...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What is the fascination with...
    FLASH SALES?

Huh? I can understand the concept and the play on "Flash Mobs".

But how many affiliates really can respond to a "FLASH ANNOUNCEMENT" to promote said sale?

Bit hard to do anything when the sale begins at 11AM EST, lasts for an hour, and we get the announcement at 11:15AM EST.

Just don't see the fascination...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

You would have to have a very narrow niche with tons of traffic. Not very useful for 99% of affiliates.

I think it's a fad....

Ugh, I hate Flash Sale emails.. or how about the "coupon valid for the next 6 hours".. sent 3 hours into the promotion?

I have rejected offers from merchants that specialize in private sales or daily offers.. there's just no point.

This thread is appealing to my cranky self today.. things that annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    You would have to have a very narrow niche with tons of traffic. Not very useful for 99% of affiliates.
    If there was a MINIMUM of 24 hours warning, then it could easily be marketed by a greater number of affiliates. We have a featured section that is contextually triggered. Other affiliates may have a nice size mailing list and they could send out a blast (like the merchants are doing). But otherwise, it's worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    I think it's a fad....
    I hope so, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Ugh, I hate Flash Sale emails.. or how about the "coupon valid for the next 6 hours".. sent 3 hours into the promotion?

Yes, 6 hour sales, or one day sales sent without notice. Grrrrr.

This thread is appealing to my cranky self today.. things that annoy me.
    Hence the "Open-endedness" of the subject line -

Good vent thread...

I get my share of those "flash" offer announcements and I simply shake my head and hit "Delete." I don't have time to post and then remove short-term deals.

And...don't get me started on the AMs who mail out the notice...already into the sale period...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I hate Flash Sales and never promote them.

8. Thanks From:

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Oh, when I get them and I'm around all I do is post it on my facebook fan page, this seems the best place for it.

Even I have gotten a bit sophisticated when it comes to coupons (which I avoided dealing with for the longest time ;-) But if the flash sale is posted through the network, it has a start date and an end date and it simply shows up on my coupon page on the required date. It'll be there for 24 hours regardless of the 6 hr nature of it, but such is life, in general the flash sales happen during the afternoon anyway so what does it matter if its posted a few hours early or stays on a few hours too long.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

10. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    So if an affiliate manager would give you 48 hrs notice for a 4 hour sale would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    So if an affiliate manager would give you 48 hrs notice for a 4 hour sale would that work?
    We would promote it.

Every morning we go through sales/promotions and enter them. They have start/stop dates. Any Coupons are added to product pages and sales are added to the featured section at the top of each product page. The featured section can be weighted by us and targeted by keywords, IP, country, US State, day parting - whatever.

Yeah, 48 hours notice would work...

My flash sales for Flirty Aprons are usually one to three days in length. I have nearly 1,000 mommy bloggers and we sell thousands of aprons. It usually empties the warehouse of excess inventory so they can order more.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

14. Thanks From:

(note to self, start selling aprons for Greg...)

16. Thanks From:

Also, if the sale starts Tuesday, I send the newsletter on Tuesday. If I send the newsletter on Monday, several dozen mommy bloggers will post it on Monday and the code isn't even ready yet.

Their inexperience as affiliates turns into a customer nightmare, no matter what warnings or embargo you put on the sale. We've learned our lessons over the last 4 years.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

18. Thanks From:

I don't understand convergences answer. If he has a program that deals with sales then it doesn't matter if you give him the sale 2 days before or the morning of the sale.

But if he handles the sales manually, then getting the sale 2 days early doesn't help because you have to wait 2 days to promote it so you have to keep the email around. I say send the flash sale information at 3 am and then every morning at the same time each day (like a regular job) you can deal with the promotion and then remove the email. But obviously if the sale starts at noon, sending the email at 11 am or later is kind of silly.

Although I do maintain that the best way to handle such a sale is through facebook fan pages where an affiliate can attract people who aren't already at their site to their site with current information. I also have a 'large' facebook box so my visitors can see the sale too.

I agree with Greg as long as that email goes out in the early AM.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

20. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    I don't understand convergences answer. If he has a program that deals with sales then it doesn't matter if you give him the sale 2 days before or the morning of the sale.
    It does matter when we get them, Oranges - because some mornings we have a ton of promotions to set up, It's not just slapping up a single link or banner - more like creating a tailored PPC campaign for each merchant/text ad/banner, etc...

You are working too hard. It is silly to have a general rule that you have to create a pseudo-campaign for each promotion. You should have a template that handles pretty much all campaigns and it should be run out of a database that collects the promtions from the network's promotion feeds.

Special cases like flash sales you should be able to deal with in the morning. But in general all promotions should be handled in the typical Convergence way (whatever that is and should require very very little human interaction.

I keep telling you, the best time saving device is to write good strong code the first time. But the second is to go back when you haven't and take the time to rewrite the code. You have been doing this long enough to know exactly the types of coupons/promotions there are and how to automatically handle it.

Telling me there will be a flash sale two days early in an email does me no good b/c either it would be handled automatically anyway regardless of when it came in or if I needed to do something special, its best to do it when I get it. If its two days before I'll probably forget about it when the time comes.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

23. Thanks From:

Guess that's what makes us different

I have a custom app with the start & stop date/time function built-in for offers, so it will manage the display properly on my site, but frankly without enough notice, it's just not worth the manual input.

Having said that, there are a select few stores that convert well.. but it's all a matter of priority.

The most offensive messages come in at 8pm for a free shipping offer that ends at midnight! Although I'm guessing emails might be throttled (ie. sent out in batches at the server level).

26. Thanks From:

I have a custom app with the start & stop date/time function built-in for offers, so it will manage the display properly on my site, but frankly without enough notice, it's just not worth the manual input.
    We have some customization as well - if the merchant allows it, we can push a few buttons and their offer can show up on websites we do not own/control - as PPC ads and we pay the publisher for any clicks...

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    We're on the same page w/ Greg, generally email out several deals just before they go live and sell hundreds if not thousands of products in a span of 3-4 days the sales are active

Super hot deals run out within 24 hours but most deals are active for at least 3 days, generally 7 days.

Exception to the rule would be a week-end flash sale, we generally send an update couple of days in advance to trusted partners only. Sending a week-end flash sale announcement on a Friday afternoon to all is rather inconsiderate.

Affiliate Manager
    Wouldn't it be easier if the merchant set up domain.com/flashsale with dedicated creative in the network which updated automatically with the newest sale?

The affiliate could keep it on the site saving them a lot of time. The AM could still send a newsletter the day of special offers so affiliates could promote it in areas that don't work with "set it and forget it" type of creative.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    You are working too hard. It is silly to have a general rule that you have to create a pseudo-campaign for each promotion. You should have a template that handles pretty much all campaigns and it should be run out of a database that collects the promtions from the network's promotion feeds.

Special cases like flash sales you should be able to deal with in the morning. But in general all promotions should be handled in the typical Convergence way (whatever that is and should require very very little human interaction.

I keep telling you, the best time saving device is to write good strong code the first time. But the second is to go back when you haven't and take the time to rewrite the code. You have been doing this long enough to know exactly the types of coupons/promotions there are and how to automatically handle it.

Telling me there will be a flash sale two days early in an email does me no good b/c either it would be handled automatically anyway regardless of when it came in or if I needed to do something special, its best to do it when I get it. If its two days before I'll probably forget about it when the time comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Guess that's what makes us different
    There is a difference between planned/scheduled sales and flash sales. However, there is no difference if a merchant announces any sale the morning of or during the sale - just makes it far too difficult to PROPERLY promote the sale.

Take Brown Shoe company - they send out a full month of promotions. In turn we can enter them into our system, set start/stop dates, enter contextual keywords, etc - the promotions are then PROPERLY targeted and very optimized for the greatest chance of a click through and a sale.

Any individual campaign can be "weighted". Meaning, for whatever reason, ie: We like the merchant, the AM, higher commissions, etc, we can make that promotion show more frequently.

We can do this with text ads, banner ads, and hybrid ads (text/image/product).

"Set it and forget it" - is far less work than entering in promotions in a rush...
    Attached Images Attached Images

31. Thanks From:

32. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread