State tax law terminations -- Glitch in Process?
    I'm a resident of Missouri. I just started noticing today that, when I log into my Avantlink account, several merchants I'm accepted with are giving me a message I have to acknowledge, which tells me that I will no longer be earning commissions. This is because Missouri is one of those stupid states setting up nexus law problems for merchants.

My question is this: Why am I not automatically removed from the program and given a message explaining this?

As it works now, I have to write down each merchant, or make note of it at least, and go into "My Active Merchants" and remove myself from the program.

At least that's what I just did with 3 Avantlink merchants after I saw the notice when I logged in.

But it puzzles me what happens if I DO NOT remove myself from their program? Will any links I have on my websites still work, only not earn me commissions? Will the links simply return error messages until I can get them removed?

It ought to be a process the merchant takes care of -- or you ought to clarify the procedure I need to follow to avoid dead links (or, if they aren't dead, sending the merchant traffic/customers I'm not getting paid for).

Can you clarify how this is going to work out? If I suddenly get dropped by 30-40 merchants, its a pain in the behind for me to be required to terminate all the merchants. (I know, it's also going to be a nuisance to remove links, too.)

Sorry if I'm not stating this clearly, but could someone from Avantlink (Gary perhaps?) address this whole issue for those of us in the states listed in those login messages?

Thanks.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Gary, the notifications you are seeing are to let you know that you will no longer be paid a commission if the customer is also in Missouri.

Due to state sales tax nexus laws, Affiliates from the following list of states will not be paid a commission on sales referred to residents of the same state.: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island. If you need additional information please contact us.

This allows you to remain active with stores that would otherwise remove you altogether b/c of the new tax law in your state.

You would still earn commissions on sales to customers in any of the other states, just not on customers in your state.

Let me know if that helps clarify, GM

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink View Post
    Gary, the notifications you are seeing are to let you know that you will no longer be paid a commission if the customer is also in Missouri.

Due to state sales tax nexus laws, Affiliates from the following list of states will not be paid a commission on sales referred to residents of the same state.: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island. If you need additional information please contact us.

This allows you to remain active with stores that would otherwise remove you altogether b/c of the new tax law in your state.

You would still earn commissions on sales to customers in any of the other states, just not on customers in your state.

Let me know if that helps clarify, GM
    Thanks, Gary. That does clarify it. I was guilty, I guess, of sloppy reading when I saw the message(s) from those merchants -- too quickly checking the box and clicking through without more careful reading.

So at least I can get commissions from non-Missouri shoppers then, right?

Sounds like a decent compromise compared to the way several merchants and Amazon just gave me the boot!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    So at least I can get commissions from non-Missouri shoppers then, right?
    Yes, that's correct.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread