I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    OK. I don't know about you, but these parasite programs are REALLY EATING INTO MY REVENUE STREAM.

Here's an idea for CJ...

Most parasite programs are hard-coded to look for qksrv.net and commission-junction.com links.

How about CJ RIGHT NOW (and regularly after that) add ANOTHER host name as a link option.

So maybe people could change all their www.qksrv.net links to say www.qqqxxx.net

This would mean that the parasites wouldn't hijack them, and advert-killers like kazaa-lite's list HOSTS file trick would be ineffective.

The ONLY DOWNSIDE I can see to this (apart from having to change bulk HTML link codes - which could be done easily by search and replace) is that current cookie info would no longer be able to be credited. So we'd be starting afresh if we decided to use the new hostname.

The INSTANT upside would be the immediate unblocking of CJ clickthroughs on machines that have EVER had kazaa-lite installed.

How about it Todd?

I don't think this idea is good, i mean developers of parasites can also change their program to reflect the new domain.

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

I like traffic lights
    Of course, now would be a good time to seperate out the image server hostname so it's different fromthe hostname used for clicks, because from then on, the adblocker software (which is mainly try to "get rid of annoying banner adverts") would not be blocking click-throughs as well.

So continue to use www.qksrv.net for image serving, but use qqqzzz.net or whatever JUST FOR LINK URLS.

And don't redirect though commission-junction.com afterwards, as that would defeat the reason for doing this.

ABW Ambassador
    A better idea would be for CJ to kick out the parasites and stop giving them awards.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

I like traffic lights
    >I don't think this idea is good, i mean developers of parasites can also change their program to reflect the new domain.

That's why I said "and regularly after that".

Cat and mouse - when the major parasites update, you change the hostname again.

Do you want to be paid for your work, or not?

I like traffic lights
    >A better idea would be for CJ to kick out the parasites and stop giving them awards.

Sure, but that does nothing to stop the adblocking software.

Copy the HOSTS file from http://www.kazaalite.com onto your computer (as instructed) and then go to one of your websites and click on a CJ text link and see what happens.

NOTHING.

Do you know how many people's teenage children have downloaded kazzlite and installed it on their credit-card-wielding parents computer?

This can be easily and instantly cured by CJ changing their links so that they're from a different hostname/domain from the image server.

Of course, for eBay links, admedia would also have to change the hostname of their tracking server as well.

ABW Ambassador
    Drewbert
    I think the main point you are missing here is that CJ do not want to stop parasite theft. They love the parasites, give them awards and would do anything to keep them happy.

Andy Williams

quote:
    Originally posted by perfectG:
    Drewbert
    I think the main point you are missing here is that CJ do not want to stop parasite theft.

Let's make them stop then, by collectively putting some "pressure" on...

Drewbert, great idea!

quote:
    Most parasite programs are hard-coded to look for qksrv.net and commission-junction.com links.

How about CJ RIGHT NOW (and regularly after that) add ANOTHER host name as a link option.

They are set to look for domains like that - so they can avoid them. Certainly I see TopMoxie complying with this and don't get overwrites on links to/through the main networks.

In my experience, if you're using main network links, afsrc=1 and/or frames, you're immune to "compliant" software like TopMoxie (ebates etc). There's a remaining issue that subsequent type-in or bookmarked visits will overwrite affiliate cookies, but we're talking about a subset of a subset by this stage.

Maybe you're having problems with other parasites, but that's my experience with the TopMoxie types.

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by yanni:
    Let's make them stop then, by collectively putting some "pressure" on...

How might we do that?

quote:
    Originally posted by yanni:
    Drewbert, great idea!

I agree with Icepenguin. The parasites would change their code quicker than a TopMoxie redirect.

Andy Williams

I like traffic lights
    BIG SIGH.

OK. Forget about the parasites for a minute.

What about the adblocking by programs like KazaaLite?

THINK ABOUT IT.

Drewbert,

I think the only viable solution is that CJ take action [on behalf of it's publishers and merchants] against kazaa and the others, but I don't see that happening.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

I like traffic lights
    I see it happening, in the adblocking area, at least.

adblocking via the HOSTS file is preventing even CJ text links from working. This isn't an eBates situation, where CJ gets the sale anyway. This is COMPLETE BLACKHOLING of traffic destined for CJ and it's advertisers.

Now, lets look at a guesstimated breakdown of computers that have the nasty hostfile on them.

50% are computers where some member of the family downloaded and installed KazaaLite, but no longer uses it (due to lack of interest, parental ear-clipping or suchlike).

20% are computers that someone is using KazaaLite but not actively upgrading it, or the HOSTS file.

30% are computers that are being actively upgraded continuously.

This means that if CJ changed their link hostname (the A HREF="http://www.qksrv.net...) so it was different from the image hostname (the IMG="http://www.qksrv.net...) we would see a permanent 70% recovery of revenue coming from KazaaLite enabled computers.

PERMANENT RECOVERY.

Forget the parasite argument, WHAT'S THE DOWNSIDE ON THIS?????

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread