OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sorry, affiliate marketing actually isnít a (big ugly) scam
    Tricia Meyer wrote an excellent counter piece in response to an article by an Australian IT millionaire who stuck his toe in the water of affiliate marketing and his foot in his mouth IMHO.

I wanted to address the misconceptions in Ruslan Kogan’s recent VentureBeat article, “The big ugly affiliate marketing scam,” as well as many made in the comments on that story. I want to speak out loudly and educate the masses about how great affiliate marketing really is and how it can be done in a way that is profitable for both the publishers and merchants. But an article like that would actually have to be a book or a whole series. So instead I’m just going to address some of the biggest misunderstandings, lies, and myths about affiliate marketing as I see them.
    Excellent comments on Tricia's article as well as the Kogan piece by many of us who make a living at affiliate marketing. Also some interesting comments by those on the dark side of affiliate marketing. Follow the money as you will see those threatened by AM who rather than promoting their piece of the online marketing pie feel they have to discredit affiliate marketing instead.

Affiliate Marketing went from an obscure marketing channel to now a mainstay of Internet Marketing with such brands as The North Face, Carhartt and even Neiman Marcus.

Read more at Sorry, affiliate marketing actually isn’t a (big ugly) scam | VentureBeat

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Good Read, far better than the original article. Enjoyed the comments, too.

It's unfortunate that one bad apple DOES ruin the whole bunch - or in Affiliate/Performance marketing MANY bad apples.

It's unfortunate that the bad apples are lumped into/part of our industry.

Bad apples will always throw ethics to the wind and push the envelope of what is legal.

But, doesn't mean ALL of Affiliate/Performance Marketing is a scam...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    Read the original. Looks like the guy, I think his name is Kogan, hired a marketing consultant who didn't manage his affiliate channel very well. And that one single bad experience with the affiliate channel was his basis for painting the entire industry with a broad brush. I don't have any problem with one single person's view about affiliate mktg. VentureBeat shdn't have published that article at all.

It's like saying the real estate market is full of scam after you buy/sell one house and get a raw deal.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks for sharing the article and more importantly for the positive feedback on it!
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Great counter piece and sick of all the negative and slanderous articles that are written about our vertical. We need all the positive responses we can get.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Nevermind - being ornery...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I stand corrected, libelous articles! Thanks for the grammar lesson.

Great article. It is a shame the people have one bad experience and label a whole industry in a negative light because of it.
    [URL="http://ppc-coach.com"][B]PPC-Coach.com[/B] :: Pay Per Click Affiliate Marketing Coaching Since 2007[/URL]

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Great article counter article.

Some interesting things said by both sides.

I do have to wonder about this though

I was shocked when I saw that in the first week, affiliates drove about $200,000 of sales to the Kogan website.
    okay, I consider my team to be pretty good at what they do, but if I found a manager who could drive $200k in the first week of being live....I'd have to clone them!

Am I alone here in thinking that number is a bit of an exaggeration to make the story sound far more impactful than it really is?
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

11. Thanks From:

Sounds to me like it may not have been setup properly and was firing the affiliate pixel on every order. Must have been some great commissions for a handful of affiliates. The article didn't mention the network either, don't know if it was CPA network or what.

13. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Yea I would have thought they would have mentioned the network , may have been in house considering that omission

In-house would be scarier since they would have had to recruit each affiliate.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread