Google releases Hummingbird - search engine overhaul
    We knew something was brewing, but they just made it official:

Google unveils major overhaul of its search engine

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/26/goo...m-hummingbird/

90%..????

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    A month ago, huh? Looks about right...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    How's everyone this week after the SERP volatility hit 103°F on Mozcast?

Still:

1. Dog days of summer?
    2. The Google?
    3. The economy?

All the above - or have you been impervious to the fluctuations?

Personally I hope it's NOT #2 -

Sure feels and smells like it though...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Google revolutionized search by developing the PageRank system for ranking the world's web pages based on relevance, using an algorithm that tracked how many times those pages are referenced by other pages. In 2010, Google completely changed the system through an upgrade called Caffeine — and now the company has re-built it again with Hummingbird.
    I don't even recall Caffeine update, was that when they added the changing pictures next to the search submit box?

Caffeine was an algo to increase search speed, for the most part...

Thanks for the article, Teezone. The most interesting part of the article (in my opinion) is:
    The main focus, and something that went repeated many a time, was that the new algorithm allows Google to more quickly parse full questions (as opposed to parsing searches word-by-word), and to identify and rank answers to those questions from the content they’ve indexed.
    Source: Google Recently Made A Silent Shift To A New Search Algorithm, “Hummingbird” | TechCrunch
    If Google is putting an emphasis on "full questions" and the answers to those questions, this recent change will be beneficial to those skilled at copywriting
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    If Google is putting an emphasis on "full questions" and the answers to those questions, this recent change will be beneficial to those skilled at copywriting
    Not putting more emphasis on "full questions" - just better parsing of them. Prohibits SEO...

I liken this to a dictionary vs encyclopedia..

This is speculation, but I'm guessing sites that were able to rank based on factual keywords will be trumped by more detailed explanations - automated vs hand-cultivated.

It has always frustrated me to see a few sites rank VERY well for a content page that consists of 1 line of text + photo, compared to my 3 paragraphs + 4 photos.

9. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Here is an interesting article: Did Edward Snowden Kill the Search Engine Optimization Industry?

This is the part that I actually like as it will really shake things up for SEO:

Keyword "not provided"

In October of 2011, Google rolled out its first SSL encryption. It meant that if someone was logged into a Google product when they conducted a search, the keyword phase they used to make the query would not be reported to the webmaster of the website visited. At the time, Google claimed it would impact less than 10 percent of queries. Analytics software reports these visits as "keyword 'not provided.'"

Since then, Google has added encryption on searches from Firefox, Safari, iOS devices and others which have led to a steady increase in unknown keyword phrases.

As mentioned above, Google has indicated that it's moving to full encryption. That means that, very soon, 100 percent of all search queries will be unknown to webmasters. It's trending to hit 100 percent on November 22nd of 2013.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

11. Thanks From:

Ok, maybe I am a bit lost.

How does this potentially "kill" SEO?

Why would it not be regarded as a revolution, or a revelation, of SEO going forward?

If more emphasis will be put on full questions, or the parsing of full questions, wouldn't this just mean that your efforts would need to be focused around questions being asked by the web searcher with the key words or key phrases in them?

You have to forgive me, I affiliate market through heavy organic content and I have not been having any problems ranking relevant long copy, if I am understanding this change correctly.
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]The RIGHT Voice Can Increase Your Conversion Rates Up to 35%![/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DimGray"]Fentriss O. Moore - Professional Voice Talent[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://www.soundcloud.com/moorevoices"]Audio Work Reel[/URL] [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/MooreVoices?feature=mhee"]Video Work Reel[/URL]

13. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    How does this potentially "kill" SEO?
    I agree Dereck and it will only kill it for those who can't adapt. Personally I use Analytics very little but I'm still 100% organic and this changes nothing for me, if anything it gives me an advantage over those who rely on stats ....
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

15. Thanks From:

I don't know why people make fuzz about Google updates, if you doing the right practice, you are not affected, this didn't change a thing for my websites.

I don't know why people make fuzz about Google updates, if you doing the right practice, you are not affected, this didn't change a thing for my websites.
    Well good for you then..

Obviously you have perfect technical skills to have never needed 301s when a query string is added to urls, or perhaps you never installed a paid script that included a hidden backlink to the developer, or purchased a template that was poorly coded.. and the list goes on.

The problem with google updates is that with every 1000 bad players they punish, 5% of those might be good players being hit as collateral damage.

For the record, Hummingbird has actually been good for my sites, but please leave the smug attitude at the door (ie. "what's the fuss"). There are plenty of people making a fuss who have done nothing wrong... I worked with a client who had TWO domains pointing to the same ecommerce store. Panda killed her site - it was an innocent mistake, she had no clue the damage she had done (she's a jewelry designer, not a web expert). And there are plenty more stories like that.

The SEO that should get killed off is the clinical link-building, keyword-obsessed kind. Keyword analysis used to be great for spotting trends.. you could see what you did well, and learn from it. I'll miss it for that reason, but nothing else.

You're right that good content and the "right practice" should prevail, but that hasn't always been the case.

18. Thanks From:

OK, I'm adding an update to my post, which may have sounded harsh... that wasn't my intention.

Affiliate sites continue to be squeezed every which way by google, with very little recourse. They (google) have also become incredibly aggressive in their crawling, looking for vulnerabilities (hence the query string comment).

For anyone who looks to google for traffic, algorithm changes are a very important part of this business now.. I've experienced it myself, but also with clients I have worked with. They should not be dismissed lightly.

Again, didn't mean to sound harsh, it's just a knee-jerk reaction!
    Last edited by teezone; October 16th, 2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: typo

So, let me clarify at this point, I understand their are new people coming with new sites every day, and I understand others may get hits and they don't know what hit them.

What I am talking about here people who have been through various Google updates over the last few years. Google is not re-inventing the wheels, and their update shall not be as a shock for someone who have been around in business for years.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    To quote Anthony Michael Hall from Sixteen Candles: "This is getting good"

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread