Thread: I want to hear affiliates SCREAM

Angry I want to hear affiliates SCREAM
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and you shouldn't be taking it anymore. Affiliate marketers need to stand up and push back to merchants that treat them like garbage.

I'm tired of listening to a few voices complain over and over again without results. Big brands, big networks and big consultants are walking all over you.

Are your tech support questions being answered?
    Are you getting a higher commission for your efforts?
    Are you happy with conversions?
    Is the datafeed what you want it to be?
    Is the merchant working with toolbars/software that are skimming your sales?

Less than 1% of affiliates reply or ask questions. Is that because customer service in the affiliate marketing industry sucks that bad? They just gave up!

No one wants to read long rants or opinion pieces that are politically correct. You can't argue effectively in social media. What this industry needs is a thousand screaming voices demanding attention. It's days like this when I miss Haiko and the old ABW. Grab the pitchforks and charge!
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Are you happy with conversions?
    I get e-mails that I am sending traffic but not making sells........Isn't that the merchants job?

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Is the datafeed what you want it to be?
    I ask why the merchants data feed only includes 2 of its cheaper product categories when they have lots of beautiful and more expensive products. The AM answers "interesting"

These are not Gorilla managed programs....Just wanted to make that clear
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I'll be honest, I cannot control the actions of my merchants. One complaint won't fix things with some of them. Some are very responsive and recognize the power of free advice from the sales force in the trenches. Others don't have time to worry.

What surprises me is that it's usually only one complaint. Why aren't there more? If an affiliate has noticed something not right, why haven't others? We need more Witzers and Convergences.

When it comes to conversions, it is the merchants job but if you suspect they have toolbars present in the program, your conversion should always be higher. On the other hand, if more voices complained about low conversions, maybe the merchants will start A/B testing to improve conversions.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    But, by the same token, when an AM/OPM reaches out to you, please respond. They are just trying to help you, in most cases. I get discouraged by affiliates that don't respond when I'm trying to help them convert better or want to do an exclusive with them, etc. Its a two way street and communication needs to be open on the side of both parties.

Our success and the success of our merchants depends on successful affiliates and its our job to help them become that way.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

When I have issues with merchants feeds or datafeeds in general I usually take it to the network level. We have reps there, and they make things happen. For things like commission rate increases, they typically contact us, but we do actively pursue the discussion with our larger merchants if they haven't reached out.

The funny thing is, when we do reach out to merchants, networks, etc, they are typically pretty responsive (some networks more than others). I agree that more affiliates need to speak up. It seems that most are afraid of the networks and think that they will drop them without reason. I even remember feeling that way back when I was a n individual marketer myself.

Most of the time when a affiliate reaches out to a network they get a canned response.
    The exception seems to be AvantLink, I don't ever recall getting a canned response from any of their support people.
    Then you have networks that are very good at side stepping the issues, or tell you to contact the merchant yourself. And in some of those cases the merchant/Am never responds...
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; August 13th, 2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

For us, Avantlink, affiliate window, link connector, and cj are all very responsive. Linkshare and pepperjam, not so much.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I count no less than a dozen joined programs I have been waiting at least a week to hear back from...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

9. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    wow Convergence.. If I didn't get approval or a follow up email asking questions within 2-3 days, I'd look for competitors... I've always been a fan of reviewing and approving apps as fast as possible - the affiliate is obviously motivated when they join, why not cash in. I've been guilty of approving apps on the weekends while I watch football or NASCAR If I can't approve without more info, I'll reach out as soon as I can as well.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    wow Convergence.. If I didn't get approval or a follow up email asking questions within 2-3 days, I'd look for competitors...
    And I do, trust me - this is far more common than their bosses think it is. Affiliates get ignored by more merchants than we get responses from...

If you post up some of the issues, I will contact them as well (if it is something that impacts multiple affiliates at least). It's harder to ignore an issue if multiple people are complaining about it. (in theory at least)

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    If you post up some of the issues, I will contact them as well (if it is something that impacts multiple affiliates at least). It's harder to ignore an issue if multiple people are complaining about it. (in theory at least)
    Once I've been scorned, I'd rather see their programs crash and burn...

Haha, I get it. I am the same way.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Once I've been scorned, I'd rather see their programs crash and burn...
    I adhere to this plan also.......Usually, there are alternative choices of merchants with needed products. Sometimes second choice wins.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

16. Thanks From:

An AM/OPM has to be a Jack of all Trades. So sick and tired of AMs/OPMs not knowing a damn thing about datafeeds, computers, or even how a website and the internet even works. Merchants need to educate their sales force and tech teams that a change here and there has consequences elsewhere - ususally the affiliate channel.

Finish Line et al, are quickly proving my point...

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...es-168319.html
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; August 13th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

I am an equal opportunity offender by the way. I've fired merchants just like I fire bad affiliates. It's either lack of communication or a one way conversation that pushes my buttons. If you are reasonable, I'm reasonable. If not, Wade Tonkin and Amy Ely have to calm me down.
    Greg Hoffman

I count no less than a dozen joined programs I have been waiting at least a week to hear back from...
    I can count 2 dozen joined programs have been writing them for a month yet, no response. I think they don't use that email , probably used to spam affiliates only

I feel guilty when I don't check applications on Sunday. My apps are approved within minutes/hours in every network.
    Greg Hoffman

Hi akagorilla,
    Does that link in your sig "Join My Programs" show all the programs you have?
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    Hi akagorilla,
    Does that link in your sig "Join My Programs" show all the programs you have?
    Yes.
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I'm happy when affiliates contact me about one of my programs on Affiliate Window. Their feedback enables us to keep improving both the programs and our network (special thanks to Convergence for one recent change we made because of his query, one that improves things for everyone!).

I know we can't fulfill every request, but I can always at least get people to consider it and see if it's possible and something that would help many affiliates/merchants. I know I can't always get back to every affiliate as quickly as I'd like, but I do try to respond to everyone.

And hey Wade, I've approved affiliates and answered emails while watching football and hockey games (much to my husband's dismay sometimes), but that's half the fun our our industry!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Just to clarify my comment -

These are programs I already belong to (not programs I'm waiting on approval).

Waiting on approval by lazy ass AMs/OPMs/Merchants is an entirely different b!tch of mine - those numbers are staggering...

25. Newsletter Signup