Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2013
    Posts
    5
    Guest Blogging
    Hi All!
    I had a question about guest bloggers. One of my marketing approaches for my site will be to have blogger guest write on an 'articles' section of my site. If the articles are product reviews I plan to use something such as skimlinks and split the commission. If it is an article without a review I would slap some banner ads on the page and split the commissions. Is this an accepted practice? I want to be able to motivate good content writers to contribute to my blog and make sure they receive their fair share of the commission.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Location
    Park City Utah
    Posts
    16,646
    Are you going to advertise for guest bloggers? How are they going to know that they made a sale if the affiliate account is in your name?

  3. #3
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2010
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina
    Posts
    93
    More often than not "good content writers" guest blog as a link building strategy and not to make money off of affiliate links. An affiliate link isn't worth as much as a regular link in terms of SEO so that might not be the best approach for attracting quality writers to contribute to your site.
    Mike Hourigan
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.shoeboxed.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=signature%2B&utm_campaign=abestweb"]Shoeboxed.com[/URL]
    [EMAIL="mikeh@team.shoeboxed.com"]Email[/EMAIL]|[URL="http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=131457835&trk=tab_pro"]LinkedIn[/URL]

  4. Thanks From:

  5. #4
    If you want quality content, the best route is to increase the PR of your site first. And then start getting people to guest blog on your site.

    Next, you need a great editorial team that would screen the entries. Good guest bloggers will come to your if they know their link will be counted and will be legit. It's a link building strategy for them.

  6. #5
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHourigan View Post
    More often than not "good content writers" guest blog as a link building strategy and not to make money off of affiliate links. An affiliate link isn't worth as much as a regular link in terms of SEO so that might not be the best approach for attracting quality writers to contribute to your site.
    But there's a win/win approach possibly here. Allow guest bloggers to incorporate a set number of links (you determine that) and you can also place banner links, text links or even product links within their post.

    Things to consider:
    1)The content must be valid and unique, so Google doesn't think that the guest blogger is paying the blog for the link and if the blog is getting paid you must ad a no follow to the link.
    2) Do your research on the guest blogger if you can. Ensure the legitimacy of who is guest blogging.
    3)Have a rules page about guest blogging so the guest blogger knows the rules of the game.

    I could go on and on but these are some of the things that I've incorporated in my Sports blog and my crime novel review blog. In the case of my blogs I incorporate Adsense and allow the guest blogger one link incorporated in their bio.

    I have found some bogus/spammy bloggers after doing my research ont hem,

  7. #6
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2010
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    But there's a win/win approach possibly here. Allow guest bloggers to incorporate a set number of links (you determine that) and you can also place banner links, text links or even product links within their post.
    But what in regard to actually "splitting the commissions" with the guest bloggers like pk3 suggested though? Like you said, guest blogging rules pages tend to highlight the number of links allowed. I don't recall ever seeing one (a legitimate one) that highlights links AND shared monetary gain for the guest contribution.
    Mike Hourigan
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.shoeboxed.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=signature%2B&utm_campaign=abestweb"]Shoeboxed.com[/URL]
    [EMAIL="mikeh@team.shoeboxed.com"]Email[/EMAIL]|[URL="http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=131457835&trk=tab_pro"]LinkedIn[/URL]

  8. #7
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHourigan View Post
    But what in regard to actually "splitting the commissions" with the guest bloggers like pk3 suggested though? Like you said, guest blogging rules pages tend to highlight the number of links allowed. I don't recall ever seeing one (a legitimate one) that highlights links AND shared monetary gain for the guest contribution.
    To be honest I'm not sure about that because I don't split my commission with guest blogger.

  9. #8
    Marketing Manager
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRaymund View Post
    If you want quality content, the best route is to increase the PR of your site first. And then start getting people to guest blog on your site.

    Next, you need a great editorial team that would screen the entries. Good guest bloggers will come to your if they know their link will be counted and will be legit. It's a link building strategy for them.
    If people are only blogging on your site because of Page Rank (an archaic measure of a site's SEO value) you're not going to get very much good content. Build an audience that enjoys your content then work with relevant partners to produce posts that are relevant to both of your audiences.

    You can monetize that many different ways. Skimlinks is one option.

  10. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2013
    Posts
    5
    I understand that bloggers would use it as a link building strategy, I am trying to get them to develop original content on my site. Since it will be a brand new site I don't think that alone would be enough to convince them to contribute. I wanted to use skimlinks and assumed that there was a way to split the commissions but I am not sure. Once I get established traffic it will be easier but in the beginning I am fine with sharing that revenue.

  11. #10
    Marketing Manager
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    130
    Splitting commissions and getting a backlink from a site with no traffic won't be much of an incentive either if the blogger is thinking short-term.

    As a launch strategy, I'd recommend investing (time or money) in some really great initial blog posts and a nice site design. If others see that you're serious about producing great content, they'll be more willing to write for you without instant gratification.

  12. Thanks From:

  13. #11
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Grimm View Post
    Splitting commissions and getting a backlink from a site with no traffic won't be much of an incentive either if the blogger is thinking short-term.

    As a launch strategy, I'd recommend investing (time or money) in some really great initial blog posts and a nice site design. If others see that you're serious about producing great content, they'll be more willing to write for you without instant gratification.
    I'd like to add that I believe that the majority of content should come from the blog owner. If a guest blogger feels that guest blogging is providing the majority of the content they will likely not be interested in the site.

    As a general rule I would think you'd want to be up and running for at least 3-6 months before inviting guest bloggers. By that time you should have adequate content.

  14. #12
    Member Nytshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    54
    I say work on your site and build a good readership 1st then after a few months invite guest bloggers. Guest blogging is all about getting traffic and backlinks from big sites. But maybe your idea might change the game.

    Yet build a good audience 1st!

  15. #13
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Location
    Park City Utah
    Posts
    16,646
    I get approached by guest bloggers here regularly but they have no affinity to affiliate marketing so I turn them down. Sure you can find websites happy for any original content but does that really gain you anything?

  16. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Featured: Guest Blogging
    By pryidevsblog in forum Blogging, Mobile and Social Media
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 25th, 2015, 06:37 AM
  2. Is guest blogging dead?
    By TroyH in forum Blogging, Mobile and Social Media
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 16th, 2015, 07:07 AM
  3. The Problem with Guest Blogging
    By sbizideasblog in forum Blogging, Mobile and Social Media
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 12th, 2014, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •