ABW Ambassador
    Angry Issues having to use Channels in LinkShare
    Admin Note: Conversation originally started from this thread and Channel posts were move here.

To be fair, shoebuy did send out an email on Oct 24 regarding the program migration. I replied to the email asking for some questions and got response from their affiliate manager right away. Perhaps you guys missed the notification email?

Although, I agree that it makes me scratch my head that why there are so many merchants migrate to LS lately. Must be some kind of killer deals going on...

LS interface is painful to deal with, especially their confusing "Marketing Channels" setting. Some merchants I was with CJ before declined my application because I forgot to assign the "right channel(website)" when applied. I had to explain to the merchants every time to get back to their program.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; November 6th, 2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Update

2. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post

LS interface is painful to deal with, especially their confusing "Marketing Channels" setting.
    I get confused with the marketing channels.
    Do we basically have to have a channel for each website?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Yes and that is the reason we don't like to deal with Linkshare.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

I have one channel that was created when I created the account years ago. I use it for all my sites and use "&u1=" to identify the site. It has never been an issue.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I have one channel that was created when I created the account years ago. I use it for all my sites and use "&u1=" to identify the site. It has never been an issue.
    But how do you add all your sites to that one channel? Merchants only see the one site/one channel when you apply to their program. That cause the problem.

I did use "&u1=" to track my sales from other sites by using the only one channel. Technically it is against LS's rule which require you assign one channel for each sites you own( I have confirmed with LS about this a few years ago when I was confused about the "Channels").

Suppose you are applying a program for "sports" and your default channel/site is "baby clothing". more than likely the "sports" merchant will decline your application if you don't show them you have another channel/site for "sports".

7. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    I get confused with the marketing channels.
    Yes. See my post above.

But how do you add all your sites to that one channel? Merchants only see the one site/one channel when you apply to their program. That cause the problem.

I did use "&u1=" to track my sales from other sites by using the only one channel. Technically it is against LS's rule which require you assign one channel for each sites you own( I have confirmed with LS about this a few years ago when I was confused about the "Channels").

Suppose you are applying a program for "sports" and your default channel/site is "baby clothing". more than likely the "sports" merchant will decline your application if you don't show them you have another channel/site for "sports".
    That is what I been doing, never been question when I talked with LS support or merchants, my original site was a mall type site from many years ago that covered almost everything. The site is still live but mostly acts as a company site now but does have some links still on it. Up to now it never been an issue.

Added note: I not even sure how the whole Channel think works on LS, I not a big LS affiliate but I started working again with one merchant the last 6 months who I have sent a lot of sales the last to in the 3 months even thought I not comfortable using LS
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    my original site was a mall type site from many years ago that covered almost everything. The site is still live but mostly acts as a company site now but does have some links still on it.
    Yeah, I can get by for using one "cover all" site channel most of the times. But for some specific niche merchants, they will declined the application unless I show them my other niche sites/channels.

Even though I got approved by the niche merchants, another problem comes with it is when I try to use a third party datafeed tool such as popshops since they only allow one LS PID per account. Keep in mind that each channel has its own PID, there is no way to add all the "channels" PIDs onto popshops.

You see the real problem with the multiple channels?

(Note: I hope I didn't derail the OP's thread too much)

Even though I got approved by the niche merchants, another problem comes with it is when I try to use a third party datafeed tool such as popshops since they only allow one LS PID per account. Keep in mind that each channel has its own PID, there is no way to add all the "channels" PIDs onto popshops.
    When it comes to tracking Popshop sales I use the "Tracking with Sub-Accounts" under preferences to identify the site where the sale was made.

Also I just went a read all the information on Linkshare about channels and from what I have read and my understanding of it is that using a separate channel for each site is a option to use if you wish but is not a requirement.

12. Thanks From:

I got different info from LS - got a phone call and got told each website needs a different channel or cause for termination - guess it's who you talk to...

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I got different info from LS - got a phone call and got told each website needs a different channel or cause for termination - guess it's who you talk to...
    So once you create a new channel do you need to reapply to each merchant that you want to promote on that site??

So most merchants that I work with give me much better deals then the base offer, so in that case the merchant would have to make me a better offer for each site?? sounds like a lot of extra work for all.

I think I wait until I hear something different from them since it never came up and I do not see anywhere on their site saying that you need to do this. The only thing I read is that it help with tracking a sale to a site and it helps to get approved by some merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    That's what I got from LS as well when I asked about the channels.

ABW Ambassador
    When it comes to tracking Popshop sales I use the "Tracking with Sub-Accounts" under preferences to identify the site where the sale was made.
    I'm not talking about tracking where the sales come from. I'm talking about you can only enter one LS PID onto your popshops account.

Say Merchant A approve you for Channel/Site 1 with PID 1234567.
    Merchant B approve you for Channel/Site 2 with PID 7654321

Now you want to promote both Merchant A and B thru popshops. What PID are you going to add to your popshops account?

If you add 1234567, you are not able to promote merchant B via popshops. If you add 7654321, you are not able to promote merchant A via popshops.

You are lucky that some merchants approve you by your "cover all" site. But not every merchant do the same. Like I said, some specific niche merchants don't like "shopping directory" type of cover all site. With other networks such as CJ or SAS, you can add as many sites as you want under one account, even though you are using the same CJ PID for different sites, they will get tracked. But this don't work with LS channels. If you think you can use Channel 1 PID for all other channels/Sites, you probably want to think twice.

So once you create a new channel do you need to reapply to each merchant that you want to promote on that site??
    Yes. You need to reapply. The funny thing is, I have merchants approved me on Channel 1 when I had only one channel set up but promote thru several other sites using the Channel 1 ID. Later when I add a new channel with one of the same sites I was promoting them thru channel 1 ID, they declined my application. I guess not only affiliates are confused with the "channels", so do the merchants.
    Last edited by mayfly; November 5th, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

17. Thanks From:

I'm not talking about tracking where the sales come from. I'm talking about you can only enter one LS PID onto your popshops account.

Say Merchant A approve you for Channel/Site 1 with PID 1234567.
    Merchant B approve you for Channel/Site 2 with PID 7654321

Now you want to promote both Merchant A and B thru popshops. What PID are you going to add to your popshops account?

If you add 1234567, you are not able to promote merchant B via popshops. If you add 7654321, you are not able to promote merchant A via popshops.
    Ok, now I understand the issue, yes that is a hard one... Maybe we should create a new thread and ask the Linkshare rep to answer some of these questions on this topic. I now glade that I promote very few merchants on LS and if Channel are needed I will be only be working with one!!

So I decided to go into linkshare and setup another channel as a test, one of the question was:

Specify the balance amount you would like to trigger your monthly payment
    So does that mean you get paid by a separate cheque for each Channel??

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    So does that mean you get paid by a separate cheque for each Channel??
    Yep, unfortunately...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

21. Thanks From:
    kse

Now that a real pain in the butt, I currently get 2 as it is (One US & one Canadian) and my bank has so many issues with their direct deposit I had to convert back to cheque. Yet another reason not to use LinkShare!!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Maybe we should create a new thread and ask the Linkshare rep to answer some of these questions on this topic.
    Please do so and I will send a note to the LS moderator.

I hate to suggest we split this current thread but in this case would this be a possibility? Our could you copy the related post into a new thread?? not sure if the OP would mind or not since I gone way off topic in this one.

25. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    It will be great to split this thread to a new thread about LS Channels issue.

I remember I had raised this issue before on other threads, unfortunately it all fall on fall on deaf ears.

Most affiliates probably hasn't felt the pain because they either have very little merchants to work with in LS or they simply don't set up more than one channel even thought the are operating more than one sites under one channel.

The most painful experience with channels is that you have to re-apply the same merchants again and again when you setup a new channel and facing the problem that the same merchants approve you in one channel might decline you in another channel.

Another issue is the payment. If you have 10 channels, you will received 10 payment separately from each channels. Not only it is annoying to affiliates(think about getting a few bucks here and there and trying to match where they come from), I'm sure it also create a massive waste of LS accounting resource as well.

I've been with LS for a decade. In my opinion, this insane channel system is really up to no good.

27. Thanks From:

It did not think it was possible for my option of Linkshare to get any worse, I guess I was wrong again

They really should combine checks and document from which merchant.

By the way, some clothing merchants moving over from GAN actually pre-approved a large number of my sites in LS. But now I get maybe 9 or 10 duplicate emails with their news. (I'll fix that, eventually.)

30. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread