Software to dynamically change page contents according to user behaviour
    Hi dear fellows,

for quite a while I have been searching for a software - serverbased or cloud - which can dynamically change the content of a webpage based on the behaviour of the user visiting it. E.g. if the user stays longer than usual on a (text/picture-)section of the page the remainder of the page should be changed.

I think that would be a nifty tool but no search in Google and the common affiliate forums brought up something like that. I do not mean common A/B-testing tools but software that changes the site content in realtime according to the user behaviour.

Does somebody know something like that?

cheers!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You would have to write it yourself based on the search engine referring keyword. Probably in php. Perhaps someone else knows of a commercial product.

Thanks for your answer Chuck. To clarify this: what I mean is a page that changes its content according to the time the user spends with a paragraph or in general a section of the page that is visible on the screen. That goes a bit further than changing with the referred URL.
    Does nobody know of such a thing? This could be handy to increase the time on site of the users...

As Chuck said, you might need to pay a developer for a custom solution - I'm guessing something in javascript..

Personally I thinks it's a good idea, the only problem I foresee (and perhaps the reason you haven't found an existing script already in existence), is how it might be perceived by google when the site is crawled.

Showing different content to users and bots is considered 'cloaking', and no matter how good your intentions might be, unfortunately we live in an internet world where we have to abide by these guidelines or risk a penalty. It kinda sucks as it kills off this type of innovation.

Having said that, you might get closer if you search javascript repositories.

Yes after some more searching I could not come up with any ready solution for this. It's strange, this would have very positive effects on time on site and thus CPC rates, SERPs, conversions and more.

Cloaking:
    Thanks for pointing this out, didn't have it on the radar. But by Google's definition Cloaking is manipulating the content especially for SE's which would not be the case here. Neither is the user agent touched nor will any SE crawler get different content as its reading time will always be in the milliseconds and thus always the same content is delivered.

You could do it with ajax. Change specific page elements based on interaction with other page elements. If you need to change the content based on a product name, or specific keyword (jeans, shoes, whatever), you could leverage our api.

Our Performance Ads sort of do this, but it isn't based on the amount of time on a specific portion of a page, but rather a series of things we look at when a page loads (retargeting products, checking serp referrer, checking historical performance of products on a specific page, etc). It's an interesting idea. I may have to experiment with it

I didn't say it was cloaking, I said "how it might be perceived by google when the site is crawled".. they now execute AJAX/Javascript.

I'm guessing something in javascript
    You could do it with ajax
    AJAX = Asynchronous JavaScript and XML

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    AJAX = Asynchronous JavaScript and XML
    lol, i'm aware. I wasn't directing it toward you as a different way to do it, just confirming what you stated

You might also look at something like pjax if you are changing a container and need a new url, or an indexable url at least. Again, it's difficult to say how search engines will treat these dynamic elements, but worth exploring. https://github.com/defunkt/jquery-pjax

I put our two comments together for the OP..

In my own experience - and only as a starting point when looking for scripts - javascript repositories will yield more results. One generally leads to the other.. I just wanted to connect the dots.

10. Thanks From:

a simple system might change parts of a page after a certain number of seconds.
    The internet is a fad.

Prosperent: Thanks for your input, nice software package you developed I guess if you don't know of a solution for the problem I stated, there probably isn't one yet. I figured out some more practical problems but I think I'll test out if such a system - purely reacting to user behaviour - would bring any advantages over the common systems. If you or anyone else would like to get updated according to the results please leave me a PM. And of course I'll post it here as well

Gibson: my intention would rather be to change the contents according to the user's behaviour, not after a fixed time. Only then could you deliver contents matching his mood, personality etc.

13. Thanks From:

I don't think you can send or receive pm's yet, but definitely keep me updated on your findings. If you would like to discuss what you have in mind in more detail, it may even be something that we can build and give you access to.

15. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread