Do you remove inactive affiliates?
    I see that oftentimes merchants will remove inactive affiliates from their program. They'll usually do that with an email notifying them of the removal.

We have over 1300 affiliates, and most are inactive.

So the question is, is it a good move to remove inactive ones?

If so, what is the benefit?

thanks
    [COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1][url="http://www.pianowizardacademy.com"]Piano learning software[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://bit.ly/PWAiPad"]Back Piano Wizard iPad App on KickStarter[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://www.musicwizardaffiliates.com"]Piano Wizard Affiliate Program[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Take a look at this recent thread to see some reactions...
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/commi...es-168301.html

And I give credit to Rhia7 for recently referring to THIS classic post, which still holds up after many years:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/merch...tes-85372.html

The above will help you see it from the affiliate perspective..

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Segment them and customize your emails to offer an activation bonus. When you get bouncebacks remove them as they have moved on and you can't contact them. Recommend sending an email every two weeks to get those active, when they start sending traffic move them to another group then work on those to help them target their audience.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks. I have seen those posts. My question is "what is the benefit" of removing inactive affiliates? Why would they want to do that?
    [COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1][url="http://www.pianowizardacademy.com"]Piano learning software[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://bit.ly/PWAiPad"]Back Piano Wizard iPad App on KickStarter[/url] [COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR] [url="http://www.musicwizardaffiliates.com"]Piano Wizard Affiliate Program[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I don't know any benefit of removing them if their emails don't bounce. Guess it could make your active percentage of affiliates look higher.

7. Thanks From:

So you read everything that has been written, and you still want to know if there any benefit..? The benefit would be entirely self-serving.. it's not a better-managed, better-performing program, it's skewed statistics.

One of those affiliates you drop could actually turn out to be a real performer. And speaking personally, I have never re-joined a program that dropped my site - for any reason..

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit View Post
    Thanks. I have seen those posts. My question is "what is the benefit" of removing inactive affiliates? Why would they want to do that?
    There isn't any
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

11. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager
    i only remove those whose emails bounce after 3 attempts over a 1 year period
    Last edited by Richard - AMWSO; August 21st, 2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

13. Thanks From:

Definitely think in that case Richard you have every right to remove them.

I'm really curious if there is a merchant here that can provide a profile of an "inactive affiliate". I might not be selling YOUR products today, however I am certainly active enough with other merchants to make my living at affiliate marketing.

I like to think of myself as intelligent and independent. You may or may not agree but it would be insanely inexcusable to consider me ineffective, inefficient or "inactive". I may be intolerable at times (as this post would attest to) but hardly "inactive".

Perhaps some of us are more "uns" than "ins". Its possible that we may be unimpressed, uninspired and underwhelmed by your site, commission, products or management style. It would be insane to ignore this possibility and quite possibly may lead you to the inescapable realization that it may be your program itself that is the cause for the "inactivity". If you truly would like to inflate your numbers it may be in your best interest to look inside and make an investment in increasing affiliate participation by inspiring; not inciting.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

An inactive affiliate is one that is joined to a program but not sending any impressions or clicks. That's it!

Rematt you give excellent reasons why an affiliate may be inactive. A similar analogy to removing inactive affiliates would be removing opt-ins from a newsletter database because they don't open the email. Could be they receive it due to spam filtering, they receive it and set in a side folder to read later or see it but delete as they get to many newsletters. Would you remove all who signed up if they didn't read your newsletter after the first one, 2nd, 5th?

17. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager
    to me an inactive affiliate is someone that NEVER placed your link on their site.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    So you read everything that has been written, and you still want to know if there any benefit..? The benefit would be entirely self-serving.. it's not a better-managed, better-performing program, it's skewed statistics.

One of those affiliates you drop could actually turn out to be a real performer. And speaking personally, I have never re-joined a program that dropped my site - for any reason..
    I think you misunderstood the spirit of my question. Personally I don't remove inactive affiliates...whether they have not added any link, or have and don't send traffic. I'm aware that at any time, someone can rise from the depths and become a valued affiliates.

I agree there really is no benefit to removing them. I just don't know WHY some affiliate managers do so...so THEY must believe there is a benefit to doing so, whether it's "self-serving" or other.

20. Thanks From:

Some have the mindset that a thousand inactive affiliates aren't worth the time. If they aren't active now, why should we work with them? Others have even smaller mindsets that they only want to work with the best. I had a merchant request I remove all affiliates but the top 15, even though they had more than 50 active with sales. We fired that guy an hour later.

They are worried that their brand will be associated with a low quality website. Others are measured by statistics of how many active affiliates there are in the program. If they start with a 10% active rate, then they cut everyone else they can go to a 99% active rate. Hey boss, can I get a bonus for that?

Small minds. I'd rather cut the super affiliates that take the easy sales than cut the inactives that have potential.

The other way to do it is to not approve the unwashed masses of affiliates into the program to begin with. Manual approval can weed out 80% of those that will never be active.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Great article on this topic by Geno Prussakov:

Example of Oxymoronic Approach to Affiliate Relationship Management

Geno has a blog about affiliate marketing. There are no affiliate ads on his blog.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

We have an issue with merchants that deactivate inactive affiliates. Given the nature of our business model, we apply to every merchant out there. We never know when an affiliate will come on board that promotes that niche specifically. By removing us for being "inactive" you are killing any future opportunity to earn money with us. Just the other day we had a merchant that we had literally done zero sales with jump into our top ten because of a single affiliate we brought on. Had they deactivated us.... Well, you get it.

24. Thanks From:

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread