Post What will make you read an email from your Advertiser?
    Hi guys,

I'm now trying to optimize our newsletters. Right now the opening rate is pretty low: for the emails we send through Commission Junction it's about 8%.

I try to make the emails as concise as possible, because I understand that each affiliate receives dozens of those weekly.

We send two kinds of emails: with coupons (once in three months) and newsletters announcing a new promo (monthly).

So, my questions is: what makes affiliates open an email? What would you like to find in there? What irritates you about the newsletters from advertisers?

Any advice will be precious for me!

each affiliate receives dozens of those weekly
    I wish.. it's more like 100+ daily!!

For me, there has to be affiliate links IN the email, start & stop dates for promotions, and clear contact info at the bottom.

Same as teezone - far more newsletters than dozens weekly. I don't do coupons or special promotions - so those are deleted at once.

For me to open an email there has to be something compelling me to do so in the subject line.
    Examples:
    • "New line of products."
    • "Best sellers list for the summer season."
    • "Best converting banner with 10% CTR."
    • "Your sales will no longer be poached by couponers."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

4. Thanks From:

I read all the monthly newsletters. Like teezone I agree links must be in the email. I won't log in for links. sounds like you are already doing what I like. I just hate short term promotions emails and reminder emails about promotions I already posted. I'll start ignoring merchants emails if I know that merchant send multiple emails about the same promotions.

Also, newsletters that are just 1 big image that don't let me copy and paste text get deleted immediately

6. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Agree, subject line is the first thing you need to resolve to increase your open rate. Try A/B testing. One newsletter a month and one coupon newsletter a quarter isn't enough to brand you in the mind of busy affiliates. You have to develop a reputation. And if you are focused on cramming everything in a "newsletter" rather than program updates i.e. new products, sales, coupons/deals, contests, then you are just throwing your efforts away. Less is more and frequency counts. I got so tired of the bs corporate branding newsletter with highly detailed HTML which just turned affiliates off. Be respectful of an affiliate time, concise, lots of white area, minimum verbiage and link that are coded in the newsletter.

So, I got over 2500+ advertiser on my website, I don't open 99.9%. With all respect to my advertisers it is just waste of my time to read an email about coupon codes, when I am getting them directly on my website.

Unless the advertiser want to provide something unique to my website (customized code or like my help optimize his ad, I wouldn't bother).

If the title seems personal ( directed to me and not to every affiliate on that list ) I would go ahead and read it.

We also dislike it when merchants emails are where there's a link to the network to get the ad/banners.
    Some of us rotate ads, vertical and horizontal banners, and button ads.
    For a merchant to throw out a flash ad on the day its happening, that would require us to disable all the other ads in that niche or else that ad may never even get displayed on the pages.
    We open most emails, but not all if we get the same email multiple times.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What will make you read an email from your Advertiser?
    he opening rate is pretty low: for the emails we send through Commission Junction it's about 8%
    Is the email template using pixel tracking to verify if the email has been read? If so, more of your emails are probably being read.

Example: We use Thunderbird as our email client - all emails are downloaded and can be read without showing remote hosted images. Including any tracking pixels.

Just a thought...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Subject : Advertiser's name, include content's keywords
    Content
    - mention the name of the affiliate network you use on top
    - Put all important content on top.
    - clear, concise, specific.
    - attach correct affiliate links or banners.

12. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan View Post
    Subject : Advertiser's name, include content's keywords
    Content
    - mention the name of the affiliate network you use on top
    - Put all important content on top.
    - clear, concise, specific.
    - attach correct affiliate links or banners.
    Great answer, I try to stay as close to this as possible in newsletters.
    Based on some of the first newsletters I sent I noticed that my open rate went up 7% just by including the Offer/Advertiser Name, Network and Content Keywords

14. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    1....I read communications from merchants who I make money with.

2...I do not do special promotions...usually....Not enough time in the day.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I get hundreds if not thousands of e-mails a day from merchants. Unless it catches my eye right when it comes in, i'm probably not going to see it. I wish we had a way to only opt in to specific "types" of e-mails. I don't have time to read promotions, so for me I am only interested in terms changes and commission related messages. (I was recently on vacation for a week. 22,000 e-mails in that time)

I too get 100's of e-mails a day. I read e-mails from merchants who make me a lot of money, sales contest e-mails, commission bump e-mails, and TOS change e-mails, assuming I can figure out the topic from the title. If an e-mail makes it into my Gmail priority inbox, I'm probably more likely to read it. I've got 33,123 unread e-mails in my inbox right now...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I've got 33,123 unread e-mails in my inbox right now...

AL - 1,761
    GAN - 5,992
    LS - 5,986
    CJ - 20,918
    PJX - 4,013
    SAS - 8,852
    AW - 7,608

And I go through them every day and scan the sender names and subject line. You get to know which merchants' emails are worthless and which are not...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I wonder if we can develop the ABW nomenclature for merchant email subject lines that make sense.

[Network] Merchant Name - Promotion - Expiration Date

[Network] Merchant Name - Commission Change - Expiration Date

etc.

20. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the tips guys, I am about to start sending out e-newsletters to our affiliate partners. I've always tried my best to make sure the subject line is perfect, but its all about testing in most cases, unless of course you come here and simply ask them what they want .
    One great tip I have learned here is about placing the actual link in the email. Thanks guys, I was going to place links for the affiliate to login, but now I wont.

Cheers

robolist what network are you working with?

Thanks for sharing .

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread