How do you handle merchant migrations between networks?
    When a merchant changes networks, how does that impact your average affiliate? I imagine there are a fair number of affiliates out there that are placing static links on their pages. If a merchant moves from cj to linkshare, you are left manually changing a significant number of links I would imagine. Bigger affiliates, ourselves included handle these migrations dynamically through databases, but it got me thinking that there might be a need for a tool that automatically handles merchant migrations for you. Just drop your affiliate links on your page like you do now, and we can reroute the clicks IF and only if a merchant changes networks which would otherwise invalidate your links.

Is this something people would find useful?

I bring this up because shoebuy.com moved from cj to ls today, and i'm sure there are affiliates out there with dead affiliate links now.

nice idea, but I'm wondering if affiliates should eventually do some cleanup anyway. like what if the merchant moves again in 6-12 months . . .

3. Thanks From:

Good idea for some. I know I've got a couple of OLD sites with old links - that I probably can't even find these days. But if I can't find them I wouldn't be able to install Prosperent code either.

Otherwise, affiliates using PopShops, GoldenCAN or Sellfire (or others) will have dead links for a couple of days - until those services update their feeds.
    Last edited by Bill; November 1st, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Shortened a verbose response.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

At the moment - I think "time" is the important issue. 7 days is not really enough, given that there is the consideration of the affiliate having to set up with the new network, familiarizing themselves with the new feed, perhaps redesigning templates to accommodate the lack of available banners sizes, loss of some text links, loss of deeplinking (although shoebuy has reversed that decision, thankyou) It was much easier when shoes.com left GAN - more notice was definitely better.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Yep - amount of time is important. Seven days notice is cutting it close. Especially when the AM is non-responsive.

If we catch the move with enough time we configure the new network feed and upload along side the existing network. Then on the last day for the old network we simply turn off the old feed.

For text links and banners it's simple enough - we only have to change out a handful or two of URLs in ONE location as we host all banners / contextual links on our ad server.

If, however, the merchant does NOT provide enough notice (specifically with a large, complicated feed) we just turn off the feed on the old network and offer visitors a competitor. Best Buy is the perfect example...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

The notice is really a big killer, I agree. I don't see that changing unfortunately. Timing is another issue. Merchants moving networks in the middle of a busy shopping season is terrible. We had several Halloween merchants pull that last year right in the middle of October. YOu almost have to wonder if it is partly a ploy to pay less in affiliate commissions since they know they will be killing all of those affiliate links.

Outsourced Program Manager gunner101's Avatar
    A tool like that would definitely help affiliates. I believe that changing networks is not a good idea. Especially if you are moving from one top network to another. If there is an economic reason such as lower fees then you should first try to renegotiate with your current network before making a move. Typically when merchants change networks (CJ to Linkshare or vice versa) we see a dip in sales for the merchant and a need to build back up to existing sales levels. Most of the top performing affiliates are in both networks but as stated above will need to replace links. We suggest that if a merchant is looking to boost sales then add a second network and look for new affiliates.

9. Thanks From:

Merchant Migration
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Good idea for some. I know I've got a couple of OLD sites with old links - that I probably can't even find these days. But if I can't find them I wouldn't be able to install Prosperent code either.

Otherwise, affiliates using PopShops, GoldenCAN or Sellfire (or others) will have dead links for a couple of days - until those services update their feeds.
    Unfortunately, you better check PopShops, I do not believe that they will
    automatically solve the problem for you....Some merchants are already members of more than one network ! And YES, I would certrainly be interested in such a tool !
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; November 4th, 2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: removed manual signature

11. Thanks From:

What we will likely do is add this as an option you can turn on and off in our javascript. You would basically just add our javascript to your site, and we would automatically reroute any affiliate links that need rerouting without you having to think about it or configure anything. As with all of our tools, we would also offer an api version (pass it a url and it gives you the new affiliate url). I appreciate the feedback on this one. It seems like a problem that isn't going away anytime soon, and I hate seeing affiliates lose money because they don't have time to stay on top of these migrations. The shoebuy thread on this forum illustrates that point perfectly.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread