J&R Program Shutting Down? Bankruptcy?
    Wow, I did not see this coming. LinkShare makes it sound like they are having financial problems. I hope not, they owe me some bucks.

Dear Publisher,

On July 18th, 2013 the J&R program is going to be moved to Hold and all links will be inactivated.

J&R has been working internally with LinkShare to come up with a payment plan to pay out publishers but the client has told us they cannot give us an ETA on payment which is the direct result of shutting down the program.

Please be sure that you remove any active links on your site. They will become inactive as of end of day tomorrow.

Thank you

J&R Affiliate Program
    Last edited by isellstuff; July 18th, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

Damn, I should have paid more attention. J&R hasn't even paid me since October of 2012. This is going to be the biggest bankruptcy hit I've ever taken in my 11 years of affiliate marketing. Flipping $1,200 bucks.

Very upset that LinkShare let them go on for 9 months without collecting money.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Interviewed with them many years ago but moving to New York City was too much for a mountain guy. Never did get to visit the store but heard they were a great family run business.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Never did get to visit the store but heard they were a great family run business.
    I bought my first high-end stereo from them. I'm still using parts of it.

ABW Ambassador
    "On July 18th, 2013 the J&R program is going to be moved to Hold and all links will be inactivated."

Shocking on such a short notice.

I didn't receive the email from J&R or LS(check both inbox and spam box). If not for this thread, I have no clue they are gone today.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Of course, I just (like 2 days ago) updated the one group of links (5 brand lines for one type of product) I have for them. Plus, it's stuff for which I'll have a hard time finding a new merchant.

Rats.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Got my email notice at 5:05 PM...

I like the way LS sends out notifications that merchants are on hold/offline/discontinued...
    I found 3 more I didn't receive email from the merchant or the network...
    Guess I need to pay more attention to my site feed alerts.
    Sorry I went of topic..
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

We dropped them after they hadn't paid us for several months.

J&R hasn't even paid me since October of 2012.
    ...hadn't paid us for several months.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi all. I see I'm still listed as the contact under the J&R Advertiser Info page at LinkShare. I wanted to let you know that this info is outdated, and I am no longer with J&R. If you have questions, you can contact J&R at 212.238.9000 and ask to speak with the Online Marketing Manager.

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    We dropped them after they hadn't paid us for several months.
    That was smart, I got complacent. Back in 2008, I had a "bankruptcy" watch going and really paid attention to these type of things.

I can think of a couple of companies that are going to end up in bankruptcy at some point. Take Barnes & Noble for instance. I even worry about Best Buy. Both of these companies owe me much, much more than J&R. Hopefully their demise is still years out. (or maybe it is January 2014...)

Oh, and just an FYI for any affiliate that hasn't gone through a bankruptcy. Your outstanding commissions are gone. Note that J&R hasn't declared so there is still hope, but I personally just consider the money lost and if it ever shows up I will be pleasantly surprised.

14. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1

Ever since that UK network went belly-up, we have really been careful about watching merchants. We still want to be able to assign a maximum "credit limit" to each merchant based on payment history. Granted there are several variables in play: Network itself (payment methods), merchant pay history, and how much volume they get sent. Cash Back and sub-affiliate networks are at greater risks, they need to make sure their TOS covers such an event...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

16. Thanks From:

It's pretty simple on our end. We don't get paid, sub affiliate doesn't get paid. Puts the burden of monitoring that activity on us, but that's just one more thing the affiliates under us don't have to worry about.

Having said that, it's amazing the number of merchants that don't pay.... (maybe the better term is shocking)

CYA ...

(need to fix the all caps suppressor - will let you if you type another line)

It's pretty simple on our end. We don't get paid, sub affiliate doesn't get paid. Puts the burden of monitoring that activity on us, but that's just one more thing the affiliates under us don't have to worry about.

Having said that, it's amazing the number of merchants that don't pay.... (maybe the better term is shocking)
    Doesn't make your affiliate happy, I am currently figuring out how to handle payment to every user made a purchase through us,

The sales were legitimate, and since JR agreed on paying plan, it means, it is a manner of time before the payment go through.

As of LS, I am really disappointed at them, if the company wasn't able to continue their affiliate program, why on earth do they keep the program a live this long ?

Quote Originally Posted by OneGoodMan View Post
    As of LS, I am really disappointed at them, if the company wasn't able to continue their affiliate program, why on earth do they keep the program a live this long ?
    Because they lose nothing. If LS doesn't get paid - the really lose nothing.

Remember, with networks ONLY the AFFILIATES get screwed...

Quote Originally Posted by OneGoodMan View Post
    Doesn't make your affiliate happy, I am currently figuring out how to handle payment to every user made a purchase through us,
    Doesn't make us happy wither. That's why we fire the merchants. We monitor every merchant very closely. If we see anyone screwing over our affiliates, we drop them quickly, or handle the situation. It's just a shame that it continues. There are very few repercussions for these merchants that don't pay, and for the most part, affiliates are in the dark about it even happening in the first place.

There are very few repercussions for these merchants that don't pay, and for the most part, affiliates are in the dark about it even happening in the first place.
    Starts with the network for allowing it...

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread