weird sales trend
    yesterday (Saturday) I've had 9 sales in 24 hours for a certain merchant, but today (Sunday afternoon) I haven't had a single sale for the past 17 hours already. Traffic remained in the same volume. that's kinda weird statistically, isn't it? is it simply really bad luck? maybe there's a difference between Saturday's visitors and Sunday's visitors behavior? or could it be that the merchant is pulling off the tracking plug whenever I'm doing well enough? pretty frustrating.

btw, this forum used to be a bit more alive, I wonder where did everybody go?

Quote Originally Posted by paulwall View Post
    yesterday (Saturday) I've had 9 sales in 24 hours for a certain merchant, but today (Sunday afternoon) I haven't had a single sale for the past 17 hours already. Traffic remained in the same volume. that's kinda weird statistically, isn't it? is it simply really bad luck? maybe there's a difference between Saturday's visitors and Sunday's visitors behavior? or could it be that the merchant is pulling off the tracking plug whenever I'm doing well enough? pretty frustrating.

2 days worth of revenue is quite a small sample size. What's your 3 month daily sale average for the merchant.

Please provide a bit more info.
    Michael Abramsky :usaflag:
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net"]CreditFirm.Net[/URL]
    Email: [email]Affiliate@CreditFirm.net[/email] | Phone: 800-750-1416 x 901 | [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net/affiliates"]Affiliate Program Info[/URL]

I know it's a bit small, but I don't really have a 3 month daily average as I've started selling the product only a few weeks ago, and been re-optimizing every several days. I believe the last optimization I've made led me to yesterday's major increase, as the average daily sale for the last two weeks has been 3 sales.

I would give it a few more days. But you could always click through your own links and buy something to double check the integrity of the tracking code.
    Michael Abramsky :usaflag:
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net"]CreditFirm.Net[/URL]
    Email: [email]Affiliate@CreditFirm.net[/email] | Phone: 800-750-1416 x 901 | [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net/affiliates"]Affiliate Program Info[/URL]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Probably the same places you went off too. Google has been brutal on many affiliates and the tax nexus killed a bunch more. Some when to Affiliate Summit forum when it took off a few years ago.

6. Thanks From:

Umm... you've posted how many times since you've been a member..??

As Chuck said, google has changed the landscape of affiliate marketing with Panda, Penguin, etc,

It's also Sunday.. even affiliate marketers need a weekend!

8. Thanks From:

lol well my personal story is that I've used to be pretty successful for some period with PPC traffic around 2008-2009, but business started to decline and ended at some point, due to various factors including some adwords "slaps".

Meanwhile I've started attending school and had no time whatsoever for trying to get back on the wagon... a few years passed by, I got my diploma, started working in a "real world" job, and noticed that I'm working too long and hard for a salary that was nothing like what I've made in my prime in the affiliate marketing business... this unavoidable comparison led me to conclude that I should seriously reconsider getting back to internet marketing.

So right now I'm at this intersection where I need to decide how I continue from here, and I'm trying to give affiliate marketing another shot for the upcoming months, as it seems like the revenue potential is simply incomparable to a real life job, If only I can get it right...

I wonder if the changes you guys mention were that drastic that so many affiliate marketers gave up on it? is there some article that recaps the important changes from 2009 until now? I'm not familiar with all these google animals, but on the other hand I've never been a great SEO'er.

Well, well, well.. now this conversation has become more interesting! Welcome back

A lot has changed since they good ol' days.. PPC was never my specialty, but the broad landscape changed when google decided they wanted a piece of the affiliate marketing pie (google products is now the single largest affiliate). At the same time, spammers were getting the better of the search engine, so changes were made across the board - hence Panda, Penguin, etc.

They released algo updates that killed off a lot of small players - and not just AM-related. Some of those updates were good practice (in theory), but they were rolled out in such an aggressive manner, and with little or no documentation, that many sites didn't stand a chance. We all had to become SEO experts along the way, but for defensive reasons - you had to know why your site tanked in order to fix it.

I've seen sites in my niche quietly go away.. and frankly, I've considered closing up shop many times myself. But the business model still works - maybe not the same configuration as in the past, but there are still some opportunities. The problem now is time & money-based.. how many of us have endless resources to throw at new projects..? Everything takes longer now, thanks to google..

My main site took a tumble due to my own issues (see algo updates above) - problems have been long fixed, but google is very slow to return the traffic (every month brings back a little more). Happily there are new traffic opportunities via social, and had it not been for social efforts, I probably would have closed the sites.

The above is based on my own experience - I'm sure there are sites that were unaffected, but for every 100 "bad players" that google killed, I'm guessing 10% were good guys hit by collateral damage.

11. Thanks From:

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread