Question How do I get started in insurance affiliate marketing?
    Greetings. I operate several websites on different fields of interest. The most successful in terms of monetization so far has been an insurance niche site. I would like to try insurance affiliate marketing on that site. But is the process any different from affiliate marketing about other topics or are there special provisions or limitations? I am a member of the Amazon affiliate program so I know how it basically works.

My concern is the legal aspect of insurance affiliate marketing. If I don't solicit or store user information directly on my website, but place affiliate links and ads there, will I be doing OK? Is it OK to do that even if you aren't a licensed insurance agent? It'd be just like having PPC ads except I'd be paid per lead or per submitted application.

I would like to hear from others experienced in this. Thanks so much.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I used to run the affiliate program for an insurance leads aggregator. Basically it's just like running any other lead generation program, such as ones for mortgage leads, education leads, etc.

You don't have to be a licensed insurance agent to offer links on your site to insurance lead programs. It is the responsibility of the merchant here to provide all the safe guards and meet the legal requirements. Do be careful about what you write about, however, so that you are never making a recommendation, but rather only sharing information.

You are correct about not collecting or storing any user information, though it would be okay to collect email addresses for a newsletter if you use a double-opt in process and you're very clear about what information will be collected and how it will be used.

It is a highly profitable vertical, but one with lots of competition. Best wishes on this new project!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks, JCrooks. Is it OK if I join affiliate programs of several companies (say, AllState, Geico) so long as I don't endorse any or all of them? Not just a lead aggregation site?

Hi webwriter,

While you are waiting for an answer, try running this phrase through
    a search engine:

"special considerations for insurance affiliate marketing"

I got a mix of answers, some looked more useful than others.
    Insurance is not my niche nor will it be but I just tried the search to
    see what would come up. Good luck.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Yes, you may work with whomever you wish! As the site owner you get to choose what merchants appear on your site.

Just make sure that however the information is collected, it is not shared with more than one merchant. We had one affiliate who collected the information himself, then completed the lead forms for multiple merchants. This violated all sorts of privacy rules, as well as the rules of the merchants. Fortunately I know that you are already well aware of privacy considerations and know better than doing something that foolish to collect a few extra bucks.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks for the replies! I will try to google again. I must say I was surprised at how hard it was to find a definite answer concerning the legal aspects of insurance affiliate marketing. I've already checked with my state's licensing department. They said the laws for lead generation are still being worked out, but for now they told me to make sure I don't endorse a specific company or gather data specifically for them. They also hinted they're aware that many companies sponsor websites like that. What concerns me somewhat is getting visitors from around the country (or world), not just my state. But if I'm just placing ads, I don't see how it can be an issue.

You can be sure I won't pass info on to multiple companies. In fact, I won't even store or solicit data myself as I said. I think only an insurance agent who's licensed should do that.

I know how competitive it is. I prefer to work with a small niche in the field.

Thank you again!

I know nothing about insurance affiliate marketing, but I've been affiliate marketing in general for a while.

If this helps, here's what I do.

First, I find out where people hang out online.

It doesn't matter what demographic you're targeting, you need to figure out where they hang out.

After that, you can begin to get targeted traffic.

Maybe buy a banner on whatever site they hang out on?

Maybe use PPV popups to target them? (more ninja)

Maybe offer to pay a list owner of whatever site your demographic hangs out at?

I hope this general information helps..

Think of your demographic, and then where they hang out online.

And then, you can cherry pick them.

Just my $.02

We do something in a niche market for real estate, which is another insanely regulated market. On EVERY page I have a lengthy disclaimer.
    Last edited by Bill; August 4th, 2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Sorry, pulled three paragraphs to use in a blog post.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread