...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Pure panic...
    With merchants over inbound links.

I think this snippet from an email conversation I was having with a merchant today, regarding inactive affiliates, is very telling - misinformation abounds...

We have literally thousands of affiliates who sign
    up, put up a few links and do nothing more. The penalties for us with Google
    in terms of link quality are huge and we are doing all we can to eliminate
    useless links and work with only quality partners.
    Three paragraph explanation sent to explain that you can not get penalized by an inbound affiliate through a network and your can't gain any benefits, either...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

2. Thanks From:

Everyone is so scared of Google these days that they don't stop to think before saying something.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There is definitely some science to affiliate marketing and SEO is becoming a science too.

I once got passed over as a director in manufacturing doing computer and industrial equipment installation, training and project management. The guy they put over me flunked out of college to become a hippie then 20 years later became a manager by reading manuals. He was better at politics than me so got the nod for a department when the VP over us left the company. I actually created the who department. He couldn't solve his way out of a wet paper bag. I left in 11 months as I got tired of the politics and pure bs he was spinning. He got fired a year later for incompetence.

Moral of the story is it takes more than a title to be an affiliate manager. Can tell you how many times I hear from a newbie AM that they just got the job but never worked with online marketing before let alone tried their hand as an affiliate. That goes for network reps who are passed as as affiliate managers.

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    Everyone is so scared of Google these days that they don't stop to think before saying something stupid.
    Fixed that for ya.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Baby steps - all about building relationships...

Thanks for this information, seems to make sense never thought of It that way. Iíll pass this on to our SEO department.

Thanks again,
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Thanks! That IS better

Here's another one...from an affiliate manager who doesn't understand how affiliate linking works.
    The following was a closing paragraph in a newsletter this received this evening.
    My only request is that you do not advertise on sites not ranked in Google. We do not want our link profile to suffer, so promoting on higher ranked web pages is appreciated.
    DUH!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

11. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Here's my favorite:
    You are being removed from our program for sending traffic and making sales. We explicitly forbid affiliates from using the Internet to market us. Only sales you bring to our brick and mortar stores qualify for commissions if you mail in the receipts. Also we have reversed your pay-per-call commissions because their caller ID was blocked.

13. Thanks From:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread