The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Smile Websites running on smart phones
    I am sure there must have been a discussion about this, but I am too lazy to look for it. If there is one, post with the url of the discussions. But,

How does a website know that it is being displayed on a smart phone? Someone must have come up with a quick way. I suppose I could check for if the OS is an iPhone OS, but then I would have to check for Andriod and I'm sure there r lots of OSs that I don't know and I don't want to have to keep checking and refining the code every few months. For my site, I am only concerned with smart phones, tablets are big enough to not need any conversion with my site. So I don't want to have a solution that says, if its any mobile then use 'the mobile' screen format.

After a little thought, it seems to me, that if you put a nice button on your site in the upper left hand corner under one's logo that says "Convert to Smart Phone Format" or something similar that that might be the best solution. Then a visitor can come to your site. Everyone sees the top left corner of a site even on a smart phone, they click it and you can optimize your page for a smart phone.

How are you guys dealing with this problem? Are there other solutions? Is there a standard solution?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I check their max screen width in css and then adjust my sites layout to match their screen. Here is the line in css that checks their screen width:

@media screen and (max-width: 480px){

/* redefine css here for mobile layout */

}
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

3. Thanks From:

But it says that the screen resolution of an iphone is 320 x 48o which is find but of an iphone 4 is 640 x 960 and an iphone 5 is is 640 x 1136. Now 640 x 1136 is fine for a pad or a laptop/pc but makes everything incredibly small for an iphone. Hell my pc screen resolution is 1152 x 864 which is comparable if we assume this type of thing will continue why bother doing anything to be smart phone compatible? It really already is.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Yes I agree it is impossible to program for all devices, I have been taught to worry about screen resolution and not the device type. I did 5 days of in class CSS advance training and the instructor suggested that we work with screen resolution and not device. So far that working for me.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

When you was taught that were smart phone resolutions 960 and above? One can assume that in a year phones with 480 will be so obsolete as to become irrelavant. Sort of like when software was sold on floppies. Overnight it seemed that all software was only on cds. There were lots of pcs that still had floppies, but it was assumed hey software is only going to come on CDs upgrade because you aren't be supported. How many phones don't have a 960+ resolution and if that is the case, do we really need to do anything to make our sites smartphone compatible?

Maybe the discussion should be is it now possible (and practical) to design websites that work on both smart phones and (tablets, laptops, desktops) without any modifications? Should we abandone (well I never started) site modifications for smart phones and just make our sites with general practices that look good and work well on both?

It seems to me that we hold smart phones closer to our faces than monitors/tablets and thus the screen size is irrelavent. But the real big difference is more related to the keyboard size and type of smart phones not the screen size/resolution.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

My newer sites are designed for all three devices and I use the same code for all three but change the layout/image Size/Font via CSS based on the resolutions of the device.

I did the training 6 month's ago so yes we used iPhone 5 as an example. Chrome has some great plug-ins that allow you to see your site as they appear on any device.

Responsive design is the way forward IMO. We spent some significant time recently redoing our main site in a responsive framework. No one wants to download a mobile app for each site they visit, and matching a referrer doesn't always work. Responsive designs will scale to whatever resolution is requested.

9. Thanks From:

I'm back from vacation.

I know what you mean, but the problem isn't as easy as it seems at least not for me. One of the problems is that if its a smart phone what I want is less elements to be displayed not just rearranged. But to do that you have to do that is php. But of course php doesn't know how big the screen is that is found in javascript and then you have to connect the two languages.

Another complication is that even though iphone 5 have a screen width that is almost as big as my desktop (iphone 5 is 1136x640, my desktop is 1184x864) the problem would be not the width but the length, but you can turn the iphone to portrait from landscape so you can't just check for the length and tablets are big enough that no fix is required at all regardless of whether it is landscape or portrait.

On the old smart phones of a couple years back there was so much of a difference in resolution size that a fix was needed, not its getting that is becoming only necessary on the margins (if designed right.) Do we need to design for a smart phone that is lesser than an iphone phone 4 resolution? Will in a short time will it be not necessary to make any distinctions between a laptop/desktop and a smart phone. That day may be coming.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Cindy Krum is an expert on Mobile Marketing, and her mobile marketing toolset is great. This may offer you some assistance with some of these questions. She spoke at one of our Denver Affiliate Summit Meetups and she was brilliant!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

12. Thanks From:

Hi,

Two words will solve all of your issues: Responsive Design!

Trust me, this is the future - the website will morph and change its size to match the screen it is being displayed on - this is the only way I will build sites from now on and it prevents you having to use a canonical to prevent duplicate content etc.

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    I'm back from vacation.

I know what you mean, but the problem isn't as easy as it seems at least not for me. One of the problems is that if its a smart phone what I want is less elements to be displayed not just rearranged. But to do that you have to do that is php. But of course php doesn't know how big the screen is that is found in javascript and then you have to connect the two languages.

Another complication is that even though iphone 5 have a screen width that is almost as big as my desktop (iphone 5 is 1136x640, my desktop is 1184x864) the problem would be not the width but the length, but you can turn the iphone to portrait from landscape so you can't just check for the length and tablets are big enough that no fix is required at all regardless of whether it is landscape or portrait.

On the old smart phones of a couple years back there was so much of a difference in resolution size that a fix was needed, not its getting that is becoming only necessary on the margins (if designed right.) Do we need to design for a smart phone that is lesser than an iphone phone 4 resolution? Will in a short time will it be not necessary to make any distinctions between a laptop/desktop and a smart phone. That day may be coming.
    There are frameworks that handle all of what you described. We used foundation for our responsive design: Foundation: The Most Advanced Responsive Front-end Framework from ZURB

16. Thanks From:

What's the purpose for checking the device?

If you're looking to just change the site layout, that's one thing. Responsive will take care of that for you. But keep in mind it's just CSS adjustments based on the size of the display. Device type doesn't matter.

If you want to do something more advanced - e.g.) if the user is on an iPhone and you want to serve them something specific to an iPhone, take a look at RESS. (Responsive + Server-Side Components.)

RESS - Responsive Design + Server Side Components

LukeW | RESS: Responsive Design + Server Side Components

Getting started with RESS | Tutorial | .net magazine

More sophisticated than straight-up responsive, but useful.

18. Thanks From:

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread