The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Smile Google keyword Encryption
    I just got from the SAS TT and while there I asked a few people what they thought about google encrypting all their keywords so you can't tell which keywords brought a visitor to your site. I am really not as informed as most in our business, I should read more. BUt I was surprised that people were telling me they didn't know about it. Especially since google started a test of 20% of the queries in April (I think when I first noticed it)

Anyway I'l start the post here where I think more people read and you can move it to the SEO section to discuss this topic in depth. Assuming it hasn't been thoughly discussed yet. I told you I should keep up to date more so I don't know ;-)
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Big discussion at Pubcon this week too. Word was that keywords are dead with search and to focus on content and authorship. Write for the reader and stay away from bogus testimonials.

3. Thanks From:

from what i heard...if someone is signed into google at the time of a search query, the keyword that they used will not show up in the site owners google analytics.

I attended TT and I am not surprised to hear that people weren't complaining about it. Over 80% of the crowd were bloggers and their focus is different.

Personally, I think it sucks, but what can we do about it?

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaves1 View Post
    ......Personally, I think it sucks, but what can we do about it?
    Chuck said it best: "...focus on content and authorship. Write for the reader and stay away from bogus testimonials."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:

Focusing on content and authorship is an overall strategy that has nothing to do with Google's decision to hide keyword information.

Keyword information is still provided by Yahoo and Bing. Keyword information will always be available to the search engines. It is their decision to hide it that is frustrating. And I believe that keywords will always count for something whether they are hard keywords or soft keywords. Now we are seeing more relevance placed on the entire sentence, paragraph and page, site more than it has been in the past. The information is still important to webmasters.
    Last edited by bluewaves1; October 28th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.

10. Thanks From:

The effort on Google's part is to force more activity into the Adwords arena. Google does track the keywords and makes that info available (in a generalized way) in the Adwords keyword tools. Where they don't want keyword data used is in the "creation/mutilation" of content. They also feel the push on authorship helps to take anonymity off the table and cuts down on the crap that's long been published (and spread) under the "Anonymous" byline. That said, Google doesn't reward for any specific activity... they just sometimes don't penalize as heavily. I also thought folks would have realized long ago that Google keeps "histories" of websites, design entities, webmasters, bloggers, forum posters, etc., and weights those elements in particular ways that also influence the SERPs.

So many possibilities, so little real information. But I have seen Google connect the dots and correctly tie a "user" today to an abuser blocked several years ago. I've seen it more than a few times. I don't see them having any problem with scaling that capability to encompass everything in their data banks. Isn't that what they're doing when they display your headshot next to one of your url's in the SERPs? From that perspective, your "name" might be the best keyword string you have to work with... let's hope you haven't "keyword stuffed" it... or done anything in a similar vein with it.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    This chart says it all.
    Not Provided Count - Charting the rise of (not provided) in Google Analytics

We have been seeing it on our site too but natural search is holding steady

13. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Chuck said it best: "...focus on content and authorship. Write for the reader and stay away from bogus testimonials."
    Bill, I agree with what you and Chuck said, but analyzing keywords helps webmasters understand what to write about. Would you rather have content in your site about a part of your niche that has 30 searches a month or 30,000?

Keyword research helps webmasters understand the reader better and what they want to read about.

To me, it looks like Google realized that most webmasters would actually PAY for this information, if it was unavailable for free. So they are stockpiling the data until they figure out a way of monetizing it. (My conspiracy theory.)
    Michael Abramsky :usaflag:
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net"]CreditFirm.Net[/URL]
    Email: [email]Affiliate@CreditFirm.net[/email] | Phone: 800-750-1416 x 901 | [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net/affiliates"]Affiliate Program Info[/URL]

Not a conspiracy theory at all (IMHO) but part of their business strategy. They seem to be keeping their data-mine to themselves, as they should. It is theirs.

Would you rather have content in your site about a part of your niche that has 30 searches a month or 30,000?
    Well, obviously the answer "should" be the 30,000 - but maybe not. Why not? All the big boys are after those terms, which means incredible competition. I've been a long-time believer in niche and "long tail." I can see what is "most popular" on my site(s) by looking at the internal traffic. Where are people going - where are they staying. And, (maybe also important) to which pages are they linking from their own sites, blogs or Facebook pages. Goog's keywords don't help with that.

We actually have several examples about how this works for us but they can make great topics for some blog post(s). Maybe we'll share there.
    Last edited by Bill; October 30th, 2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Removed an example...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

We haven't noticed it so much on our sites, but it feels like it is looming - we are considering switching over to Bing..anyone have any experience with them?

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by mollsdolls View Post
    We haven't noticed it so much on our sites, but it feels like it is looming - we are considering switching over to Bing..anyone have any experience with them?
    Bing has webmaster tools similar to the Goog. Don't switch -- work with both. At least, give Bing data on your sites.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread