Affiliate Leaking Traffic
    I was going over our analytics with our webmaster today when I noticed that one of our affiliates was leaking traffic to us. It wasn't much but that's not the point.

I sent out an email to alert the affiliate to the leak. But now that I read it back, it lacks a certain professionalism and sounds a bit, for lack of a better word, "crappy".

I guess my question is 2 part.
    1. Is it appropriate to email affiliates and let them know about leaks.
    2. Is there a better way of communicating this in an email?

The email I sent is below, please be kind and edit at your discretion.

Hello XXXXXX,

I was going over a few things with our webmaster when I noticed that your site (affiliate url) was referring traffic directly to us without any tracking code on (leaking url) and (another leaking url).

I want to make sure that you get credit for every sale you refer to (our url) so you may want to update your links to include the Share A Sale tracking code.

Sincerely,

Michael Abramsky
    (Contact info...)
    Michael Abramsky :usaflag:
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net"]CreditFirm.Net[/URL]
    Email: [email]Affiliate@CreditFirm.net[/email] | Phone: 800-750-1416 x 901 | [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net/affiliates"]Affiliate Program Info[/URL]

2. Thanks From:
    JLH

>1. Is it appropriate to email affiliates and let them know about leaks.

As an affiliate, I'd see it as appropriate and very much appreciated.

In my early days, I made a similar mistake for several months and it cost me a lot. Yes, it was totally my responsibility, but I was disappointed to hear the merchant was aware of this and didn't say anything. Fortunately for me, the merchant had a back end tracking method and credited me for two months commissions anyway (with a one-time only warning).

2. Is there a better way of communicating this in an email?

I think it sounds fine.

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    It's actually very refreshing to see a merchant which cares sufficiently about affiliates to notify them they are missing out on commissions.

I'd have added an offer of assistance to help them set up the links correctly.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

5. Thanks From:

As an affiliate, I know I would appreciate receiving a heads-up email such as that.

As a merchant, I would send the same type of email if I discovered a similar situation with one of our affiliates.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I think it's great that you contacted the affiliate - Would appreciate any merchant who took the time.

Only thing I would have changed in your email is I wouldn't have called it a "leak" (negative connotation).

Kudos to you for taking the time to help your affiliate!
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

It happens to us all the time working with newbies, especially bloggers. We beat them until they learn the lesson that any links sent to our sites need to monetized. I want all that traffic to be tracked in my channel.

There is one huge affiliate, a deal site, that does this all the time. It's just carelessness. Then they wonder why sales don't track.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll go over our referral traffic once or twice a month to make sure that nothing is slipping through the cracks.
    Email: [email]Affiliate@CreditFirm.net[/email] | Phone: 800-750-1416 x 901 | [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net/affiliates"]Affiliate Program Info[/URL]

What a super star!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    What a super star!!!!
    Thank You! I'm very generous with other people's money.

Thank You! I'm very generous with other people's money.
    too funny!

Merchant
    I have had the similar situation the other day with one of my affiliates. I posted some comments from a thread in their site asking anyone with a small business to post about their company. I gave a coupon code and that is how I found the traffic "leak". I emailed the affiliate but no reply. Unfortunately and though even though I tried so hard for many months to get the affiliate to make a post about one of our items it still has not happened. They just applied and accepted the invite in SAS. We never even got one thank you email. I think it should be courteous that at least they say thanks for giving them notice.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread