Shooting the breeze
    So I like the forum, everything seems really cool and the people seem very informative judging by the posts and threads I have been reading.

So here is my conversation piece......

My friend is an I.T. guy at the college we work at, and he was amazed at my domain name. I was happy I got it, but he was literally freaking out in the sense that he couldn't believe it wasn't taken.

"comparethegoods"

I bought it and I really didn't think twice about it, but does that seem crazy unique or anything?

I thought it was fairly normal myself, but I have had a number of people contacting me trying to purchase it.......(am I getting a false sense of confidence)

The calls to purchase and people my friend has introduced me to are just blowing it up like I won the lottery or something.

I kinda felt that the website makes the domain. Without it the domain is nothing.........right?

BTW Im a noob to web & design so don't hurt me too bad...
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; August 19th, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

It's not bad. IMO I would sell it if the offer was right.

In the UK we have an insurance provider who advertises on TV and they are comparethemarket.com which is very similar.

The offers are garbage right now. Between $1k and $4k which doesn't interest me. I haven't made any money off of my affiliate account yet, but I have had 45k+ visitors this month and 3600 clicks. Hopefully it amounts to something. Who knows?

Either way, we'll see. I was more interested in seeing if that was some crazy domain or something. Guess not

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Means nothing in the US until you develop it into a site. If you are getting 45k monthly visitors and making no money then sell it and buy another domain.

So as a college student you can pass up $4k? What school are you attending, what's your major and who's paying your tuition?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Means nothing in the US until you develop it into a site. If you are getting 45k monthly visitors and making no money then sell it and buy another domain.

So as a college student you can pass up $4k? What school are you attending, what's your major and who's paying your tuition?
    I am finished with school, we both work at the college. He is an I.T. Tech, and I develop/design building automation systems for the school. I guess as of recently I am also in charge of data analysis for my department as well, but hopefully they hire someone for that (boring).

Anyway, $4K is decent money, but I am more along the lines of waiting. JSC Software? Called me from Houston, TX with the big offer. I google'd them and all I can come up with is this NASA research company which I assume can't be it.

We'll see what happens. I'm not rich, but I pay my bills if you know what I mean. I have a few Bing ads, one google ad, facebook page, facebook ads, and a daily blog just for the site. I'm going to try to stick with it.

6. Thanks From:

What school are you at?

U of Va

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    What school are you at?
    University of Virginia

10. Thanks From:

Well if you want the money, sell the thing. If not hang onto it and you can always sell it later if you wanted. I went to that domain and it's a camping or rv site?

ABW Ambassador
    I agree the name is catchy. And you have developed the site to some extent. How are you generating the traffic? 45K+ visitors and making no money! That doesn't sound right at all. You shd start seeing sales at well under 1k visitors if they were any good. Are you generating any clicks to amazon. What are the 45k+ visitors doing on your site if they aren't buying anything.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    I agree the name is catchy. And you have developed the site to some extent. How are you generating the traffic? 45K+ visitors and making no money! That doesn't sound right at all. You shd start seeing sales at well under 1k visitors if they were any good. Are you generating any clicks to amazon. What are the 45k+ visitors doing on your site if they aren't buying anything.
    I think you guys call them "bouncers?" they basically view my home page and bolt. Mostly due to my lack of design experience I'm sure, but I am plugging away at it. Maybe some revenue will slide my way at some point. I also don't have any "click" based ads either. Just sales based..

bouncers are visitors who find you for certain listings or keywords, come to your site and don't find what they are looking for. Work on writing content for the keywords you rank well for and serving that audience.

I like the domain name. Definitely work on it a bit more. But depending on the offers you are getting, you might want to sell it too !

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread