Attracting new customers to 'Like' Facebook business page
    I set up a facebook business page 9 months ago and have been posting regularly since. This facebook page is geared towards sports betting. Each week I post tips and news but the content is high quality and each week there would be about 4 posts. The likes are slow but consistent each week and the tips are very profitable and there are no conditions attached to the tips as they are freely available and no signups are necessary and there is a good quality website also with useful betting tools and a small number of affiliate links and a weekly email newsletter.

Compare this to other similar services who only have a poor facebook page with no website and post 10-15 times a day full of nonsense with pictures of women in bikinis or cats and their tips are terrible yet some of these pages have tens of thousands of likes.

I want to increase my Facebook 'Likes' and encourage comments on each of my posts but it appears that there is little interest in a tip from the Norwegian football league even though these tips may yield close to 20% ROI over the season.

I am not willing to dilute the quality of the posts with pictures of cats and have invested in Facebook advertising that linked directly to the facebook page but the clicks were extremely low for the number of views and the number of people that see each of my posts are possibly around 20% of the total number of likes due to Facebook's edgerank and combined with Facebooks T&C regarding competitions makes it difficult the turn a profit from running a competition. From what I have seen it appears that the majority of people don't looks at the ads on Facebook and are unlikely to click on the ad even if it catches their eye.

I'm looking for any tips on increasing the number of 'Likes' on this page if anybody is willing to share some good ideas.

Thanks.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    No tips. It may simply be a social stigma attached with gambling - folks may not want the world (friends, family, church, EMPLOYER) to know they are a gambler.

Patience is key here...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There was a lot of buzz around the Facebook ads last year at Pubcon which is part of Webmasterworld. Haven't seen a lot of conversation here by people who have figured it out. Also try to connect with Dennis Yu on FB, this is his expertise.

5. Thanks From:

Slow & steady wins the race, imo..

There has been recent publicity about the validity of Facebook likes (and Twitter followers, for that matter). Keep doing what you're doing, and stick to your principles.
    I am not willing to dilute the quality of the posts with pictures of cats
    +1.. unless those cats are placing sports bets!

But what Convergence said - sports betting is perceived very differently in the US compared to UK/Europe. Try posting more about sports in general (results, rumours, fun trivia, etc) & see what happens.

7. Thanks From:

The target market is the UK & Ireland and almost entirely males aged 18-30.

I do post interesting stories about the hot topic of the day that is mainly linked to the English Premier League but I'm wondering if I should increase these posts to about 8-10 a week or stick with the current 3. After all, its not a news site and the ultimate aim is to get people signed up to the mailing list but a lot of page likes and comments brings in new customers who are hesitant about signing up and people may share my posts with their friends and so on and so on therefore I really am wondering what the secret is to crack facebook or is the stigma of gambling too much to expect people to publicly like my page in large numbers?

There is also a medium term business idea I want to do that would have a much greater chance of success with a lot of page likes and interaction on the facebook page.

I totally agree with the above threads, you need to be patient. Don't believe the hype, what I mean is, a lot of people are buying or exchanging fake facebook likes, comments and shares. Some believe it's good coz it establishes you as a brand when you have more than a 1000 likes.

Which is not really true. Just be patient and build your business with quality leads.

It's really easy to build an audience using facebook ads manager. But the secret is that you have to build your own audience within facebook. Or else you're going to rely on the facebook targeting options which are not really that targeted. With people getting forced to join groups and buying fake likes using the facebook targeting options will just waist your money.

Facebook ads are very powerful when you build your own highly targeted audience. They don't have to be on your profile or like your page. I have a blog post that explains this in detail but I want to ask permission 1st from the moderators if I can post the link here. No response means I shouldn't post.

I'm just avoiding to create duplicate content. But you can use facebook ads to build your likes and build an email list, same time with one ad, only if you know what you're doing.

Here are a few tips you can use to increase likes on FB:

- add facebook like box to your website or blog
    - run a contest or competition
    - create custom tabs on your fan page (with special offer and freebies)
    - link to your facebook page with your other social network accounts

I hope you find that helpful. And pray that the moderators allow me to share the blog post I know it will save a lot of people money.

10. Thanks From:

I would be very interested to read the blog post Nytshade but I am not able to send you a PM.

but I am not able to send you a PM
    No, you're not.. you need to read Forum rules http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...es-146455.html

You can't really expect to engage in private conversations after all of 3 posts. You have been given some good advice here, maybe you should be thinking of joining our community instead of just taking from it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you were given free advice very quickly.

Thats a bit harsh considering my first post was 2 days ago.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Thats a bit harsh considering my first post was 2 days ago.
    Anyone can have a bad day.

Being a mod on a forum that attracts one post wonders and spammers is a tireless and thankless job.

You'll be alright...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yep, today is a typical day. Moderators removed a dozen posts that were SPAM and got past the filters. Can't tell you how many the filters caught. I responded to several Contact Us posts wanting access that we then researched and found out to be forum spammers.

We understand that most new members don't read the rules first so we instead give a warning. No harm, no foul.

16. Thanks From:

I have been experimenting with posting at different times to find the optimal time of the day to get the most engagement.

My target market is male 18-30 and the best time appears to be 8pm to 9pm

What time and frequency of posts do you find works best?

OK, maybe my comment came across a bit cranky (and I'm usually the nice one.. so I like to think!).

My knee-jerk reaction was to the request to take a discussion offline - if Nytshade has good info to share, by all means I'm sure we would all like to hear it. But if he/she chooses to keep it on the original site, that's fine too. Many of us dispense (honest) advice drawn from years in this business - we may not give away the farm, but we also don't say we have saved better info elsewhere.

I didn't mean to make you feel unwelcome..

Back to your topic - not specific to Facebook, but I save my best stuff for lunchtime.... my niche is different to yours, but I get a good boost midday, from people at work.

19. Thanks From:

You really need to invest into promoting the page either via facebook ads or through other methods of promotion.

If your initial success was low with FB advertising then don't just get put off initially. Fine tune your campaigns and split test, different images achieve vastly different results.

my tests with Facebook, giveaways is the best way to get people to like your page, but you gotta be willing to offer a good prizes

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I have to ask, what point are likes, if there is no ongoing engagement with those people who "like" the page. It would seem to me to serve no great purpose towards the real end goal if you have 20,000 likes and no one ever actually engages you in discussion or posts their own questions on your page? I would have thought that having engaging content would itself lead to having more likes, but at the same time be far more relevant in building your (or any) business on FB?

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

23. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by OneGoodMan View Post
    my tests with Facebook, giveaways is the best way to get people to like your page, but you gotta be willing to offer a good prizes
    Looking at facebooks T&C competition entries can't be dependent on them liking the page and you can't notify winners on facebook.

I'm not going to spend a couple of years trying to crack facebook only to have the page banned for breaching the T&C.

How do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO View Post
    I have to ask, what point are likes, if there is no ongoing engagement with those people who "like" the page. It would seem to me to serve no great purpose towards the real end goal if you have 20,000 likes and no one ever actually engages you in discussion or posts their own questions on your page? I would have thought that having engaging content would itself lead to having more likes, but at the same time be far more relevant in building your (or any) business on FB?

Cheers

Chris
    True however the more likes you get the more people see your posts and therefore there is more engagement which results in more likes.

I provide regular high quality content, its the initial stage on facebook of getting a good base of likes from users that will engage that I have been trying to crack for 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesLeeOnline View Post
    Interesting and humorous pictures with catchy subtitles gets a lot of attention in Facebook nowadays.
    This is true.. i have also the same problem. i noticed that people likes to watch pictures than reading a bunch of articles

My pennies…I agree with convergence, about the social stigma of being seen to gamble, bet and so on, also about being patient.

So you have “friends” FB works, you are providing quality articles and you want more. In affiliate management our job is to engage with our existing affiliates and actively engage with potential affiliates, would this not be the same for FB. When I say engage with potential affiliates, I don’t mean send a spammy email, I mean taking a genuine interest in their site and in them as people.

Also what may I ask is your objective is?
    Once you have added a friend, what do you want them to do? Just follow you?

Have you tried setting up a Facebook ad to attract fans of your competitor's Facebook page to "like" your page?

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanli View Post
    Have you tried setting up a Facebook ad to attract fans of your competitor's Facebook page to "like" your page?

Isn't obsessing over your competitor's FB page a waste of time?
    You'd be better off finding an original spin/angle for your own FB page & site.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    it appears that there is little interest in a tip from the Norwegian football league
    I think that THIS may the reason you're not getting many likes on FB. You may have more luck if your tips include the English Premier League, Bundesliga, Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A, etc...
    Michael Abramsky :usaflag:
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net"]CreditFirm.Net[/URL]
    Email: [email]Affiliate@CreditFirm.net[/email] | Phone: 800-750-1416 x 901 | [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net/affiliates"]Affiliate Program Info[/URL]

My likes increased when I joined several facebook groups
    and show up regularly to contribute to the group. By
    curiosity, people will want to know a bit more about you
    and visit your page.

On another forum, someone created a thread where
    everybody can post a link to their fb page so people can like
    it, and receive a like in return.

quality content with attractive pictures and links you can attract traffic and get the like. for this you have to post regular links and images to make your facebook page live.

33. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread