...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Google May Stop Using 'Cookies' to Track Web Users
    As they continue to find ways to molest YOUR privacy...

Google May Stop Using 'Cookies' to Track Web Users - Yahoo Finance
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

2. Thanks From:

Thanks for the info!

I just read that article twice, and I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around what all that might mean. Convergence, I really hope your post prompts an informed discussion, and I'd love to know your opinion on all this as well.

I think before I comment on that article specifically, I have to mull it over and understand it better. But for sure I'll be right here reading the replies with interest.

As an Internet content creator, I already struggle with where my "line" needs to be; I need to share enough to keep an audience interested in what I'm doing and writing about, but at the same time I'd like to maintain my privacy. I suppose it never really was possible to do both, but it's getting increasingly challenging, isn't it?

On the one hand, I think we're creating our own prisons with all this technology. I wasn't much a fan of cookies to start with, although now that I'm affiliate marketing I'm well aware that they have their benefits.

I'm so used to cookies, and the use of cookies on the Internet is so ingrained into my understanding of the Internet, that it's both intriguing and a little scary to imagine what comes next.

The article you linked to mentioned that USA Today had already reported on this issue. I was curious enough about it to look around for that article as well. Here it is:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ising/2823183/

This article says essentially the same thing but has a few additional insights.

I'm still trying to understand it all and get a handle on what might happen next.

What did you say your blood type was?
    Oh that's right google already has that info.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

6. Thanks From:

IMhO, basically the Google is creating a new tracking system to offset what the browsers are doing to prevent across domain tracking.

This will add value to the Google's advertisers, allowing them information on a specific user's browsing habits in order to better market to them.

My thoughts? Clever for the Google - bad for users.

Keep in mind that desktop/laptop usage is dropping - that's not the target audience. It's MOBILE. Think of all the apps people download onto their phones/mobile devices on a whim. If most people actually read and understood the app's terms - their loved ones would find them curled up in a fetal position on the bathroom floor.

Mobile apps not only identify YOU, but everyone on your contact list. Those apps read/know your phone number, your location at any moment via GPS, what websites you visit, etc - all easily connected back to YOU...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes and we give that information to them at will when we allow an app to log us in via Facebook or Twitter. Then they make it difficult to login on a mobile device with email and password. While at the speaker enclave at Pubcon two years ago there was a strong comment about social sites, Microsoft, Google and Yahoo all pushing users to social logins.

If I were G I would certainly store all personal information (as they are already doing) on my servers so its not disconnected nor wiped by other sites/apps. With a desktop/laptop you can uniquely identify an individual by IP followed by MAC address of your network card. That has been available for over a decade. If you can then merge that information with a smart phone and tablet you have a consumer profile that you can sell to an advertiser.

Affiliates drank the G koolaide for years (myself included) with free Gmail, Gchat, Gcalendar, Analytics, AdSense, AdWords, Gdocs, Chrome, Youtube. They not only have your blood type but also your credit information and online DMA. And we gave it all to them for free!

Your cell phone number is the most identifiable, personal information, you have - more so now than even your social security number. It's tied into everything...

10. Thanks From:

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread