Organic Search or Google Adword (Pay Search)
    Which of the following do you think is more effective to attract customers:
    Organic Search or Google Adword (Pay Search)?

There are variables to take into consideration
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    There is no "or".

What most folks don't realize is that if you don't have the natural traffic, meaning if a site isn't "optimized" by the Google's standards (whatever the hell that is, anymore) - then the chances of operating a successful PPC campaign is less than slim.

Landing/traffic pages have to have high "quality scores" for both...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have read but can't quote the source that organic and paid complement each other. As Convergence said if you have both it helps your quality score which in turn helps your ad placement.

Organic is a long term endeavor and harder to control than paid. Its free other than the labor you put into it.

Thanks for all reply! I just read a reply from someone on the other forum that it has been discovered from some research that users give preference to organic search results as compared to paid search results.
    Actually, for me, I am more prefer to click the link of Organic search as I know the link at the top position are all pay adv. and I don't want to click it. So, I wonder do the other customers same as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Macy Man View Post
    Thanks for all reply! I just read a reply from someone on the other forum that it has been discovered from some research that users give preference to organic search results as compared to paid search results.
    Actually, for me, I am more prefer to click the link of Organic search as I know the link at the top position are all pay adv. and I don't want to click it. So, I wonder do the other customers same as me.
    99% of people who uses the internet are idiots and don't know a paid ad from non-paid.

If they did the Google's PPC ad earnings would be plummeting, not rising...

8. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Because a consumer doesn't know a thing about Internet marketing doesn't make them an idiot. People are lazy and use search engines as bookmarks, they also click on paid ads because they are better written than the organic listings. I am amazed when I look up a company that has been online for a number of years and their organic description is Hello and welcome... Those are idiots to me.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Because a consumer doesn't know a thing about Internet marketing doesn't make them an idiot.
    No it doesn't - but they are still idiots. Have you not looked around at people on the streets, in the grocery stores, driving I-15?

Idiots...

12. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    No it doesn't - but they are still idiots. Have you not looked around at people on the streets, in the grocery stores, driving I-15?

Idiots...
    Sounds like you are in need of a quality alcoholic beverage of choice break ... Wonder what other stupid things people have been up to lately to piss you off

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Kush@VMInnovations View Post
    Sounds like you are in need of a quality alcoholic beverage of choice break ...
    Soon as the Broncos vs Ravens game kicks off the Crown will floweth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kush@VMInnovations View Post
    Wonder what other stupid things people have been up to lately to piss you off
    Oh hell's bells - feel free to pick a topic and another tub of ...

If you want quick results, and the ability to better target your desired audience, go with an AdWords campaign. That way you can specify exactly what keywords will trigger your ad to be displayed, the geography of your audience, the device they use, etc.

On the other hand, getting good rankings in organic search results will take a lot longer and, the way Google keeps changing its algorithm, you can never be sure of the results anyhow. You might get good rankings for some search terms but not others. You might get good mentions in the social media but the day after an algorithm update, Google may make those contributions meaningless, and you get wiped off the first five search results pages. etc. etc.

At least if you are paying for something, you can say exactly what you want: whoever pays the Piper gets to call the tune.

I definitely think that SEO is a great long term solution, but if I were just getting into affiliate marketing, I would bypass AdWords altogether and look into alternative routes. Bing is starting to really take off in some areas, but there are many better opportunities in Media Buying these days. Just go small and count those small successes as something big. TEST and then test more.

18. Thanks From:

Hi BoostSoftware,

I haven't use Bing before! Could you tell me more about how Bing took off in some areas? And which one you think is the best buy online media in nowadays? Thanks!

So many variables, too much contradictory experience. SEO/organic search is the long-term holy grail. Biggest problem is the stranglehold Google has on so much of the web and the way they keep jerking search results around to shake out more money into their Adwords bins. The short term solution is Adwords and a properly built campaign will plan for at least six months to get any results out of SEO while using Adwords (and/or other PPC/affiliate programs) in that time period to jump start income (hopefully). But as was mentioned above, the Googlodytes will take apart your website and your landing pages to see how much more cash they can squeeze out of your stones using their vague "quality guidelines" as an easily-misunderstood-and-poorly-communicated nuclear hammer... In the end, the majority of us are subject to the whims of the Googlodytes as they go about tightening their stranglehold on the development of so much of the web by forcing everything through the finely-grinding-machine of their nebulous "quality guidelines." I see bits and pieces of upstart software out there but we really need a Google-killer to see any real difference in the future. A hidden danger in this is that Google has enough cash in hand to buy any potential Google-killers that appear.

21. Thanks From:

I won't choose from any of the two. For me, both should work hand in hand. But it also depends on the goal of the client, or myself. Let's say my client wants to get xxx no. of traffic in just a week, then I would suggest they do adwords. Many times I would do a combination of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I am amazed when I look up a company that has been online for a number of years and their organic description is Hello and welcome...
    Funny

Yes, I've seen many online businesses making such kind of mistakes. But in most cases, these business owners usually run offline businesses, and when someone suggest them to go online in order to expand their business, then they simply hire someone to just setup a website for their online shop. No optimization, nothing ! But this does not make them idiots. I believe they are just ignorant, unknowledgeable people.

These gullible business owners are often fooled by inexperienced SEO guys. We know, people learn from their experiences.

We all mistakes. Making a mistake does not make you an idiot.

I had a startling call from Bing yesterday. They say they are now up to 35% of all search traffic? wow - They are easier to work with. google is so big, they have always had the "my way or the highway" attitude. is anyone using social media to promote their sites?

25. Thanks From:

In some respects, the question that begins this thread is too simple. And the responses (including my own above) don't cover the territory at all. For instance, last fall Bing Image Search took hold of one of my sites and now brings in more traffic daily than all aspects of Google (regular search, image search, encrypted search) combined and averaged over the last five years. Bing regular search picked up with that, too, and at this point, traffic on the site has more than tripled from a year ago, even though everything Google is down by more than 20% over that time period. And as Bing picks up, so does Yahoo.

As for social media: Facebook, Twitter and G+ have proven useless to that site (incoming traffic too small to count) but Pinterest ranks just below Google regular search. And just below Pinterest is Wikipedia (but that's a whole other story that has more to do with strangers linking many of my pages to existing Wikipedia articles than with anything the normal webmaster can do along the lines of SEO - realize that Wikipedia is not a platform anyone can just get into and produce positive results with).

So when looking for methods to increase traffic you need to take into account all the various aspects of a website... and leave no stone unturned. I used to curse incoming traffic from Google Image Search (assuming they were just coming to steal images) but now seeing so high a percentage of traffic coming from image sites of one sort or another, income from the site has more than quadrupled while traffic has only tripled.

When it comes to pay-for-click/pay-for-show traffic, my experience says results are generally horrible outside the AdWords spectrum... and not all that good inside the spectrum.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    This is actually a very big and important question to ask. Understanding how each works is critical for success in online marketing. And the only way to learn is from trial and error with each approach.

Not trying to avoid the question but each has it's own pluses and minuses.

SEO traffic seems nice because it's free. But often the traffic is very un-targeted and doesn't always convert well. It's generic and you can't always be sure the traffic has the problem you can solve unless the keywords have a lot of buying intention. It's like a shotgun approach.

PPC traffic can be very targeted like a rifle, and if you know what you are doing, you can track and optimize your campaigns so you buy only keywords that convert well and justify the expense. But if you don't know what you are doing you can bleed money quickly without getting a good return on your investment.

The bottom line is traffic is expensive these days, whether you pay for it with money using PPC or you pay for it with time doing SEO. Pick your poison.

28. Thanks From:

29. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread