Commission Junction Datafeeds Mangled...
    My CJ datafeeds are a bit mangled with incorrect BuyUrls being attached to valid merchant descriptions. So for instance, Goedeker's feed might have an entry for a GE water filter who's BuyURL lands on something like, "Expedia". These are even programs that I'm not a member of!

So, if you are a datafeed user, check your "Invalid Links" report to see if clicks are registering for merchant programs you haven't joined. That will give you a quick indication of the severity. But... They are also mixing and matching product attributes & buyurls for programs that I AM a member of, which won't show in the invalid link report.
    Last edited by isellstuff; October 14th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Oh man... I've got Homedepot links going to sexual toy website... Frick... I guess I'm going to have to do a "safety" check on all urls and try to exclude one's that don't contain the ProgramUrl in the BuyUrl.
    Last edited by isellstuff; October 14th, 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Oh man... I've got Homedepot links going to sexual toy website... Frick... I guess I'm going to have to do a "safety" check on all urls and try to exclude one's that don't contain the ProgramUrl in the BuyUrl.
    Yes I had to start doing this last year on my feeds from CJ.

I also think the problem is the company that building the feeds and not CJ themself, because I always find the same urls in the feed week to week which makes me think it with the building of the feed is where the problem is.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Yes I had to start doing this last year on my feeds from CJ.
    Was that because of this bug or something else? I just noticed that this might take care of links that go to merchant home pages as well, which would be nice.

I'm doing a test run right now to see how much stuff will be dropped.

Was that because of this bug or something else? I just noticed that this might take care of links that go to merchant home pages as well, which would be nice.

I'm doing a test run right now to see how much stuff will be dropped.
    Same bug I think. In most case the product details, images, etc was correct for the merchants product feed except the URL was for another site/program.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

BTW, this will exclude too many of my programs who's valid landing page isn't the same as their programUrl. I'm having to create a "mapping" from program names to approved urls.

Well, I've written some software code to get rid of most of the bad urls. The only one's that will get through will be a mismatch for the same merchant.

I also have a good idea of the scope of the problem and it is quite large. Tons of programs that I am not a member of, 1,000's of incorrect urls in all of my datafeed files.

I was very lucky to have a "good" set of datafeed files dating from 9/19, which I could use as a baseline. This was definitely not how I wanted to spend this evening...

I'm doing a data load right now, so i'm glad you alerted me to this. This isn't even something we thought we would have to check for. What a mess......

My final tally was 1,670 bogus links spanning all kinds of merchants. What really upsets me is the liability involved. I am running a family oriented website, yet I might have children's toy links landing on XXX rated material!

I had to do about 4 test runs through the "known good" files before I had a complete mapping of merchants to acceptable urls. It was the 1 merchant account -> many websites that made it take so long, plus, many merchants are using services such as searchmarketing.com to track their urls.

My final tally was 1,670 bogus links spanning all kinds of merchants. What really upsets me is the liability involved. I am running a family oriented website, yet I might have children's toy links landing on XXX rated material!
    So are these clicks showing up in your "click(s) from invalid links" on the CJ homepage???

Also was the whole product information wrong (title, img, link, description, etc...) or was it just one part of the product was wrong. In my case everything was ok except the URL. So it your case it showed the kids toy title, description, image but if you click on the product it took you to the XXX site.

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    So are these clicks showing up in your "click(s) from invalid links" on the CJ homepage???
    Yeah, I've got quite a few affiliate links from programs I'm not a member of and they are showing in the invalid click report. But... I've also got bad links from programs I am a member of...

In my case everything was ok except the URL. So it your case it showed the kids toy title, description, image but if you click on the product it took you to the XXX site.
    yeah, same for me, valid title, image, description but bad url. To be fair, it was a home improvement product that landed on a page selling large plastic dildos. I didn't see a kids toy one...

12. Thanks From:
    kse

I got a note back from CJ support. It is a known issue, has been happening for several days, reported by multiple publishers.

Yes but just to be clear it was going on in 2012 as well!!! And not for a few days it went on for month's!!! Not sure when or if it got fixed since my script now checks for this issue on every update!! And the fact is I been getting invalid clicks from merchants who I never been in their program every month for the last year or so. To bad I can not cleanup Popshops/GoldenCan the same way I can for my own database.

This is why it's best to do it ourselves.. can't really rely on popshops/goldencan.

I agree it better to do it our self's but to be fair to popshops/goldencan it not their issue. The issue is either with the merchant or network.

If the user experience is affected, I believe it's everyone's issue.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread