Merchant dropping affiliates in states they don't collect taxes in
    Here is a first for me. I received an email from Discount School Supply-School Supplies, Arts & Crafts on CJ that I was being terminated later this month. As I always do, I sent an email asking if I did anything to be terminated. Received a response today

"No, there is nothing you did. I've been instructed to remove affiliates in states where DSS doesn't collect taxes. Sorry. "

That was a first for me!
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Moved to the Louisiana Affiliate Tax forum. Nothing has been posted about this since 2011.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 12th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Moved o the Louisiana Affiliate Tax forum. Nothing has been posted about this since 2011.
    Chuck our legislators just finished up their session last week in Baton Rouge for 2013 and a Nexus tax wasn't even brought up. Don't know why DSS would drop an affiliate in any state that they don't collect sales tax.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

PM me the affiliate manager's contact info and I will invite them to respond here. Would like to know if this is the result of an article someone read or conference they attended. Versus advice from a CFO or politician.

Outsourced Program Manager durkp's Avatar
    Danny and Chuck, I just talked with Kent Heltne, the PM for DSS, and got an update on what happened. DSS's accounting company came to them with a list of states they had on their list as Nexus states. They had both Wisconsin and Louisiana in the list though we all know neither state is in Nexus. We were not able to dissuade DSS from removing affiliates from the program at this time, but we are hoping to get this rectified fairly shortly and invite back the affiliates affected by this issue.

As you can imagine there is never a good way to handle this situation. We value our affiliate relationships and how we communicate to them is important. So I apologize for not handling this better.

In the interim, if you can provide me with any documentation related to the Nexus situation in Louisiana we will pass it along to our client immediately in a effort to get reinstatement approved at the earliest date.

Sincerely,

Thanks Durk!

Meanwhile, if you need a good converting school supplies merchant, try Teacher Created Resources @ TeacherCreated.com. They are on CJ.

We have both TCR and DSS on the same "school supply" site and see that (for us) TCR converts better than DSS and pays 10% commission, as opposed to 5% (unless you are a rebate/loyalty site). We continue to use DSS because they have many, many more product offerings.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:

I have been out of town so I apologize for the delay in answering this but this comes from the website of the Louisiana Department of Revenue which collects our sales tax.

Do businesses with Internet sales have to collect Louisiana sales tax on their sales?

Internet sales are treated the same as catalog sales for sales tax purposes. If the business has a presence in Louisiana or delivers into Louisiana in its own trucks, it should register for and charge Louisiana sales tax on the sales it makes to Louisiana customers.

Frequently Asked Questions : Louisiana Department of Revenue
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

10. Thanks From:

I can confirm that neither Utah or Louisiana passed affiliate nexus tax laws. Both had bills in play this year, and the PMA was very active in helping shoot them down before their legislative sessions adjourned. Wisconsin does not have an affiliate nexus tax law either.

Danny Bonin, that nexus language you speak of does NOT affect affiliates. They are speaking of different kinds of 'physical presence' including companies with their own delivery trucks.

You can certainly refer DSS or any merchants to me, I'm happy to speak with them. We are closely involved in every battle in every state!
    Rebecca Madigan
    Executive Director | Performance Marketing Association
    o: 805.445.9700 (PST)

12. Thanks From:

Restockit.com just dropped me for the same reason. I don't know if they truck anything into Louisiana or what their status is currently. As far as I know, there have not been any changes to the LA tax law and affiliates??
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Would be interested in reaching out to them to see what they used to make their decision. PM any contact info you have and I will see if I can get an answer.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Restockit.com just dropped me for the same reason. I don't know if they truck anything into Louisiana or what their status is currently. As far as I know, there have not been any changes to the LA tax law and affiliates??
    @Leeann - I will take the blame for the ReStockIt.com one. You received that email by accident. You should have received a 2nd email shortly after stating my mistake; did that one ever come through?

You are still in the program, though.

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    @Leeann - I will take the blame for the ReStockIt.com one. You received that email by accident. You should have received a 2nd email shortly after stating my mistake; did that one ever come through?

You are still in the program, though.
    Yes, thank you for the quick response. All is good
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread