Question New Site Launch - Initial traffic now none
    Hi all,

I'm new to posting on this forum but have used it loads in the past for research.

I've been playing around with affiliate marketing / web design for about three years but have only just released my first site last month.

Initially I was getting 250+ unique visits per day from google and all seemed to be starting of well, I got my first sale (of just 6.01, but still!) and thought things were looking good.

I then went on holiday for two weeks and when checking my traffic upon returning I'm getting approx 10 new visits per day? There have been no changes to the code of my site, and the site downloads new feeds automatically so the content just change daily.

I've checked my Google webmasters account an I still have 80,000+ pages indexed.

As I said I'm fairly new to affiliate marketing and most of my research as been into site development, I wondered if anyone could offer and advise or explanations to this? I am using datafeeds which I'm sure thousands of other do too so maybe its because the feeds are not unique? Any pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Hi Chris - Welcome to ABW.

Bottom line with the Google:

What do you have that It doesn't already?

It is a trade-off. You provide what It doesn't have in exchange for being shown in the SERPs...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Convergence.

I've also recieved an email from my host saying that the number of files on their server is too high and to reduce them, this is as I'm caching all of the images, and I have now reduced the files.

Do you think they could be restricting access? All the logs they provide suggest not but the email does coincide with the reduction in traffic.

I know I'll be spending alot of time on this forum as I hope to improve my success and I fully agree with you with the trad-off but surely they're alot of people out there and on ABW that use imported feeds and still get traffic?

Thanks again for the reply, every comment very helpful!

Cheers
    Chris

If you were getting visitors based on your images, then it is possible your hosting issues could cause a decrease in traffic to your images.

There has been rumored of several updates (unconfirmed) in the past three weeks. As an affiliate you are not allowed to go on holiday/vacation - not to mention for two weeks. I am starting to refer to these updates as "The affiliate killer" and "The competition Killer".

Yes, there are many folks using product feeds - Are they still getting the same traffic they did at one time using ONLY product feeds? NO...

6. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    One thing I have heard from several affiliates is that G will index and rank a new site, for a period. After that period (as G decides) the traffic goes away. Head Convergence advice:
    Bottom line with the Google:

What do you have that It doesn't already?

It is a trade-off. You provide what It doesn't have in exchange for being shown in the SERPs...

Thanks both, I agree the launch date of my site was badly timed, it was a case of eagerness to get it launched thinking I could make small changes using my tablet while away, the trouble was that the wifi was very poor in the apartment.

I understand that is not just going to be a case of "auto import feeds daily and watch the benefits roll in" I have the ability to review products on my site and I think this is something I'm going to have to push for, along with articles, facebook, twitter etc.

Chuck, it does appear that I was in sort of a "honeymoon period" for a few weeks.

I'm considering trialling adwords also, i'm confident that my site can be very helpful and I'm sure once people use it they will return as its a comparison site comparing many large sites with ebay etc. and the comments I've had from reviews are very promising.

I still have a long way to go but sure i'll learn alot from ABW

Again any further comments welcomed

Cheers
    Chris

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Be careful with AdWords and set maximum bids and daily limited. Back in the day we set a campaign for the work "auto" and were selling car accessories. Came back the next day and had spent $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Be careful with AdWords and set maximum bids and daily limited. Back in the day we set a campaign for the work [sic] "auto" and were selling car accessories. Came back the next day and had spent $2000.
    LOL - back in 2008 made the mistake of not pausing a lingerie campaign on a Friday evening. Before we realized we hadn't paused the campaign we spent $500 - took less than 4 hours - must have had every prepubescent boy in the country hoping for a glimpse of some nudity...

11. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread