OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Updated to a solid state hard drive!
    Been keeping an old Toshiba laptop running and recently blew the original hard drive. Its a Windows Vista machine and couldn't find the install CD (buried somewhere) so I purchased a solid state hard drive via Tiger Direct and Win7. Snapped in the hard drive in the laptop and it came up with no problem. Installed Win7 and did all the upgrades, piece of cake but took all day yesterday. Had Office previously purchased from Amazon and was able to download and install with without CDs. They make it easy to copy the license, its the way to go and will probably buy all future software through them.

This thing is really fast, whew! A solid state drive is 100x faster than even a 7200 RPM drive. I am sure the new systems are even faster as they are optimized for it with controller and cache. Needless to say it took an old system to the next level for less than $100. Only 120Gb at that price but I keep everything on a flash drive and cloud.

2. Thanks From:

I ditched my plater drive in 2009 when SSDs became reasonably priced. It takes about 20 seconds to go from a completely shut down computer to being online. I no longer have a splash screen for programs like Photoshop. Sometimes I go to open a program and it snaps open so quick it feels like I hadn't even clicked the icon yet.

It even makes ABW faster!

I haven't gone full Cloud for all my file storage but thinking about it. Just paranoid about the security. Probably stay with a flash drive and back it up to Mozy.

My main computer only uses a 120gb SSD drive. I do have a 2tb IO Safe(backups) and an inhouse server with 4tb networked.

I need the portability of a laptop but mainly use it as a desktop. I like that I can use the extended desktop and have a 22" Samsung so its like having three monitors.

Was using a 1Gb netbook attached to the big monitor while I was waiting for drive and time to upgrade. Thinking about upgrading that drive to solid state but with no CD its tough to upgrade. I may try to ghost it. Thinking about using it to run IM and streaming music/news. Was streaming Pandora through my iPhone attached to a sound system. Works well enough until a call comes in.

We moved all of our servers over to enterprise level ssd's a couple years ago. A single drive is faster than a raid array of 50 10K sas drives. It more than doubles the number of requests we can handle with the same number of servers. Amazing technology!

I use SSD on my servers. Definitely makes a difference in load times for my visitors.

When I was a single man many moons ago I would always guy the latest and greatest technology. Had to have the new stuff and the fastest. Now I try to run what I have until it goes which isn't always the smarted thing. I got my first PC in 1989 and it was immediately obsolete. Learned a ton updating and fine tuning. Many hours spent trying to get things working well before the Internet. Now I am surprised when something works well.

Have a confession to make. I am going back to a Macbook Pro because you install or upgrade once and it works. Maybe a bit simplistic but have been burned by PCs for so many years. I hesitated getting a smart phone and chose the iPhone and love it because it works.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread