ABW Ambassador
    Everyone might have noticed an e-mail today concerning contract changes that will go in effect March 28, 2003.

I will be reading over things this evening. The e-mail states that without a response to CJ of our wishes to decline in accepting the changes, it is deemed that we agree and accept them.

I would like to hear some different perspectives of how the changes will affect us.

Kelly, I'm going to assume that even a one-cent lead every few months will keep our accounts active.

Apparently there are many, many accounts still open that may be tied to now non-existent sites.

Consider Amazon.com with the count of over 900,000 affiliates. I bet 500,000 of those accounts haven't produced a penny in over a year and probably the related sites are long gone anyway.

Herb

ABW Ambassador
    I thought they liked to tout those numbers of how many affiliates they had... hm.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Disregard
    Gene
    TCS

quote:
    I thought they liked to tout those numbers of how many affiliates they had... hm.

No we aren't interested in touting numbers that don't mean anything.

If I told you we had 1 million publishers, I think you would be disapointed if only 5,000 signed up for your program. That would mean you only got 0.05% (one half of one percent) of the total number of publishers in the network.

Likewise if I told you our 1 million publisher equaled 10 million relationships, you would get no value from this number either. All it means is if 1 publisher joined 100 programs, I am saying there are 100 relationships/affiliations but 100 advertisers are saying they each have 1 publisher.

Hey, it is free to sign up but we really only want publishers that are capable of generating results. If I were a publisher and I wasn't making any money, I would loser interest sooner than 6 months.

Advertiser and publishers are both in this for one thing - making money.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I thought a lot of CJ merchants liked to auto accept anyone so I take it a lot of CJ merchants like lots of publishers. I doubt any serious CJ merchants would say they would turn down 1000 publishers who will generate one sale a year but CJ thinks that would be their preference because they are inactive for 6 months. People seldom try to sign up twice or find a way around being turned down for a program you know.

Many merchants are willing to support the current nonperformers to get at the few that will convert today tomorrow or in the future.

This is a CJ strength from a publisher perspective too. With Befree some of their advertisrs are strange and will deny publishers to pay per sale programs often. Then you have to write them and tell them the pages you had in mind to use them. It just takes extra time and many of their programs have no one that manages their programs.

OnlineSoldier.com

The webmaster's guide to the war which is the web. Analyze monetization, visitor retention, and promotion.

My son and a friend of mine both have dead accounts. Try to teach people to make money but they just can't get motivated. Accounts like these need to be closed. They don't even have web sites running any more.
    No transactions for 6 months seems okay, but is that just the start? Will they soon kick everyone that doesn't make a certain amount per month or per merchant?

The thing with closing accounts is what happens to all the links the nonperforming affiliates set up? Would they all be dead links then?
    Are thousands or possibly millions of dead links going to serve any productive purpose for CJ or its advertisers? Cj should have defined active publishers as those that deliver impressions or clicks to avoid this sort of problem. If a potential CJ merchant sees dead CJ links it undermines their belief in CJ, the same holds true for publishers. This productive publisher contract costs CJ on many levels including dead links and an association with incompetence on the web, bad feelings with up and coming webmasters, and lost potential sales and revenue as some nonperformers will generate a sale some day.

Just because Johnny's personal site can't make one sale every 6 months does not mean he won't every year or two. Now combine thousands of these low performers and over a period of a year or two you are looking at lots of lost commissions for CJ, lost sales for the merchants too.
    If someone tries to click a link from a deactivated publisher for a given merchant and it doesen't work they probably would then go search for someone else to buy from.

OnlineSoldier.com

The webmaster's guide to the war which is the web. Analyze monetization, visitor retention, and promotion.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread