OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Why does the term Super Affiliate Upset You?
    Recent conversation brings this common point up again. So I want to start a thread to sticky and point conversations to when this comes up yet again.

Why would the term Super Affiliate offend you when it used to promote an affiliate program? Isn't that what you all aspire to become? Even if you have posted your response to this a dozen times please post again so we have a legacy thread on the subject.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    There has to be a standardized definition, first.

This way, when a novice AM says they are looking for Super Affiliates we can tell them where to go...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I have always said that an affiliate that can pay their way to affiliate conferences were Super Affiliates. AffiliateHound that make a Super Affiliate.

Actually Super Affiliates are members of a cult that they only know exists. My favorite example was an Affiliate Summit keynote by JASON CALACANIS who showed a picture of a Super Affiliate holding up a six figure check. So he said he should hold up his $25M check he got for selling his company.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I see it as a two-fold issue.

On one hand, you have merchants (and by merchants I mean as a general principal in this situation small merchants and in house affiliate managers, most of whom are neophytes to the industry or are just plain lazy) who disdain the work of having to assist a large number of hard-working, grind-it-out affiliates, who produce sales, but make the affiliate managers and merchants actually do work for a living. They see the magic term "Super Affiliate" and direct their efforts to this mystical group of top-one-percenters who can make their lives easier, by joining their programs and producing billions and billions of sales, and reducing the work load of the merchant and/or affiliate manager to merely checking those ever-increasing stats.

By so doing, they are cutting out the real affiliates, either intentionally or by implication. A slightly less sinister version of this is commonly seen when affiliate managers "cull the herd" by firing affiliates who don't produce up to their mythical expectations.

On the other hand, you have the egotistical affiliates who designate themselves as "Super Affiliates". I imagine there are some of these guys who do make serious incomes the honest way, but the vast majority of affiliates who do make serious incomes the honest way would never dream of calling themselves that. Most people out there who do call themselves "Super Affiliates" are using it as a marketing technique to sell their get-rich-quick system to the unsuspecting newbie. These guy, if they ever did make any serious money as affiliates, generally did so with questionable tactics, and got out quick to market their winning systems to the unsuspecting.

Supposedly, the late, great Howard Cossell once asked a reporter "Do you know how many really great sportscasters there are?" to which the reporter answered "One less than you think". Any affiliate who refers to himself in those terms is doing so because either their ego rules their life or they are practicing to become the next Bernie Madoff.

Sorry to disagree with you Chuck, but I am not a "Super Affiliate" and I would never dream of calling myself that, or referring to any of my affiliate marketer friends with that terminology, though many of them do seem to be doing quite well.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Sorry, I would call Affiliate Hound a super affiliate too. And just to be that guy, I would call Chuck a mommy blogger for the fun of it.

My definition of a super affiliate is one who can give my merchant a sale. 80% of the affiliates can't manage to do that one simple task. I value any affiliate that has figured it out.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Yeah, the term makes me crazy too. I found that the definition of super affiliate varies by conference. At one, just working full time in affiliate marketing earned that classification. At another conference, unless you were making north of $3MM/year, you didn't have the right to be called Super.

I agree with Phil - chasing the elusive, undefinited "super affiliate" is a strategy adopted by newbies. Work hard with all your affiliates, help them to grow, and your program will grow as well, but with a firm foundation that can't be destroyed by a few affiliates wandering away!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

ABW Ambassador
    There shd be a fee to get into the Super Affiliate club. It just can't be free.

Now that's a business idea. Register a domain SuperAffiliateClub.com. Those who want to join will dish out 1000 bucks and will receive a big cardboard million dollar check and a background image of a mansion with a ferrari.
    Affiliate managers looking for super affiliates will also pay to get a list of super affiliates.

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    There shd be a fee to get into the Super Affiliate club. It just can't be free.

Now that's a business idea. Register a domain SuperAffiliateClub.com. Those who want to join will dish out 1000 bucks and will receive a big cardboard million dollar check and a background image of a mansion with a ferrari.
    Affiliate managers looking for super affiliates will also pay to get a list of super affiliates.
    Then the Super Affiliates will split the earnings paid by the Affiliate managers

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post

Why would the term Super Affiliate offend you when it used to promote an affiliate program? Isn't that what you all aspire to become?
    I don't necessarily mind the term "super affiliate" except when the context of that term is used on an exclusionary basis.

Even if the term is used on an exclusionary basis, there might be a time when a "Not Yet Super Affiliate" has a legitimate question or concern and that affiliate would appreciate the time it takes an OPM/AM to address the question/concern with an answer that is not a "write-off." I especially hate "pre-canned" responses that are not really an answer to the question/concern/situation.

I understand that some affiliates have a track record at making sales to a certain amount and that OPMs/AMs would gravitate towards those affiliates.
    That is understandable. Just don't shut the door on an "Underdog affiliate" in the quest to run after the "Super Affiliates."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+1...

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The cape is fine, but wearing tights, it's just not for me.

ABW Ambassador
    you can be a super affiliate, just as long as you are making more than you spend and are happy with your income .... From my experience, one day you can feel like a super affiliate and then a month later you going through issues where you have to go back to the drawing board to come up with new ideas. it's a constantly evolving business and very few of us will ever become super wealthy but you can still make a good living.

maybe a guy does one hour a week work on his websites but makes over $1,000 per day in commissions. That is super

Maybe you have a large website and employ quite a few staff, you turn over a good profit each year and pay a nice wage to each of your staff. You do very little yourself while others run your business. That is super...

Maybe you have a blog and write an article or two each day, you have a million + followers and you make many sales though the links on the blog. That is super...

plenty of other examples I'm sure... super is all in the mind
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I've never liked the term but can't put my finger on why. Maybe jealousy? LOL

When I see merchant emails that talk about how they love their "Super Affiliates," I immediately assume that they are talking about revenue. It may not matter than a small niche site generates GOOD revenue for a merchant. If they are not generating HUGE revenue for lots of merchants, most people would not call them a Super Affiliate.

I also think that in our industry there are a lot of pretenders. For the most part, we really have no idea how much money anyone makes as affiliate marketers. Someone could look like they are making a lot but really living off of a trust fund. Conversely, someone could be very modest about what they do and raking in millions. Which one is likely to be called a "Super Affiliate" by others?

And then there's the non-revenue part. Can someone be a Super Affiliate if their main job is making money off of other people and not actually affiliate marketing? (consulting, ebooks, speaking at conferences, etc?) I think quite a few are.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

I usually don't even refer to myself as an affiliate, let alone a "super affiliate." I'm an author, a textile designer, a crafter...sometimes even a "web designer" or "web developer" depending on the context of the conversation.

I wouldn't take offense if someone called me a "super-affiliate," because I suppose that would be a compliment. But really, when someone says "super affiliate," to me that sounds kind of cheezy-get-rich-quick-online-ish. For the most part, that's not an image that appeals to me.

I think "value-add affiliate" or "productive affiliate" are complimentary phrases that suit the members of this forum well.

17. Thanks From:

Maybe I should reword this. The term Super Affiliates is used by those launching or trying to grow their programs. Its bantered around like there's this elite club of millionaire affiliates and when you find it you are a made affiliate program. My experience is that those trying to sell you their knowledge are the ones who call themselves Super Affiliates. Buyers beware!

19. Thanks From:

No Newbie's posting on this thread? I'm just an affiliate/publisher (no super here), not making the millions ya are talking about. My site is a simple blog with ads that sometimes makes a commission. The keyword is "sometimes". My point is that while making money and becoming richer is what being in this business is about, just guessing, it's not everything, is it?

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread