Joining more then one affiliate network?
    Hi, nice bunch of people here

I have a travel based forum that I want to monetize with affiliate links. Basically I am just starting to research the business, so I have some basic and hopefully not very annoying questions.

1. There are some airlines, that participate in a different affiliate networks. Am I allowed generally to join as many networks as I want or I should only stick to one, which will mean I won't be able to promote some of the airlines?

2. Also in general, is it more profitable to stick to one brand or give your members as many options as possible? What I mean is that I can offer them 10 hotel sites, thus they will likely find the cheapest price checking all of them out, but they might feel overwhelmed and not book through my links at all. Or I should stick and push one brand only and although it won't give the best results to my members, at least it will be very easy and user friendly to them? Which strategy brings more revenue?

Thanks in advance

Lightbulb
    Welcome to ABW!

1. different networks provide different tools. eventually you'll join several because of that and pick the version that might work for you. Best now to make your site look really good to the networks to be sure of acceptance.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    It's very normal in the industry for affiliates to join multiple networks. Since programs you may want are not available on all networks, it's best for you to find the right program for your visitors, rather than being focusing on a single network affiliation. Networks understand that, and have no problems with it.

As far as your second question, that may be something you'll want to test. I've seen sites use 10 successfully. Personally, I enjoy having lots of options when booking hotel rooms.

Putting on my network hat, travel is one of our strongest verticals at Affiliate Window! Just let me know if you need a code to join our network.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks, all is clear for now. I am sure there will be more questions coming from me in the future

JCrooks, my site is EU based, I see that your network is more USA centric, so won't be the best match I guess, sorry for the off-topic.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I wouldn't offer 10 hotel programs if they offered multiple hotel lines. I find that sites like Kayak offer too many choices and they don't find more rooms. I would focus on the big hotel sites and push their promotions.

We're actually building out a travel api for our affiliates right now. We work with the travel merchants from cj, linkshare, pepperjam, avantlink, affiliatewindow, and link connector. We normalize the data from all of the top travel merchants and provide an api so you can easily access all of that data. We're building some cool features into it like geo lookups so you can display all of the hotels within X miles of a location for example. If you are interested in checking it out let me know.

Since you are EU based, this will give you our UK site and the 1300 merchants available there.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I wouldn't offer 10 hotel programs if they offered multiple hotel lines. I find that sites like Kayak offer too many choices and they don't find more rooms. I would focus on the big hotel sites and push their promotions.
    Thanks, that is my opinion too, especially in the hotel market where price difference between sites is practically non existent. But I don't know, maybe more choice works better and people here are definitely more experienced.

To the rest - thank you for the offers, I'll keep my mind open.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You could offer both either with an A/B split test or a link to More Choices page from your home page.

Do consider offering more choices for those hotel chains with a variety of prices. I've seen some rooms vary by $50USD or more, depending on the source.

Affiliate Manager
    Great question! This is a very commonly asked question. Believe it or not, it is not against most Affiliate Networks' rules, to be a member of as many affiliate networks. Be sure to read about each network when signing up. My only tip would be to not join too many and get overwhelmed. Being active in several affiliate networks will most likely be beneficial to you and your earning goals. Best of luck!
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR, [URL="http://bit.ly/1oapxzB"]Boost Affiliates[/URL]

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Don't forget that at the heart of your marketing must be a desire to solve your customer's/visitor's problems. So choose products/networks based on that.

It always goes back to the Golden Rule... is this something I would buy myself and sell to my mother? Does the network help me to do that?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread