Question Homepage content vs Product Page content?
    Hi all,

A bit of background info.
    I have a DIY comparison website that is relatively new and is struggling to get traffic at the minute (the "google dance" and a sale on day 1 falsely got my hopes up at launch!)

After reading many articles and posts on AWB I'm failrly confident that this is due to a) Insufficient content on my homepage b) the data feeds are generic at the moment so the content is probably duplicated all over the web.

From the above I'm now planning on increasing the content on my homepage, revising the trageted keywords and trying to make the links on the homepage relevant to the target audience and search engines, from this I'm hoping to draw visitors to my homepage who will then inturn use my search box and internal links to view products.

But then I'm looking at it from the angle that if I was searching for a new DIY product and I didn't know which site to buy it from, i'd use google and i'd click on a link that took me direct to the product page.

Therefore, to get traffic to my product pages I'd have to increase their ranking on search engines, by restructuring, internal link building and increasing the amount of unique content.

I aim to do both of these, but what are your thoughts on this? Would you aim for homepage first then the product pages, or vice versa?

Also am I way off with my thoughts here and would you suggest other methods?

All comments appreciated!

Cheers
    Chris

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Wherever you want traffic to land is where you need need to have content. Consider the following:

1) Add and change up content on your home page frequently (pick a category and promote it weekly, seasonally, etc).

2) Create category landing pages with content. You can have generic content about each category that you leave as is, but come back on a regular schedule (see #1) and add/change up a few lines of promotional text in addition to your generic content. Feature a merchant, feature an item, etc.

3) Start visualizing how you can present your product pages in a more beneficial way. If you say people can compare, give them something to compare. Also, start digesting your merchant's and how they format their feeds' descriptions. Is there something there that consistent and can be changed at import time to give you a different description than everyone else?

4) Start visualizing how you can integrate additional features for your visitors.

5) Start planning for offline marketing - go talk to some old-timers and ask how they marketed before the interwebs...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

in superCool's opinion ....
    - make the home page look decent and respectable with easy access to products, categories and other content - home page content is not that important (IMO)
    - improve content on product pages
    - improve content on list pages (category list, etc..)

superCool has a site that gets most of it's traffic through the category pages - other sites get most of their traffic through product pages. traffic to home page is usually through links rather than search engines

hope for the best but be prepared for a long hard road. this ain't easy

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Both, some good points and i'll definitely be acting on these.

I've neglegted the importance of my category list pages, currently there isn't any text context (or very minimal), i'll change this ASAP

Convergence, I have considered changing the feed description during import and by you also suggesting it I think this is going to move up my priority list. I'll have a go at the weekend writing an update to my script.

I will also work on the hopepage, it also lacks content.

Cheers
    Chris

The homepage is general with good navigation.
    You want to create awareness with links to pages with more specifics.

Look up "funnel marketing."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

8. Thanks From:

Have to agree with what's been said..it's your product pages that you want to draw your audience to.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks for the replies, the product page is now my initial target, but hopefully I can move fast and upgrade all pages quickly.

Rhia, thanks for the pointer about funnel marketing, i've only read a few articles but it seems very interesting and beneficial! I'm stuck in the office all of this weekend so may try and find a few minutes to study this further!

Cheers
    Chris

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Have to agree with what's been said..it's your product pages that you want to draw your audience to.
    Look at your analytics and find the keywords you are being found for. Then deepen the content on those product pages.

13. Thanks From:

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
    Hi all,

Therefore, to get traffic to my product pages I'd have to increase their ranking on search engines, by restructuring, internal link building and increasing the amount of unique content.

All comments appreciated!
    Cheers
    Chris
    Just some cool content on a homepage wouldn't drive any traffic at glance. I would say: Initial pull for traffic can be of from advertising your homepage in classifieds as well as adsense programs. Once you gain a momentum of traffic from those sources then your site may rank good in alexa as well as search engine and you start getting organic traffic which really triggers sales and popularity.
    [URL="http://www.softnwords.com"]Unique articles and content listing[/URL]

Thanks Skyguide.

Just an update, I'm currently working on customizing the descriptions of my feeds during import so they will be 100% unique to my site. With a bit of code I can now also pick up on specific words in the descriptions, determine what the product is from those words and then provide a "Helpful Tips" section which has custom text about that product and what other products may be used along side the product (linking to other areas of my site).

I'm hoping to have this complete by the end of the week so I'll provide an update for review

Cheers
    Chris

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    The homepage is general with good navigation.
    You want to create awareness with links to pages with more specifics.

Look up "funnel marketing."
    I appreciative your thought on the above topic.Thanks for your information.

It is important to have valuable information on the home page and product pages as well. It is also important to upload suitable images on the product pages for increasing the readability.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread