Big Fish got problems too - DaniWeb
    I thought I would share this, as I found it very open and interesting regarding recent struggles for DaniWeb. It is also insightful about how recent Google Algorithm changes over the past year have seemed to randomly impact User Generated Content sites. Historically UGC sites have thrived and been championed by Google search results, and many still are, yet more than a few which have done well for a very long time are now facing struggles they can't understand.

Here's the link with details from Dani:
    DaniWeb Search Struggle with Google Updates
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

This is a good read. And on the subject of Daniweb & my programming queries, if I was logged in to G, I would block bigresource.com from my results. Why are scraped questions ranked higher than the original source? I don't want to have to "click" to get the answer, that site should have been ranked higher in the first place.

I posted my own question overnight, but wasn't bold enough to list my site..

Glad you liked it.

I understand her frustration as well, as a couple forums I work with were impacted at the same time by the same update, and there are no answers out there to what happened or why. These are sites that have had consistent performance from a year over year perspective, one since 1998 and the other since 2004. For sites like that, or like DaniWeb, Google SERPs have made a statement for a long time that they are doing something right. Not lately though.

But other UGC sites, identical in nature and platform and ran by the same people, haven't experienced the drastic drop off in November - so whatever the change in algorithm, it is keying in on something but no one knows what.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Thanks!!
    Thank you so much for your support. I just had to sign up here after coming across this thread upon Googling myself.

Unfortunately, we still haven't recovered. Any suggestions I might be overlooking?

Welcome to ABW!

Actually I do have a suggestion.. and I'm not sure if this was raised in the lengthy (and rather heated) discussion over at google.

Links between your two sites should be set to "nofollow".. asap. You can speed up the process by adding it to a 'disavow' file.

I'm not sure what the difference is between this site and programmingforums dot org, but you are your own biggest backlinker. And trust me, no amount of redesign can lift a penguin penalty.

The second major backlinker is lxer dot com - 7 links (each) on thousands of pages. If it's an ad, it should be nofollow - if they were just trying to be helpful, ask them to remove it (no one needs > 500k backlinks from any site!).

Just my two cents worth

Hi Teezone Thanks for the welcome!!

I dunno ... I really appreciate your suggestion, but I have to politely disagree with you with regards to having ProgrammingForums.org nofollow DaniWeb in the footer link. I'm a strong advocate of using HTML for its *intended* purpose instead of jumping through hoops trying to be grey hat or designing just for Google. The way I understand it, the intended purpose of nofollow is to indicate that you are not associated with the webpage being linked to and that you don't vouch for its contents. But, PF *is* associated with DaniWeb and *does* vouch for its contents. I think that Penguin scared everyone into nofollowing absolutely everything, but what if it's actually part of Google's algorithm to notice that the two domains are hosted on the same IP cluster and registered to the same person, and then actually penalize for using nofollow to deny a relationship when the big G knows one really exists ... maybe that would actually make Google think we're trying to pull the wool over their eyes and be considered less trustworthy!! Plus, it's not like it can be confused for a backlink for backlinks sake ... there are no keywords in the anchor text or anything. Just a simple link to the website's parent company.

When it comes to LXer, I think they're syndicating our Linux RSS feed or something. We get a new deep backlink from them every few days, so I'm happy with what Google Webmaster Tools tells me about the ratio of total links to unique linked pages.

What I think actually makes LXer a strong part of our backlink portfolio is that it seems like two of our staff writers whose content they tend to syndicate a lot also write for other publications that they syndicate as well. Their author bios on DaniWeb and the other sites link to each other, so that validates credentials it a bit IMHO.

The reason you're probably not seeing what I am is because they use a click tracker for all of their links to our articles such as DaniWeb News Stories - Technology Publication Meets Social Media but they are all 301 redirected so we at least get some of the juice.

AND OMG!!!!! I think you just discovered a huge problem!! It looks like all of the many, many thousands of deep links I had from them all got lost, most likely when we switched platforms, because they're all just redirecting to our News homepage now!! That's why you're only seeing seven links from them!! All of our thousands of deep links are all just being redirected to our ONE NEWS HOMEPAGE!! Arghhh.

7. Thanks From:

Hi Dani.. you're welcome for the welcome..

And I'm going to politely disagree with you disagreeing with me

I know a little about this topic.. nofollow does not only mean a lack of trust. It can also indicate an existing business relationship in place. It can be an ad or affiliate link (where money changes hands, and has to be set to nofollow), or a partnership of sorts. You are associating nofollow with trust, when it actually has a few different implementations.

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/96569?hl=en

What did me in was a uk version of my own site - it couldn't have been MORE transparent, same domain name, same IP, same ownership. And I have a lovely graph that serves as daily reminder to me - every time backlinks from uk to .com grew, there was a corresponding drop in traffic. I'm not theorizing here, I'm speaking from first-hand experience.

I honestly think this is a numbers game - thousands of links from ONE domain is not natural placement, hence the need for nofollow. It's not a denial of the relationship - quite the opposite, it tells google the relationship is a business/reciprocal partnership.

Thousands of links don't validate credentials, IMO.. one well-placed important link is good, too many actually become spammy.
    Last edited by teezone; February 4th, 2014 at 04:12 PM.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread