Thread: Popshops comparison tool

Popshops comparison tool
    Rather than derail the current thread about the linkshare acquisition of popshops, I decided to start a new thread.

My primary question revolves around the way some of you use popshops. It sounds like they have a product comparison tool, or at least one that pulls back relevant products based on a query.

We are in the process of building a simple javascript widget that would function as follows:

1) copy and paste a single piece of code into your page

2) Insert a tag in your page where you would like the product widget to display

3) Provide a keyword for the widget

We would likely have some advanced options you can configure beyond that. The ability to specify which brands or merchants are displayed in the widget, the number of products to display, and which product details to even display (price, brand, description, etc).

Is this along the lines of what the majority are after? We already had this slated for development, but we may bump it in priority given the news today

I responded to your PM before I saw this post. Along with those "samples" I could have listed how I set up those displays. However, your...
    We would likely have some advanced options you can configure beyond that. The ability to specify which brands or merchants are displayed in the widget, the number of products to display, and which product details to even display (price, brand, description, etc).
    ...seem to sum it up quite well.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

3. Thanks From:

Perfect, thank you Bill

ABW Ambassador
    This is what I use, and it works great - PopShops.com :: Create affiliate storefronts with coupons and product comparison

Not sure if you've used it, but if not, I would get that free trial and get all up in it, get a feel for it.

What I like:
    Nice interface
    2300+ merchants
    The ability to rewrite descriptions, titles etc.
    I use PHP, need that spider food

Basically, like everything about it.

The only thing I've wanted over all these years is full Amazon integration. That was promised but never delivered. Just the Books section of Amazon.
    Last edited by Trust; August 12th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Ah, yes, Trust added some good points. That PHP is a nice integration for spider food. I use that when I modify descriptions and titles and/or where I select a really focused assortment of products.

The also have a link redirection feature that allows you to "change the URLs of your links (PHP only) to point to your own domain."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

8. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    What I like:
    Nice interface
    2300+ merchants
    The ability to rewrite descriptions, titles etc.
    I use PHP, need that spider food
    Plus:

Powerful unlimited shops
    Great customer support

I use PHP as well, it is a must

I also like popshops fix monthly fee structure. I'm not a big fan of revenue share model. If I understand it right, Prosperent is using the revenue sharing model. I like things to be simple. You provide tool/service, I paid for it.

10. Thanks From:

Interesting. It's basically a drop in store builder. We could do the same and pull the data from our api. Keep the suggestions coming guys. We will take a look at what they provide and see how we can make things better.

12. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    What Mayfly said about fee structure. I don't like the Revenue Share model either. I like to know I'm getting paid on all sales coming from my site.

"It's basically a drop in store builder"

Yep, that's what I mainly use it for. Make a page on something, Blue Widgets. Type in blue widgets in the search box. Then can pick and choose the blue widgets I want from the merchants I want. Customize the page, the look, the description etc, take the php, put it on my site.

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    Plus:

Powerful unlimited shops
    Great customer support

I use PHP as well, it is a must

I also like popshops fix monthly fee structure. I'm not a big fan of revenue share model. If I understand it right, Prosperent is using the revenue sharing model. I like things to be simple. You provide tool/service, I paid for it.
    Our rev share model would stay in place, and all of our tools are always unlimited. Hopefully we surpass your expectations in customer service as you come to know and work with us.

The reason we stick to a rev share model is simple. It makes us more accountable. If our tools don't work well, we don't make any money. It's easy to put out tools that affiliates will use, but putting out effective tools that continue to drive revenue is difficult. It keeps us hungry and focused on making sure our tools are always cutting edge. As you grow in traffic and revenue, our cut shrinks. It's our way of saying thank you for being a loyal user.

Hey, Brian - what they have is actually quite good. As Trust says, you really should get a log-in and go explore for a bit.

I, too, like a known subscription fee (for which I just recently renewed our annual payment). However, when it comes down to dollars and cents (with some exceptions where I have some sweet private offers) I would stand to earn more with most merchants through your system because of your higher commission structure(s).

17. Thanks From:

That's the main take away. With popshops, you have to rely on your own traffic volume to negotiate higher commissions. With us, we already push 8 billion impressions through our system a month. Most of our merchants give us higher than baseline rates, so even with our cut you earn more than you would going direct.

On top of that, we remain active with merchants even when they cut off their programs to other affiliates. We still have active relationships with piperlime for example.

Our home page gives a great example. If you work with Nordstrom directly, you get a 2% commission rate and a 12 hour cookie. We get a 12 hour cookie and 10-25% commission rate. No matter how you slice it, all but the largest affiliates will earn more money from their Nordstrom traffic if they go through us... Even after our cut.

We also get you into merchants that you may not have the traffic to get into by yourself.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    Our rev share model would stay in place
    Then I(maybe others too) will very hesitate to use your tool

Hopefully we surpass your expectations in customer service as you come to know and work with us.
    I'm sure you are providing great customer support already

The reason we stick to a rev share model is simple. It makes us more accountable.
    The accountable part applies the same to the fix monthly fee. I don't see why not.

As you grow in traffic and revenue, our cut shrinks. It's our way of saying thank you for being a loyal user.
    The term is too vague. I like things to be crystal clear in front.

The term is too vague. I like things to be crystal clear in front.
    Not a problem, we state our numbers on our home page. We have a default revenue split of 70/30. 70% to you, 30 to us. That number changes to 80/20 if you earn $6,000 or more with us per month (we have 24 affiliates in that group right now).

We also have a referral program. Send us an affiliate and you earn 5% of their commissions for life. That's 5% of their total commissions, not 5% of our cut.

On top of that, like I said earlier, you can actually earn more with us because of our increased commission rates and longer cookie duration.

Then I(maybe others too) will very hesitate to use your tool
    I think the other thing to remember is we manage the merchant relationships. When you sign up with Prosperent, you instantly gain access to all of our merchants and products. That frees up your valuable time to focus on building great content and earning a living, not worrying about changing program terms. We have over 9,000 affiliates using our services as of today with 10-20 new signups every day. We're streamlining our user experience, and always open to hearing about the issues that affiliates face on a daily basis. If we can do anything to help you earn more revenue while freeing up your time to focus on growing your traffic, we are all ears

ABW Ambassador
    That would probably be a deal breaker for me.

"we manage the merchant relationships."

I like to manage my own business relationships. I know my merchants, what I'm getting paid etc. Don't want a middle man in that.

While I can see some benefit in the way you do things, I still don't like the rev share model.

23. Thanks From:

No problem, it's always good to have options. Perhaps we will have a tool in the future that you would like to use as part of your affiliate marketing efforts. Don't use us to replace your current monetization methods, use us to augment them and make more from the traffic you already have.

In the coming months we will have several unique tools that can help affiliates squeeze extra revenue from their existing content. Think of us as icing on the cake in that case

ABW Ambassador
    I think the other thing to remember is we manage the merchant relationships. When you sign up with Prosperent, you instantly gain access to all of our merchants and products. That frees up your valuable time to focus on building great content and earning a living, not worrying about changing program terms. We have over 9,000 affiliates using our services as of today with 10-20 new signups every day. We're streamlining our user experience, and always open to hearing about the issues that affiliates face on a daily basis. If we can do anything to help you earn more revenue while freeing up your time to focus on growing your traffic, we are all ears
    The way you operate your business makes it look like you are running sub-affiliates under your account.

That's not what I want to be.

I like to manage my own merchant relationships as well. Once in a while I get merchants offer me higher commission rates, which is great. But I don't mind getting the standard % commission rate.

Not saying your tool is not good, just not that attractive to me.
    Last edited by mayfly; August 12th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

26. Thanks From:

Not a problem, as I discussed with Trust, you may check out some of our offerings to augment your earnings. Our primary focus is monetizing content that isn't currently being monetized by traditional forms of affiliate marketing. There are plenty of data providers out there. We want to help you monetize that data in a more effective way

28. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Ah, yes, Trust added some good points. That PHP is a nice integration for spider food. I use that when I modify descriptions and titles and/or where I select a really focused assortment of products.

The also have a link redirection feature that allows you to "change the URLs of your links (PHP only) to point to your own domain."
    Popshops also supports ASP.net & ASP Classic as well
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

30. Thanks From:

Thanks for the heads up KSE. I think we have a few options here. To start, I think we will likely build a widget that you can place on any site. From there we can work on something more robust like a store builder. Our wordpress plugin suite is already heading that direction, but having something that spits out php, or another language just opens up more doors for you guys.

32. Newsletter Signup