How Long Does It Take for Affiliate Marketing to Show Results?
    Hi,

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know, how long does it take for an affiliate program to show results. Suppose, I setup a program on affiliate network such as SAS or CJ. Also consider that I have an eCommerce store and our products are in high demand.

Could you please give a time estimation based on your experience. Time its takes to setup program and to start selling products.

** I am new here.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If you allow at least one affiliate to do paid search it should be less than a week. Otherwise about two weeks.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Chuck.

Paid search. Do you mean, Should I allow specific affiliates to bid on my keywords ?

BTW, are you admin of this forum ?

Paid search. Do you mean, Should I allow specific affiliates to bid on my keywords ?
    I mean if you allow it, that's your decision.

Yes I am the Admin of this forum.

Admin. Cool !

I hope you don't ban a newbie like me for asking very basic questions. :|

As I can see you've been working in affiliate marketing for a long time, here's only one question I just wanna ask - What do you think about the future of affiliate marketing ? It shares a lowly position in the marketing efforts, if we compare it to other methods of marketing, SEM, PPC, SEO etc. Did you see any significant growth in the last few years ?

We don't ban for asking questions just spamming.

What do you think about the future of affiliate marketing ? It shares a lowly position in the marketing efforts, if we compare it to other methods of marketing, SEM, PPC, SEO etc.
    Don't know where you get your information. Did 47% of the online sales for a client in October, $307k. To many people don't have a clue about affiliate marketing and expect the world of it. 9 out of 10 affiliate programs fail or fail to do more than a few percent of sales. Most because they had no reason to launch on in the first place, didn't have their other online marketing nailed down and didn't work on their conversion.

8. Thanks From:

47% of the online sales. Sounds unbelievable ! Now I really think that I should invest my time in learning affiliate management. Thanks Chuck for your reply.

Been working with the merchant since January 2011. We have programs on CJ and AvantLink, there are two of us working on strategy and promotions. I have two assistants working for me on this so there is a lot of energy put into this merchant.

How Long Does It Take for Affiliate Marketing to Show Results?
    After setting up affiliate program, how long does it take to generate your first sale/lead ?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile
    I could have sworn I saw a thread on this very question yesterday with a bunch of answers already posted, but I may be losing my marbles. It is Q4 after all.

But here's my two cents. How soon you see sales from your affiliate program post-launch, really varies by merchant/market/manager, and there are a lot of factors to consider when making these kinds of predictions. First of all it's not magic it's marketing and sales as result of marketing is someting that takes time to build. I've seen programs take off in the first few weeks and I've seen some that take longer... a few months to really gain traction.

Amongst many considerations, is seasonality. So for example a program launching in Q4 may take longer to produce results in that most affiliates have already locked in to who they plan to promote for rest of the year and won't be looking for new partnerships until the new year. A program launching in January with it's peak season within the next 3 months may see sales right away depending on what affiliates have been signed on to promote the brand to who and where.

Another thing to think about: How do you feel about coupon affiliates? Are you working with them? If so, you may see sales sooner but are you willing to pay commissions on those kinds of sales? Some merchants are some are not. Some would acknowledge those as sales, some would say "we had those sales already." If you mean anything that tracks, working with coupon sites could mean sales begin to appear in affiliate reporting nearly immediately. If you either don't work with those affiliates or don't consider their sales to be of value then you may need to wait longer to see results.

Do you have restrictions in place in that affiliates can only promote you in specific locations? How tight are your restrictions around specific traffic sources? Are you manually approving affiliates with tight rules around who can and can't be approved, or auto approving everyone with little restriction?

Then, what is your regular on-site conversion like? Are you making sales without affiliates? What are your program objectives? If you're not already generating sales before you add affiliates to your marketing mix, there may be a problem with your site's ability to convert. IN that case you won't see sales from affiliates, for quite some time likely, no matter how much traffic you throw at the site.

As Chuck said in the thread I could swear I read yesterday, if you can get one good PPC affiliate to get campaigns up and running right away you could see sales quite quickly following. But are you working with PPC affiliates? Are they allowed to bid on your TM's or not? The key is to get them on board and focused on developing/launching/running/managing campaigns for your brand. What are you doing to motivate them to do that for you?

Why should they put the time/effort in for your brand vs. competitors? Are you paying more? Does your site convert at a higher rate? Are you more pleasant to work with? Do you provide a better all around experience? Better tools? Where do you sit amongst competition in the affiliate space?

Once a program launches, promotion of a program's existence is the first thing that needs to happen so that your program is seen/heard of in key affiliate markets. So advertising is a big part of that. Are you doing it? Are you advertising in the right places? This is a part of your awareness/recruitment phase. Activation comes after that - getting affiliates to actually get active in that they are posting your links, developing content around your products/brand, promoting you actively in various channels etc. can take time.

At the end of the day if you aren't paying affiliates up front to get your links up they work on their own time (and even then sometimes). I never promise clients instant results - it's just not feasible as there are too many moving parts and factors to consider but we can make educated guesses (or what we marketing/sales folks call forecasting), if we have answers to all of the above.

Bottom line is, invest in the right people to run your program and manage the program well, working with your affiliates, rather than against them, and results should come if you have a product/service that caters to a legitimate market where there is legitimate demand. Make sure your site converts and does what it is supposed to once pre-qualified traffic hits it and you'll see results sooner.

At the end of the day, results really do vary by program, product, market and time of year when you launch amongst other things.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

13. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    after much ado, I've found the original thread from the other day. I'm not crazy after all!

Click here to view it. I'm sure mods will merge the two when they have time.

ishank, so you want a guaranteed rate of return before you launch an affiliate program?

I have a few questions for you:
    • What are the gross sales per month that you are currently doing through your site?
      What is your sites conversion rate?
      What is your average order value?

16. Thanks From:

3-6 months.

There are no guarantees.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

About duplicate thread- My new question was a little different. I was interested in knowing time and stats. I should have chosen a different title instead of the old one. I am sorry for inconvenience caused to forum members.

e-Gazor - Thanks for the detailed comment.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread