Considering Bodybuilding.com Affiliate Program ? You may want to check this first
    I am dedicating this post for review my experience with Body Building Affiliate Program. I have been an affiliate with this company for over 6 months (before and after they moved IR), we have made over 120 sales ( the one that were tracked, taking into considering many were missing ) only in last 3 months.

Before I continue my review, I will share a little bit about our website. Our website is a loyalty program for online shoppers that offer rebate and coupons for users.

Over the last 3 months, I have been trying to reach the affiliate manager of Body Building program because we receiving a higher amount of ticket for missing transaction from Body Building in a month than we had from other stores combined in a year.

Unfortunately, I had no luck reaching them out, my VA was able finally to reach them out last week, I am sharing the response of Body Building Affiliate Manager email as it is :

> Our affiliate program is allocated on a first touch attribution logic.
    Meaning if someone comes into our site from Google and then before they purchase they find a site like yours our internal database will see that they came originally from Google, not through the affiliate. The affiliate did not bring the customer to our site, the customer was already looking for our site and had intent to purchase. That is what happened with the missing transactions that you are looking for.

I have looked more into your issue and based on our allocation model we have come to the realization that you are providing no value to us. We value the affiliate channel as an acquisition channel and you have sent us literally 0 new customers and that is because of your business model.
    That has lead us to our decision to remove you from our affiliate team.

Best,

Duskin Terteling
    I would like to highlight here Body Building Affiliate Program is pay per sale that offer 5% for returned customers and 15% for new customers.

Over our affiliation period we were approved by their affiliate manager twice on 2 networks, they never bothered to check if we can help them increase their sales or how can they optimize our channel, since they offer 2 level of commission, we consider by default the lower rate (on all sales).

Since their rates is 5%, we didn't bother promote them by email, nor by featuring their deals on our home page (their competitor offer better rates), all of our payments over the last 3 months have been delayed as Body Building Program was not paying the commission on time.

Clearly from the email their affiliate manager doesn't understand what coupons or rewards are being used for or how if affect sales, and I can care less.

I am offended by Body Building affiliate manager respond, they putting us in inappropriate situation with our users who used our website and expected to receive a rebate for these sales, these users may or may not made the purchase based on the rebate we promised them in return. Yet, I am really glad I didn't promote their program further. We are having enough damage to our reputation by their failure to comply with their own Term of Service as it is. Users are emailing us about these transactions with anger as from user point of view, we failed to pay the rebate for these sales.

So to sum up, here is my honest review of their program :

Body Building Affiliate Program = Delayed Commission, Missing Transactions, and Bad Communication

An honest review. Unfortunately, I can see both sides. It could have been handled better though.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

3. Thanks From:

Google search is a FIRST touch.. are you kidding me..???

Body Building aside (which I'm unfamiliar with), let's see if I read this correctly. A reader finds a store through google, then keeps looking.. then they find MY site which presents the product/store in a positive way.. click on MY link.. and there no sale?

I wonder how many of their existing affiliates even know this..?

This quote jumps out at me:
    the customer was already looking for our site and had intent to purchase
    I would like to see proof of that! This comment assumed affiliates add no value, which is ironic as we are usually considered closers...

5. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I wonder how many of their existing affiliates even know this..?
    They'll know now. I agree that a loyalty site is is different if the member has to login. Bet they didn't do this to Fatwallet!

7. Thanks From:

I agree that Body Builing is clearly a sleazy affiliate program. Consumers should know what this company is like as well.

1. They clearly provide no customer service. If you have to chase a company more than twice, that speaks volumes.

2. It's a commonly known fact that consumers usually purchase after seeing the company's name/ad/whatever min. 7 times unless it's an impulse buy.

One Man having a site out there promoting BB clearly pushed the consumers to purchase.

3. BB has no idea what's in the consumer's mind. If I were a consumer & I had to choose between 2 different sites & one gave me a coupon & one didn't, it's a no brainer which one I'd pick. Who doesn't want a discount or some kind of incentive to order???

As Teezone said, where's the proof that all of the leads first searched Google.

4. When they saw how many sales OneGoodMan made for them (this part about how many this equates to isn't clear to me) they refused to pay them. So he just got ripped off.

Another issue I have with not just merchants, but even other types of companies that take on agents.

They treat the agents/affiliates like crap if they aren't bringing in tons of bucks.

It's only logical that if an affiliate starts to see sales they may start to take the association more seriously & put more effort into it.

So what if he's a small affiliate now. Who knows what effort he could put into it next week.

5. If BB ONLY wanted new customers, then why does it state they will pay for returning customers?

I'm still unclear if all the traffic One Man sent them was return traffic.

It's also common sense that sometimes a customer will forget about a company & then when they are reminded of them they will purchase again.

Is this the Body Building who was on Shark Tank?

I'm still on last season, but I think that's them. I just saw that episode over the weekend.

I could be wrong.

Nothing irks me more than merchants who treat their affiliates like crap. How many actually respect their affiliates? What like 5-10%?

From my own experience I've had several that didn't care at all & given the amount of merchants who don't even approve or decline my client's signups & months have gone by, that's a pretty clear indication there's no respect there.

CJ's excuse is that the merchant is busy LOL

My response is, if they are THAT busy & they clearly don't have an affiliate manager, they shouldn't be running an affiliate program in the first place.

It's a marketing investment that should be taken seriously.

Now if we are talking about sleazy affiliates that's a different story, but I'm not like that.

End of rant

Isn't there a forum on here just to out bad merchants?

Michelle

9. Thanks From:

The affiliate did not bring the customer to our site, the customer was already looking for our site and had intent to purchase.
    .... and then they left your site and didn't purchase. So who actually drove the purchase? The affiliate.

I reached out the this new aff manager last month, and as a result I was also removed from the program in his reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey View Post
    .... and then they left your site and didn't purchase. So who actually drove the purchase? The affiliate.

I reached out the this new aff manager last month, and as a result I was also removed from the program in his reply.
    Maybe it is new strategy any affiliate dare to reach to their affiliate manager get removed as a punishment lol

Moved to Unethical Merchant forum.. until proven otherwise.

13. Thanks From:

I was a bodybuilding affiliate on CJ, and since switching to Impact Radius I swear reporting has dropped significantly. According to their metrics, I am converting 55% less with Impact Radius.

As for the reporting itself... Clicks are 'real-time', but sales are released in batches at random times on random days. So you may not get your next update until 5 days after the first sale. Its no way to run a business.

Very much ready to consider promoting other venders.
    Last edited by dedicatedd; October 28th, 2013 at 08:26 PM.

Was also a CJ affiliate, and switched to Impact Radius. Sales basically went to a net 0, while I was doing rather well on CJ.

NO reporting (even clicks I tried myself, on different computers, different IP's). They're skimming and banking hard from not paying out affiliates.

Just one big middle finger to bb.com affiliates.

I was having great sales with Commission Junction, since the switch to Impact Radius iv seen huge drop in earnings. I have 3 personal friends plus my brother who used my link via my site nothing was recorded.. Needless to say I stopped promoting them I kinda wanted to try out tigerfitness but I have other projects.

It is common practice for affiliate terms to state the FIRST approach rule. It also works in your favor too. If someone visits their site from your site and don't buy, then 5 days later they google it and purchase, you get the commission.

However, that being said, that affiliate manager needs to be fired. That is no way to treat an affiliate that has generated over 125 sales in the past (or any affiliate for that matter). At the most he should have worked with you to help you improve over the next few months.

Affiliates are the core of our business and we treat them as owners of the company. That affiliate manager is making a bad name for the good affiliate managers. I would like to chat with him on the phone for 10 minutes lol.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozta com View Post
    It is common practice for affiliate terms to state the FIRST approach rule.
    More UNcommon than the norm...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I just logged into bodybuilding.com's impact radius to clear out my balance and I noticed that it now says its paying out on the last click. Now I have stopped promoting them awhile back but just thought you guys should know, maybe they are better now.

Crediting Policy Last Click
    Click Referral Period Visitor must purchase within 9 days of referral
    Action Locking All actions happening in a given month are locked 15 days after the end of the month

NEVERMIND!! On the same day that I noticed that they changed the crediting Policy to Last Click they have NOW announced AGAIN that they are moving back to the First Click Crediting Policy....

Last Click will be replaced by a new insertion order on May 1, 2014.

Bodybuilding.com is an awesome website but unfortunately the affiliate program isn't. Granted if you promote you'll get some sales but nothing like it was before.

Ill stop bumping this thread.
    Cheers

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread