Affiliate Nexus Tax goes into effect 8//28/13 in MO
    Missouri passed its affiliate nexus tax law, and it will soon go into effect. Questions from a reporter for the AP service covering MO:

- Have termination letters started coming in yet?
    - Did Amazon send theirs out yet?
    - Any affiliate marketer based in Missouri interested in speaking with the press?

The bill was voted on before anyone knew about it; no hearing, no debate, just slipped in. The governor vetoed it, but then the language was attached to SB 23, a huge garbage can bill. Not even sure he knew it.

The big box retailers are pushing this through, purely to pressure Congress. So help with AP press is not lost, it will hopefully help light a fire under Congress and the House to take up this issue.

Thanks!
    Rebecca Madigan
    Executive Director | Performance Marketing Association
    o: 805.445.9700 (PST)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Gary, get out your protest signs and get down to the capital in Jeff City.

If any Missouri-based affiliate marketers who were really badly impacted are interested in sharing your personal story with the press, a reporter's contact info is below. Don't worry, you don't have to know any of the technical details of the law, we've taken care of that already. The best thing you can do is tell him how the passage of this law will impact you personally. How many advertisers did you lose? What will that mean? Do you have to move? Lay-off people? Sharing this information can be so very helpful to our cause, it makes it personal!

Here's his contact info:

Chris Blank
    cblank@ap.org

You can mentioned I referred you, he and I have spoken a couple of times already.

Many thanks!
    Rebecca Madigan
    Executive Director | Performance Marketing Association
    o: 805.445.9700 (PST)

Yup. I got the no-fun email from Amazon just yesterday, Aug 14, telling me I'm done in Missouri on Aug 27.

I did find the last two paragraphs very interesting, and containing perhaps a tiny ray of hope that they might revisit Missouri if the feds ever get their tax act together. Those two paragraphs said:

"While we oppose this unconstitutional state legislation, we strongly support the federal Marketplace Fairness Act now pending before Congress. Congressional legislation is the only way to create a simplified, constitutional framework to resolve interstate sales tax issues and it would allow us to re-open our Associates program to Missouri residents.

"We thank you for being part of the Amazon Associates Program, and look forward to re-opening our program when Congress passes the Marketplace Fairness Act."

In immediate terms, this decision from Amazon means I've got a couple of sites from which I need to remove a number of links. In real terms, it won't impact my income much because I have never done really well with Amazon's affiliate program.

I did have a series of sites planned to try to ramp up Amazon earnings. Not now, though! LOL!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

5. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Just saw new terms for 6PM, Zappos, and Fabric.com - All include exclusions now for Missouri residents/affiliates...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

7. Thanks From:

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread