Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate program rejections
    Hi friends,

I've got my domain and host ready to go and working on getting my first site built, however, some of the top affiliates I need have turned down my application. I'm assuming it's because my site isn't live yet or can prove traffic but they won't tell me why it was rejected.

Anyone else have this issue and have a solution? With planning other affiliate site in the future I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same rejection issues with other affiliates...? Any insight you can give me?

Thanks!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Some programs auto decline applications based on network ranking, EPC or country so the affiliate manager will never see your application. If important you need to reach out to them directly and ask for a second review.

If after several attempts you get no response then move on as you don't want to work with the program.

Thanks Chuck. Yes, I did reach out to Commission Junction and ask for my application to be reviewed again and was turned down. I would just move on and forget that particular affiliate but my site (and future sites) will be review sites with top rankings and the problem I'm having is with the top 3 or so sites, so they're approval of my application is key to my sites' success. Kind of a catch 22. I'm planning on other review sites as well so not sure if this is going to be an on-going issue...sure hope not.

How to other affiliate marketers with review sites get up and running if they can't get approved by their key vendors?

To be honest, I wouldn't bother applying to programs until you have something to show on your site... a mission statement, some content, etc.. add non-affiliate stores just to get it going.

Also, I never take an initial rejection - always follow-up with a polite email, and provide details on what your site is (or will be) about, and why the merchant would be a good fit.

It works every time for me.. but again, you have to be professional, it is a business relationship after all.

Thanks teezon for your input. So to clarify what you're saying; add store links that I'm not affiliated with but are in the same genre of the site and then approach my desired affiliates?

Btw, I'm unable to contact the affiliates directly, I've had to go through Commission Junction for that...that's normal I take it?

Yes, I'm in sales now and always present myself in a very professional, amiable manner.

Why don't you approach Affiliate Managers and OPMs who are active on ABW about working with them on their programs? You have direct contact information and can direct them to this thread. Frankly I never understood why affiliates getting started shot gun with 100's of programs before they get enough traffic to interest a program manager when you have those promotion here happy to work directly with you.

7. Thanks From:

add store links that I'm not affiliated with but are in the same genre of the site and then approach my desired affiliates?
    Exactly. You shouldn't even approach a merchant until you have something to show them.. they will click on the URL, and see nothing.. you have 3 seconds to get their attention.

The right contact info should be in CJ interface, no need to look elsewhere.

And I wasn't suggesting you wouldn't be professional - you would just be amazed at the attitude of some affiliates that have come & gone here.

9. Thanks From:

Chuck, what are OPMs? I didn't realize that I could contact the Affiliate Managers directly through this site!?...if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly anyway... I'll have to do a little homework on that. Thanks for the heads-up about that.

I have only applied to about 5 affiliates so far in the genre of review site that I'm planning on starting with. They're very well known sites and I'm sure the competition to be an affiliate with them is huge.

OPM = Outsourced Program Managers, we manage multiple affiliate programs. Look at the Forum link at the top of the page and you will find listings for individual programs, OPMs. Any forum with a heart beat will have a manager posting and they list their full contact info on their profile page.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Exactly. You shouldn't even approach a merchant until you have something to show them.. they will click on the URL, and see nothing.. you have 3 seconds to get their attention.
    So you're suggesting to go live recommending the affiliate(s) and sending traffic to their site before getting approved...that makes sense, shows goodwill on my part and that I'm a real business and not a wanna-be.

IMO, build your website before you apply to anything.
    The internet is a fad.

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    OPM = Outsourced Program Managers, we manage multiple affiliate programs.
    Cool! So are you directly associated with the vendor, an employee or agent?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Little terminology lesson:

YOU are the Affiliate.
    YOU are applying to market MERCHANTS, not "affiliates"...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

We are contractors and work on a flat rate or rev share to manage and grow the affiliate program. We are not employees but Affiliate Managers are.

Also in the US we use the term merchant to denote the advertiser. An affiliate also called a publisher is the person who runs the website to send visitors to merchants. They can also do lead gen and use straight paid search an emails.

Chuck and Convergence, got it. Thanks for setting me straight on that...and for your patience with my questions. I'm learning as I go. I do have to get some time out from my busy schedule to do some reading and research on this forum.

Okay I have a better idea now of whats on my "to-do list". You guys rock.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Thanks Chuck. Yes, I did reach out to Commission Junction and ask for my application to be reviewed again and was turned down.
    I doubt you'll get a reply from CJ, as Chuck mentioned you need to contact the affiliate manager of the programs not CJ, CJ won't know why a particular program has rejected you and certainly won't follow up to find out for you.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    To echo the responses, yes, I'd need to see a live website before I would allow you into any programs. If you haven't been accepted into any merchant programs yet, then use a placeholder for the ad spaces, or a graphic instead. I need to see your look and feel, did you spell all the words right, do you have a privacy policy and contact information, etc. Sorry, but there are some unscrupulous folks in the industry, so I need to actually see what you are doing and can't just take your word initially.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Chris and JCrooks, that's really good insight for a noob like me. It's certainly logical that you'd want to confirm that I'm not a fly-by-night and are representing a company professionally and respectfully.

I've got some work to do before being able to publish the first site but all of your input here has really helped me to move forward. At least now I won't be wondering if all of the work I've been putting into the site will be for-not.

Thanks again!

23. Thanks From:

When affiliates reach out to me with a niche site for one of my merchants I will go to bat with the network to get them onboarded. It works both ways!

Are you only looking at product reviews or do you have game traffic as well? Be in touch and maybe we can get you set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Why don't you approach Affiliate Managers and OPMs who are active on ABW about working with them on their programs? You have direct contact information and can direct them to this thread.
    Great advise. I did myself recently and was successful.

"Frankly I never understood why affiliates getting started shot gun with 100's of programs before they get enough traffic to interest a program manager when you have those promotion here happy to work directly with you. "

Because they don't know any differently at that time Pssssssst when I first started I didn't even know about affiliate networks lol I went to merchant sites found the contact info and asked them that way. Is funny now and can giggle at myself but I didn't know any other affiliates at the time, no affiliate managers or anybody so that's all I knew. Didn't know about any forums for a few years and even then I just lurked for quite a while.

Chuck - where were you when I first started lol that is a really, really great idea!!

crush - definitely remember what you're feeling. You've got the great benefit of knowing about this place and being able to learn quite a bit before you start. Is much better at least in my opinion to try to learn as much as you can first and then make your site. What Chuck suggested is a really great idea. Take it slowly, learn to do things the right way and build your site. Spend some time here getting to know people and them know you. Research the programs you want to join here and reach out as Chuck suggested to the person managing the program that's here. They'll know you're "real" and would think you'll have a good chance of getting into the program that way.

Good luck and wish you the best with your site

28. Thanks From:

As an affiliate just starting out, it can be frustrating because you can't get into the larger merchants. Even some established affiliates have that issue. It's one of the reasons we started Prosperent.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; September 16th, 2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: removed commercial language

Thanks you guys! Yeah I totally get that now and feel waaay more comfortable about getting approved as I go forward.

I spent all weekend watching WordPress tutorials and playing around with what I learned.

I'm continuing to learn and really appreciate all of your help here...I feel fortunate that I both found this forum and for all of you chiming in and being so nice with your time and advise.

To the earlier point about finding contact information - many times the merchant will have a link on their site (usually in the footer) called "affiliates". That page often lays out the terms of the program as well as a contact email or in rare cases, a phone number.
    If that is still no go, sometimes you can lucky with a general email "affiliates@merchantdomain.com", may programs use that catch all address.

Now, on this page Outsourced Program Managers - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum, you will find very reputable OPM companies. I would bet most of the OPM's listed there have their clients programs on their OPM site, and if the OPM is representing the client correctly,
    will have direct contact information for any affiliate program they are managing.

Good luck!

-Chris
    Chris Cooper
    -MGECOM
    [email]socialize@mgecom.com[/email]

32. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast