Finding that starting point..
    I am confused and torn in two different ways. Idk whether to make a landing page and get people to opt in for a free report or just start an affiliate blog and promote products. Can someone help lol.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Do both, why limit yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Do both, why limit yourself?
    I guess I am not sure which order to carry out, or would they both benefit from eachother? I guess I am looking for a guide or someone to lay out everything and explain into great detail on how to get started.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Start an affiliate blog and promote products. On that blog offer readers to opt in for a free report. On that opt-in report also include promotions with affiliate links. Rinse and repeat.

Now get started and quit just thinking about it. Even if you decide to scrap your first attempt and start over you will learn valuable things.

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Start an affiliate blog and promote products. On that blog offer readers to opt in for a free report. On that opt-in report also include promotions with affiliate links. Rinse and repeat.

Now get started and quit just thinking about it. Even if you decide to scrap your first attempt and start over you will learn valuable things.
    Right but it's like, what in the world do I promote lol.

Forget the landing pages and opt-in crap - unless you have something really unique or profound to offer.

Promote something YOU like - something in which you have an interest. The write about it to share your thoughts and experiences with other folks.

• What is the last thing you bought online?
    • What did you do with it?
    • Was it a good choice? Why or why not?
    • How well did you like the site from which you made the purchase?
    • Was the site easy to use or were there any problems or ambiguities?
    • Would you buy from that merchant again? Why or why not?

There ya go. In the world of education we call those questions "story starters." Now get started.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Forget the landing pages and opt-in crap - unless you have something really unique or profound to offer.

Promote something YOU like - something in which you have an interest. The write about it to share your thoughts and experiences with other folks.

• What is the last thing you bought online?
    • What did you do with it?
    • Was it a good choice? Why or why not?
    • How well did you like the site from which you made the purchase?
    • Was the site easy to use or were there any problems or ambiguities?
    • Would you buy from that merchant again? Why or why not?

There ya go. In the world of education we call those questions "story starters." Now get started.
    Well you always hear people say "that niche is saturated" and I feel like a lot of my interests are big niches like computers that would be hard to make any type of income I would think.

I also think it's hard to find the affiliate. Amazon has terribly low commission rates lol, and thats where I buy most of my stuff.

In regards to your saturated niche problem, you can always find a unique subset of a larger niche. I mean, "computers" is pretty broad...

And like Chuck said above, even if your first attempts don't do so well, you'll learn A LOT just by going through the process. I feel like at this point you're just looking for excuses to not start.

Think of it this way, there is no better way to learn than to actually experience it yourself. So go try something, learn from it, try again. Just keep repeating the process until it works. There is no substitute for hard work

11. Thanks From:

Yup, forget the opt-in stuff, no longevity in that. Pick a topic you are interested in that also has revenue potential. Focusing on something that is up-and-coming might be a good idea. So, you could try being the "Authority" on an emerging trend that is newish. The general idea would be to get in at an early stage.

An overly simple example.... Say that you knew, a couple of years ago that Microsoft was about to come out with a video game console add-on called "kinect" which allowed motion capture interaction with a video game. You might start to blog about it before it was released, research it, discuss the possibilities, link to the relevant news sources etc.

You might pick a generic blog title like, "motion capture video games", (ok bad example, but the point is, when Playstation came out with the "move" controller, you would have had a generic blog that could talk about both.)

You would try to get interviewed by the media and comment on the new technology. You would promote yourself as an "expert" in the field of motion capture gaming. You would try to get in on the beta and be the first to "unbox", etc. you would have community comments and try to help others.

Don't think like you are doing affiliate marketing, think like you are building a business. This isn't a get rich scheme, it takes a heck of a lot of time, energy and learning and thinking.

If you are going to expend so much energy on a blog, make sure it is set to grow and will not die off quickly. (e.g. don't have too narrow of a niche, but don't go too broad. Video Games is too broad. Japanese Anime Video Game Titles is better, Japanese Anime Video Games By XYZ Video Game Company is too narrow)

13. Thanks From:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread