Smile Great Image Resources
    This article is entitled "Best Image Resources for WordPress" but the listing includes resources that could help within your site as well. The author does not exaggerate when he writes "In todayís article, Iím going to enlist some of the best online sites where you can get free royalty-free stock images and awesome free icons." Just keep in mind that these sources may have various/different licensing agreements. Always read the license and follow the license to be in the clear.

Best Image Resources for WordPress - WPExplorer

~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

2. Thanks From:

Rhia7 Thank you - Great link
    Thank you for posting this. A great link that hopefully will help me find images I can use.

4. Thanks From:

Hi Lanny, there are a few sites on the list that I already use and approve of
    (sxc.hu & morguefile.com)

This article is a great summary of the sites and introduces others that
    are new to me The article looks like a good one
    The only catch is that everyone needs to remember to read & follow the terms of services & the licenses.

I'm glad you like this list
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

6. Thanks From:

I often worry that using free images from some of these free sites could cause problems -- suppose someone has uploaded an image they had no rights to and I download it, use it, and get challenged by the "real" rights owner? Even though I downloaded the image thinking it was free to use, would that come back to bite me?

I mean, how do I know those sites haven't been duped either on purpose or by error when someone mistakenly uploaded an image to them?

Always concerns me.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

8. Thanks From:

Gary, I, too, have always been leery of the "free" services - for exactly the reasons you stated. I've got too much at stake to not be careful - maybe to the point of paranoia.

With the exception of datafeed images from a merchant, nearly 100% of the images on my sites have been shot by me. In a few cases I have used purchased images from iStockPhoto or Dreamstime. I also have some guest articles from a couple local folks from whom I purchased some "local knowledge" content. In a couple of cases that included pictures that they shot - which were "bought and paid for" as part of the content writing I was buying.

(Hmmm...I feel a blog post in the making...)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

10. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I, too, have never been a big fan of "free images", "free themes"...Many free sites out there online. There is no way to verify the free stuff on the sites are really "free". Just don't like the idea of getting caught in the middle of the real owner and the "free stuff" provider.

I don't use any free images and I only use the free themes if they are on WP. Better safe than sorry, I guess .

12. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I just steal mine from Teezone.

j/k...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    I just steal mine from Teezone.
    Hah, I nearly spit out my coffee on that one, very funny!! Always happy to share with the community

On the subject of my photo copyright-obsessed self, the VERY ironic happened a few weeks ago.. one of those hired-gun "threat letter" lawyers had the nerve to send my host a DMCA complaint about a photo on MY website... that I had indeed paid for, and properly licensed. I was FURIOUS.

Having said that, it was one of those heart-stopping moments - I was pleased I could produce an agency contract and proof of purchase quickly. And yet some of my competitors have built their sites on photos copied from others.. sigh.

16. Thanks From:

Rhia7 I will concentrate on those 2 sites
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Hi Lanny, there are a few sites on the list that I already use and approve of
    (sxc.hu & morguefile.com)

This article is a great summary of the sites and introduces others that
    are new to me The article looks like a good one
    The only catch is that everyone needs to remember to read & follow the terms of services & the licenses.

I'm glad you like this list
    Hi Rhia7: I will concentrate on the 2 sites you mentioned that you are using and will try to figure out which images are free and I will study the license and TOS. As others have responded, there are potential risks, which I will try to avoid. Thanks again!

It would be very difficult to offer a decent level of service without a per transaction fee. Take our business model as an example. We offer various affiliate tools, and a comprehensive api with unlimited data access. We spend 15k a month in JUST server infrastructure to handle this. If we used a subscription model, we would need 1,000 active affiliates just to keep the lights on in our data center.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina Maria View Post
    It would be very difficult to offer a decent level of service without a per transaction fee. Take our business model as an example. We offer various affiliate tools, and a comprehensive api with unlimited data access. We spend 15k a month in JUST server infrastructure to handle this. If we used a subscription model, we would need 1,000 active affiliates just to keep the lights on in our data center.
    Huh? Did you even read this thread?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Interesting thread... Free sites vs Paid sites and there is no consensus on the quality of the either; there is a concern about the legality and the constant fear of legal action, which is not unwarranted in our litigious society.
    As a newbie I am sure I am going to be dependent on third party pictures...
    (My photography skills leveled off at a Kodak Brownie )
    Assuming I want to walk on the side of the law, how stringent are the TOS and license agreements? Is there a significant amount of "paperwork"?
    TIA to those who take the effort and time to reply!

Affiliate Manager
    This is also a good resource for finding images. Many are in the public domain, and many require minimal attribution for use.

Wikimedia Commons
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; January 8th, 2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Approved

Assuming I want to walk on the side of the law, how stringent are the TOS and license agreements?
    Not sure I understand the question.. it's specific to the site where you purchased the photo. Pay a few bucks, and you can use it..

For example: Size and uses for Fotolia royalty free images

And I highly recommend you properly license photos for your website, otherwise you run the risk of a DMCA notice sent to your host. That's not a fun exercise.

I've had so many problems with photo theft from my own site, I'm sick and tired of website owners who think "right-clicking" gives them a right to steal photos that I have paid good money for.

Honestly, good stock photography is NOT expensive - I have built professional sites using $5 photos..

23. Thanks From:

Thanks teezone ! Appreciate the guidance and the link !

Sorry I didn't chime in yesterday when I first saw your question (Assuming I want to walk on the side of the law, how stringent are the TOS and license agreements?) but somehow I got distracted.

Teezone, however, got it right. Just read what the license is for whatever site you like, pay the fee, download and use. Just make sure you keep your "receipts." I have not personally uses Fotolia but they are similar to iStockPhoto and Dreamstime, which I have used.

I have no idea what your targeted niche(s) is(are) - but there may be some federal government sites that have images available. If the image was provided by a government employee in the course of doing their job then the image is likely in the public domain. Our tax dollars at work. I only mention that because I was able (for example) to use some Fish & Wildlife Service images when I was creating images for personal checks.

For another niche of ours, travel, I have been able to provide my own images (Ocean City and Baltimore, MD). We are using (literally) hundreds of my photos among several of our sites. I also take current photos for our Facebook pages supporting some of those sites. (Yesterday, at sunrise, I was on the beach in Ocean City with my camera in 12-degree weather. )

Remember that the Internet is a "visual" medium. People do like to see pictures.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Bill..... And from the ironic point of view Being an old and slow combat Vet.. "federal government sites that have images available..." scares me LoL!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Namvet4 View Post
    ...And from the ironic point of view Being an old and slow combat Vet.. "federal government sites that have images available..." scares me LoL!!!!!!!
    Well stated.

BTW - our son is also a vet - three tours - Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan. Go ARMY!

BTW #2 - example of a recent photo used to promote our beach sites (shot yesterday - Ocean City, MD, beach - 12 degrees at sunrise) - has already had several hundred views:

29. Thanks From:

Hey, Andrew - where are you located in NJ? It would be interesting to have lunch one day.

I may be there one (sunny) day next week - with my camera, in the Cape May and Wildwood areas. I'll probably be taking the Cape May/Lewes Ferry over to NJ early in the day and then using the "northern route" (Del. Memorial Bridge) to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well stated.

BTW - our son is also a vet - three tours - Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan. Go ARMY!

BTW #2 - example of a recent photo used to promote our beach sites (shot yesterday - Ocean City, MD, beach - 12 degrees at sunrise) - has already had several hundred views:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Hey, Andrew - where are you located in NJ? It would be interesting to have lunch one day.

I may be there one (sunny) day next week - with my camera, in the Cape May and Wildwood areas. I'll probably be taking the Cape May/Lewes Ferry over to NJ early in the day and then using the "northern route" (Del. Memorial Bridge) to get home.
    Thanks Bill and I say to your Son: Welcome Home and Thank You for your service to our Country!
    I still labor daily at a full time job for a manufacturing company, but when the weather turns better perhaps we can get together... Enjoy your time in Cape May County.. There are some fantastic photographic locations that are worth visiting; i.e. the Cape May Lighthouse!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Namvet4
    ......when the weather turns better perhaps we can get together... Enjoy your time in Cape May County.. There are some fantastic photographic locations that are worth visiting; i.e. the Cape May Lighthouse!?!?!
    Looking forward to possibly getting together.
    I will certainly shoot the Cape May Lighthouse but my main goal will be to shoot the two remaining, of the five original, Fire Control Towers. (One has a motel built around it - so I'll only be able to get the top. ) I need them to complete a site about the Fire Control Towers - that, effectively, were one of the original forms of Homeland Security. I have photos of the 11 that exist in Delaware and my emphasis will be them. A few pictures I have put on line so far are at Fire Control Towers | Delaware Coastal Defense Towers (More a personal interest site than an income producer, although I may eventually sell a couple prints of my photos).

33. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread