The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    an open email
    Not hard to find who I am referring to, but I'll try and remove all references. This is what I said to a merchant that moved from GAN to LS and put me into their program automatically. I am not sure what the original commission rate was, but I emailed them about their lack of datafeed and the commission rate come up (0.5%) and I got onto a 'rant' of how I feel. Note I do sometimes include merchants who don't have affiliate programs into my site because their are a 'major' brand and I like my site to be complete with all the brands that a user finds at a mall if possible:

Thank you for your reply :-) I don't know why making datafeeds take so long, but you guys certainly aren't the only major vendor to have this problem. Keep me informed because until you have it up, due to the nature of my sites (my sites withheld, etc.) I can't promote you effectively.

regarding the commission rate, I don't remember if it was that low before. Once again, I'll probably promote you regardless since my site is designed (in my opinion) for my visitors not to maximize my profits and I want to incorporate as many brands as possible to provide choice for them) But in regard to other affiliates, you should know that in yours (their sister company) space (on LS only):
    New York & Co offers 5%
    Manhattanite offers 7%
    Dillards offers 4%
    Karmaloop offers 6%
    Alloy offers 4%
    macy's offers 3%
    Walmart 4%
    Nordstrom 2% (but they have new private offers all the time right now there are over 20 offers from dresses to jeans to shoes at over 15%)
    JCP offers 1.5%
    Delia at 4%

So you are a third of the worst offer from a 'mall store' like (merchant name).

But I was thinking about this, if I include a store that doesn't have an affiliate program to be complete and I sell $10,000 with of stuff for them I'll earn $0, but if I sell $10,000 worth of you stuff that is only $50. That is really not much of a difference but of course, I wasn't expecting anything from the other . You are hardly worth the effort. I should be thinking, hmmm what can I do to get people to stop buying from you and start buying from delia.

Wait hottopic is also a direct competitor, let me see their commission. Let me look at the commissions of these stores
    2BStores 5%
    bebe 5%
    Dr. Jays 6%
    Hottopic 5%

You know sometimes, there are merchants with commissions like yours and every time I have a commisison with them, it reminds me I'm losing money by not selling a competitors product. For these merchants 4% or 5% same difference but 4% and 0.5% is 8 times. How do you expect to run a successful affiliate program when your commission rate is one eighth of your average competitor? I'm not a successful affiliate in this space, but I am trying,. but for the successful affiliates why would any of them waste their time with you, you have to increase you 'special' rate by 8 times just to be average and I am assuming successful affiliates have special deals and are getting much more than the average. Is (this merchant) really a bigger brand than those listed above such that an affiliate needs to lose a huge percentage of commissions 87.5% per sale to promote you? I'm sorry I'm rambling.

I'll include you when you get a datafeed to be complete, but I tell you the truth, I'll feel better when I don't make any sales with you, because any sale of your stuff, is an opportunity lost to sell something else for 8 times the commission.
    I swear I feel worse than I see a sale from a merchant with this type of commission rate than when I get a commission. Every time I see a commission I think what can I do to stop this. It's the truth I would rather make no money than a low commission. I suppose it is emotionally better for me to have a short cookie rate and see no sales than a small commission rate and see sales. It's like every commission is laughing at me.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I commented on this/these merchant/s in another thread...

If, I'm not mistaken:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...re-168405.html

Commission on GAN were:

10% and 5% respectfully...
    Last edited by Convergence; August 20th, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Sorry I missed your post, I was about to go to the ASE and was busy. As I said I don't remember what their commissions were on GAN. WS was a strange case for me since I signed up with them they dropped me and then reinstated me months later so I didn't go out of my way for them. They have one of the few sites that prevents me from scraping to make my own datafeed which is good since when I first started I thought it was 5% not 0.5 percent and I would have felt like a fool.

But I suppose my point is that I would rather promote a merchant at 0% and at 0.5 percent, which I am doing., There was a merchant on cj who cancelled their affiliate program which I still promote because I liked their stuff, but for these guys if I made a $5 commission it would drive me nuts I would think I sold $1000 worth of their crap and they didn't even give me enough money to to get a big mac and a coke. (The big mac is over priced but that is a different rant ;-)
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Good to know. I get it. It's about your work being valued.

Quote Originally Posted by robbinsinteractive View Post
    Good to know. I get it. It's about your work being valued.
    For us it's getting PAID for our efforts and our traffic.

If a merchant wants free traffic, they should submit their website to the search engines.

If a merchant wants to offer an insulting commission rate, they should do PPC and get out of the affiliate channel...

7. Thanks From:

Yes of course but what Oranges originally said is he would rather not get a commission at all than a low one. That is about value. There is no doubt it always has to make good business sense. I don't have any commissions under 15% so we are on the same team here

9. Thanks From:

I know you were replying to Oranges - just wanted to let any merchants know that not everyone believes that merchants should get free traffic...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Oranges have you ever added a comment to a brand page which is listed but you get no commission or an insultingly low commission. A comment like, we recommend Brand X? I worked with content review affiliates who listed all top brands of treadmills some of which didn't have affiliate programs. At the end of the review they added a sentence of, "for the best product in this price range we recommend Brand X". That way you have listed the big brand put funnel your visitor to something you get compensated for.

12. Thanks From:

0.5% must mean a higher ticket product?

That's is very insulting if it's not. I think merchants look at some affiliates as if we're just leeching off their brand. But the truth is if you have 50% of something it's better then 50% of nothing, (from a merchants point of view).

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    PPC-Coach been a lot of conversation in 2013 about this, try searching for "0%" and "0.5%" to see what has been said.

Quote Originally Posted by PPC-Coach View Post
    0.5% must mean a higher ticket product?
    Nope - fashion niche. Their competitors are averaging about 5% per sale. Which is what they were offering on GAN.

Quote Originally Posted by PPC-Coach View Post
    That's is very insulting if it's not. I think merchants look at some affiliates as if we're just leeching off their brand. But the truth is if you have 50% of something it's better then 50% of nothing, (from a merchants point of view).
    They're lazy shysters. Period. They're obviously going after automated coupon/deals sites that WILL capitalize off the brand and call it a day. Those sites aren't going to ask them for creatives, they don't have to have a complete datafeed, and they aren't going to be contacted by the affiliates for ANYTHING - They can simply put their program on auto-pilot.

Very obvious...

16. Thanks From:

Wow, I wouldn't even look at any low ticket item with that rate. I come from the CPA world though where commissions are a bit more realistic then that. You have every right to be upset with that.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread