OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Forecast: Mobile Devices To Eclipse PCs In Q4 This Year
    Saw this coming: Forecast: Mobile Devices To Eclipse PCs In Q4 This Year

Since AvantLink offered tracking of mobile sales this Spring I have seen a 17.5% conversion by mobile for my largest merchant on that network. Pushing the developer to make sure the cart is mobile enabled and to add adaptive design to the site. Anyone seeing a lift in their programs by putting efforts into mobile?

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar
    There was another recent MarketingLand article that gave some really interesting stats on how many people mostly access the internet through their phones: 34% Go Online Mostly With Mobile

Talked with a developer for a merchant yesterday and asked what it would take to bring that site up to standard via mobile. He said it would take considerable work to convert the site so it won't be possible until after Q4 if the merchant authorizes the work.

Chad I see that AvantLink has mobile extensions if you will to tag assets for mobile distribution. So if a merchant provides those banner sizes are they presented specifically as mobile to the affiliates?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Chad I see that AvantLink has mobile extensions if you will to tag assets for mobile distribution. So if a merchant provides those banner sizes are they presented specifically as mobile to the affiliates?
    Yes and no. Merchants have the ability to categorize an ad as being mobile optimized for either a phone or a tablet, but we also highly encourage merchants to put the type of device the ad was built for (eg. iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, etc) in the title of the ad as well. This way it not only specifies that it's mobile oriented but also tells the affiliate exactly what device it was sized for.

That's a new one on me, how do I know I am targeting iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S4?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    That's a new one on me, how do I know I am targeting iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S4?
    Well, that's really up to you and knowing your affiliate base I guess. For example, if you have affiliate who promotes your products by running banner ads through a mobile iPhone app, you'll most likely want to be able to provide banner ads that fit the width of the screen correctly in the app (640px).

We actually provide some mobile banner ad sizing recommendations here.

For the most part, mobile banner ad sizes are made for affiliates with iOS and Android apps as those apps clearly have very specific widths for each device. For an affiliate who has a mobile version of their site, well, pretty much any standard banner ad will work since a lot of mobile sites are now being built with responsive CSS that will just scale all the content to the width of the screen up to certain predetermined size thresholds. But it's still nice to have ads that have been optimized to fit the specific screen width of the device viewing the site.

7. Thanks From:

Chad, Great work as usual by the team at AvantLink. Awesome to see those developments coming out and available to help merchants and affiliates.

________
    Chris
    MGECOM
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; September 25th, 2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
    Chris Cooper
    -MGECOM
    [email]socialize@mgecom.com[/email]

9. Thanks From:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread