Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador isellstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,659
    Your program name in datafeeds - caution
    So, each month I have a handful of merchants who change their program name in the portal. IMHO, this is something you should not do lightly. Here is why...

    My website has picked a user friendly name for your program. When you change your merchant name in CJ, ShareASale, etc, I assume you are going through a re-branding exercise and I suspend your presence on my website until I get time to re-evaluate what is going on.

    Why do I pick a friendly name instead of the default name? Well, because some merchants use a name like, "WidgetCoXXX - The best source for Widgets In The World"... Another issue in that one, don't use your affiliate portal name for marketing copy.

    When we do HTML page layout, we want to control the flow of our elements while keeping a pleasant user experience. Merchant names that are too long need to be shortened while retaining readability.

    Another issue, you may use "widget commerce" in your datafeed, but the landing page might be "blueskywidgets.com". In this case, your parent company brand isn't appropriate for datafeeds and I need to override it with something that make sense.

    Now, what happens when a merchant changes their name? Their sales stop on my site, for about 2-3 weeks on average. I saw this with CPO Outlets for instance, which changed their name to "CPO Commerce" recently. My "rebranding" filter caught it and I turned them off for 3 weeks until I got around to processing all the merchants who rebranded over the last month.

    I'd be curious if other affiliates have issues when merchants re-name their affiliate programs, use marketing copy in their program name, or have a parent company/destination website conflict.

  2. Thanks From:

  3. #2
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I'd be curious if other affiliates have issues when merchants re-name their affiliate programs, use marketing copy in their program name, or have a parent company/destination website conflict.
    Great - something new to fret about. Thanks.

    Actually, we usually name them by their website name. If it changes (hasn't happened too often) we can rename them and move on...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  4. #3
    ABW Ambassador isellstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Great - something new to fret about. Thanks.

    Actually, we usually name them by their website name. If it changes (hasn't happened too often) we can rename them and move on...
    I thought about using the website address, but I went for a little more readability. I think I was setting stage initially for also using a merchant logo. Well, 10 years later and I still haven't implemented the logo, too many issues with having to keep it current or the branding police get after you.

  5. #4
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I thought about using the website address, but I went for a little more readability. I think I was setting stage initially for also using a merchant logo. Well, 10 years later and I still haven't implemented the logo, too many issues with having to keep it current or the branding police get after you.
    We use both logos and text, depending what page a visitor is on. Logo changes seem to happen in groups lol. Good thing is the merchants always seem to give you a heads up. "Hey we've changed our logo".

    For text if the merchant goes by Example.com on their site, that's what we use. If they go by Example (no domain ext) then we go with that. In other words - how they brand themselves on their website is what we use...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. New Years Eve Fireworks - CAUTION: May be Addictive
    By Bill in forum Virtual Family and Off-Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 31st, 2007, 10:59 AM
  2. PETCO.com CAUTION!
    By ssan_com in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 5th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •