...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    One way to piss off your affiliates
    Subject: Notice of Impending Termination - GourmetMonthlyClubs.com

My name is Joanna Culbertson and I'm a member of the Gourmet Monthly Clubs Affiliate Team.

During a recent review of activity in our CJ affiliate program we noticed that although you have generated clicks for our site, you have not generated any sales during the time that you have been active in our program. We are currently in the process of reviewing and removing non-performing affiliates.

Please contact me directly at affiliates@gourmetmonthlyclubs.com no later than August 26, 2013 if you would like to remain in our program.

If you choose to remain in our program and have contacted us to confirm your intentions, please make sure that you are using the most recent creative and include our links in multiple categories - Gifts, Food, Gourmet, Food & Wine, Specials, Coupons are the best converting categories:

As a refresher here are the quick and easy steps to find these links:
    1. Log into your Commission Junction Account: www.cj.com
    2. Click on LINKS.
    3. Select GourmetMonthlyClubs.com C&H Clubs, Inc. (2397857) under the "Advertiser" list
    4. Choose creative from our inventory of eye catching banners and compelling text links.

Program Benefits
    * Affiliates earn up to $12 commission on every order.
    * $10 First Order Bonus
    * 90 return days
    * Compelling creative that converts clicks to sales
    * Receive a $20 bonus to your monthly commission when you reach 20 or more monthly transactions.

Best Regards,
    Joanna
    My response and cc: to email addy shown on CJ

Joanna,

Made an executive decision based on your sh*tty email subject. We've decided to end our relationship with you. You have a lot to learn about motivating affiliates and building relationships.

Hint to future affiliates you will insult, but are too stupid to quit your program - try reaching out to them and ask what's up or what YOU can do to get your program front and center on their web properties.

Two-way street sister and you're going the wrong way...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

What time did you receive the email.. and send your response?

My version is much nicer, but same underlying message... and the subject is "Get Active with GourmetMonthlyClubs Now"

1 hr 30 minutes apart.

Sent the response moments before I posted it here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    What time did you receive the email.. and send your response?

My version is much nicer, but same underlying message... and the subject is "Get Active with GourmetMonthlyClubs Now"
    Subbed. Very curious if yours is more than 1.5 hours after Convergence got his initial email.

Nice response Convergence.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

rookies
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

6. Thanks From:

My email looks like the 2nd line in your screenshot (sent at 1:25pm).

I just checked my CJ settings, and didn't have all types of email enabled in the interface, which could be the reason I didn't receive the second, more offensive, version.

Will probably quit the program anyway, my gourmet site is not a priority for the next few months, and it's time to eliminate negative merchants from my life.

8. Thanks From:

I've been curious for some time about why the "get active or get out" thing happens. There must be a conflict of interest between what the merchant needs and what the AM wants.

A merchant needs to have as many pages on the Internet displaying his brand as are possible to increase the likelyhood that the next Google algo tweak will result in more and more exposure. They need to be playing the law of averages so to speak. Merchants should be in it for the long haul.

Some AM's appear to place their own interests ahead of the merchants and this appears to be what Joanna is doing. Is it because some AM's have a background in brick and mortar direct sales and don't realize how Internet marketing works?

it's time to eliminate negative merchants from my life.
    For sure!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I thought I'd hear something about catching more flies with honey than vinegar ? I'd always rather motivate and inspire activity from inactive affiliates and offer access to tools and training vs. taking the " You need to do something or we're firing you" approach... hate to hear this.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

13. Thanks From:

It has to do with stupid metrics. They want to say that before they were managing the program, 7% of the affiliates were active with clicks. Now there are 67% active affiliates. Look what a great job I did.

They also think its a great motivator.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

I have metrics, too.

One of them is the merchant needs to send out more than 7 emails over two years. Not one of those was a reaching out email...

Get active? That's the pot calling the kettle black...

Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I've been curious for some time about why the "get active or get out" thing happens. There must be a conflict of interest between what the merchant needs and what the AM wants.
    Agree with Greg and not just active affiliates but also EPC. CJ has been pushing merchants to increase their program EPC for over a year now. There are two ways to increase it:
    High site conversion on the same traffic (clicks).
    Reduce clicks from affiliates not converting sales so those that are converting look like their doing more.

Have been on a four month tear with a merchant and the programs I manage to get conversion increased. We have doubled and guess what, EPC doubled with similiar traffic as this time last year. Now we are set to pound traffic to the merchant via affiliate and watch this puppy go to orbit.

18. Thanks From:

Such email is like a template used by many merchants.
    One of the merchant's tools from the affiliate network ?

Here's another way to piss off your affiliates...
    We are pleased to announce that although the Clothesbuy, ProductExpress and Outletbuy brands have been retired,
    Course they stopped updating their feeds 7/22 & 7/23 - without warning.

50K links - GONE...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Agree with Greg and not just active affiliates but also EPC. CJ has been pushing merchants to increase their program EPC for over a year now. There are two ways to increase it:
    High site conversion on the same traffic (clicks).
    Reduce clicks from affiliates not converting sales so those that are converting look like their doing more.
    Well third way is to increase affiliate commission

ABW Ambassador
    haha, nice reply converge...

As I wrote in a similar thread awhile back:

On the contrast, here is an email I got a couple of days ago from another CJ merchant. A merchant I have never made a sale with as far as I know. I spent several hours today working on some promotions for them, tell me which email motivates you more to promote them? I won't name them as they have a privacy thing at the end of the email that it's for me only:

Dear (me),

(Merchant) Help Leads Tracking!

We want to inform you that as of May 20th, (Merchant product) leads are tracking properly.

In the spirit of our partnership we would like to offer you compensation on the (Merchant offer) conversion at a payout of $10 per conversion. You have been compensated the amount of $130 and it will appear as a Bonus which can be viewed in the Account Manager.
    As of May 20th we are compensating on the lead with a payout of $4 per lead.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or concerns, thanks.

Best,

(Merchant) Affiliate Team
    That was way back in June. Since then and after I spent several hours promoting them (and by the way I had not made any commissions prior to them sending me the bonus) they are now one of my top performing advertisers based on volume.

Many AM's just don't get it, they think threatening affiliates is going to motivate them, they are so wrong. I would guess the only affiliates that they might get to work harder for them are noobs who have made very little sales if any and the merchant is a well known brand name.

This post is evidence that if AM's want to motivate affiliates then offer them a carrot not a shovel.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

23. Thanks From:

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread