Question Force Traffic to Non-mobile Site to Receive Correct Commissions
    All,
    I've come to realize over the past year or so just how much of a sales hit I am taking because certain advertisers are not tracking affiliate sales through their mobile sites. It even appears certain affiliate networks handle mobile traffic and redirects better than others. I would not be surprised if I am at a 33%+ loss on sales because of this with certain LinkShare advertisers.

How can I take back the sales that are rightfully mine because advertisers redirect referrals to a mobile site where tracking doesn't exist, or does not work. I am wondering how others might be handling this issue. I am tired of giving free revenue away.
    Last edited by jtoddv; October 20th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You have to talk to the merchant to get them to insure mobile sales tracking is integrated and tested.

Chuck in theory, that would be nice. But, when we are talking about some of the US's largest retailers, that is definitely a shot in the dark. Frankly, I am not sure too many affiliates are even aware of the losses they are accumulating because of the lack of mobile website affiliate tracking.

I started a test after I posted. I am forcing my traffic to the full desktop site at the one retailer in question. It could backfire on me for one reason or another, but should know the results tomorrow.

So you don't bother to contact the merchant to discuss?

Chuck,
    I will send a message. Probably, a message that goes unanswered just like about every other email that is sent to LinkShare advertisers and personnel. Unless you are a platinum publisher, you aren't worth the time.

Besides that, do I really think the change will be made before this holiday season? If the change is not already in the works, it will not be happening any time soon. Typically these major retailers update their sites once a year. And when Nov 1st rolls around, everything code related gets locked down until late 1st qtr next year at the very earliest.

I get 100+ emails a day and do my best to read them and answer the ones asking. I get a few calls a week and answer those first.

Does anyone in this business bother to pick up a phone and call.

I thought what you said was a good idea Chuck. So I tried calling 2 of the toughest merchants to get in.. Crutchfield and Newegg.. they took down my info and will get back to me. Quite discouraging.. but I can see the problem from both sides.

8. Thanks From:

Thought I had responded earlier... guess not. Yes, thanks for the suggestion Chuck. I may try that.

Majestique, ever hear back from either advertiser you tried to contact?

Quote Originally Posted by jtoddv View Post
    Chuck in theory, that would be nice. But, when we are talking about some of the US's largest retailers, that is definitely a shot in the dark. Frankly, I am not sure too many affiliates are even aware of the losses they are accumulating because of the lack of mobile website affiliate tracking.

I started a test after I posted. I am forcing my traffic to the full desktop site at the one retailer in question. It could backfire on me for one reason or another, but should know the results tomorrow.
    I have this issue as well and have not had any luck with the merchant making the required changes.

How were you able to run this test when the merchant's site makes the final determination as to where to run the traffic (mobile or desktop)?

How did it turn out?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread