Using sub-directories on a domain
    The cost of buying domains and maintaining them if they don't pan out is sometimes not a wise choice. I am wondering if anyone here has a thought on using one domain name and adding sub-directories to that URL so as to host additional sites under it. An example would be:

somedomainname.com/directory1(blue widgets)
    somedomainname.com/directory2(trips to Spain)
    somedomainname.com/directory3(selling T shirts)
    somedomainname.com/directory4(an opt-in page)

Under each directory would be an related or unrelated niche site promoting an affiliate item. Maybe there would be links from the main URL or maybe not.

How would this work with SEO? Good or bad? Would there be potential negative repercussions on the main URL if the sub-directory sites were unrelated and somewhat thin in content?

I guess a truly dumb question from a newbie.
    Thanks
    Last edited by sdavenport; October 8th, 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: text did not display the way I intended.

Would there be potential negative repercussions on the main URL if the sub-directory sites were unrelated and somewhat thin in content?
    Diluting a site is a bad idea.. build one good site and only branch out to sub-domains if there is a valid reason. And thin is bad no matter where it is.

fyi, links between sub-domains now count as internal links:
    Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Reorganizing internal vs. external backlinks

The only SEO issue you would have is getting a fragmented site to rank (not easy).

If it's a different topic, and will be managed separately (content, products, etc), I would launch a new domain.. very few affiliates succeed being a "jack of all trades, master of none".

3. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Whether or not you go with sub-DOMAINS (directory1.example.com) or sub-DIRECTORIES (example.com/directory1) you must carefully plan out your navigation - not only so your visitors can get around, but the bots as well.

Notice I said "so your visitors can get around". If your site is fragmented with each sub-directory/category it's not going to make much sense to your visitors. People who are shopping for high heel pumps aren't going to say "Ooh, power tools!" (well unless they are looking at size 15 pumps and, well, nevermind).

Hardest thing to do for many affiliates is to stay focused. Domains and hosting are cheap. Build out one site to the maximum of your abilities and vision - THEN move on to - SQUIRREL!...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Honestly, is it too soon to nominate the above as post of the year..???

VERY funny!

6. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Its never too late and that's why we created a place to stash them: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/nomin...nd-169760.html

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    .. very few affiliates succeed being a "jack of all trades, master of none".
    I suspect this is the very foundation of my problem. Too many irons in the fire so I am constantly jumping from one thing to the next and never really accomplishing anything tangible. Before I ever get close to having a fully optimized site I give up and move on to the next "big idea". Rinse repeat.

Thanks folks.

"Stay focused", a problem I recently labeled as "W.W.W.A.D.D.". Note: I also suffer from this affliction, haha!

Of course there are 1,0000 links out there with tips how to to stay focused but this wa sa good read: 3 Ways to Stay Focused - wikiHow
    (no affiliation, just thought it was quick, easy read with good tips at the bottom)

I also wanted to mention.. HEY - what happened to that squirrel I just read about!!?!
    :-)

-Chris
    MGECOM
    Chris Cooper
    -MGECOM
    [email]socialize@mgecom.com[/email]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread