Merchant
    Affiliates Manager
    Hi,

I have been speaking to a number of networks and they all offer some sort of managed programs. They also claim that their managers can launch programs on other networks as well. Can anyone share the pros/cons of using a manager vs an outsourced manager?

Thanks,

Bill

Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Merchant
    Thanks for the reply. Can we speak sometime?

Would you rather pay someone who is working for someone else (network's manager) or would you prefer to hire someone who works for you (OPM)?

If your program fits well with what he does, Greg could be an excellent choice of OPM. But he will tell you that once you have an initial conversation.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

5. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Greg is great at what he does, and there are many great OPMs available, if that's your preferred direction. Just make sure to do your homework first and ask lots of questions -

1. Have they managed any other programs in your vertical? How did those grow?
    2. What networks do they work with? Only one? More than one? Why did they choose that/those networks?
    3. How many other clients will your rep be working with?
    4. How many clients have they added/lost in the past 12 months?
    5. How long do their programs normally continue working with them? (long-term relationships vs. revolving door).
    6. Compare fees vs. value. Cheapest isn't necessarily the worst, but most expensive may not always be worth it either. What will you get for your money?

As a network rep, it would be inappropriate for me to comment about working with networks, but we work with many wonderful OPMs and greatly value the contribution they make to their clients and the industry. Unfortunately there are also a few stinkers out there, so that's why it's important to ask lots of questions. This is a big, financially critical decision, so take lots of time to do your homework.

You didn't mention whether this was a retail, lead gen, or some other type of program. That's a huge factor as well in determining who to work with.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

7. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    Greg is great at what he does, and there are many great OPMs available, if that's your preferred direction.
    Jeannine is being polite - there are NOT many great OPMs available. They're available, just very few "great" ones...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

9. Thanks From:

But Greg is picky.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

11. Thanks From:

Merchant
    I am sure Greg is a rock star. Still waiting for his reply. Perhaps he is not interested.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    There's also a great sub-forum of OPMs here on ABW. That can be a great resource as well.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    billtlee, start dialing OPMs and networks.

Billtlee,

I'd recommend following Jeannine's advice. If you'd like to discuss your product/service, I'd be happy to share some of the pro's and con's of the various affiliate management options available to you. I'm a big fan of leveraging the networks as the good ones certainly do add value, but in almost all situations you'll still want your program directly managed by either an OPM or in-house.
    -Nicholas.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Hey Nicholas, good to see you posting.

Hello to Dana!
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread