Thread: Finding Affiliates in ShareASale

Smile Finding Affiliates in ShareASale
    I see way too many posts from new merchants asking about how to find new affiliates in ShareASale. All they see from day one are coupon sites and they get frustrated.

Finding affiliates is not easy. It's not something you can set and forget. Affiliate marketing is about relationships. Managing a program is a full-time job. Devote time to learning more about how affiliates promote your products. Go to Affiliate Summit. Go to ShareASale ThinkTank. Meet other merchants. Meet affiliates. Get your hands dirty.

REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS & TIPS

1. Affiliate marketing is not a way to start your sales. After about 6 months, if you have a robust existing online business, the affiliate channel will supplement your existing sales by 10% - 40%. If you have no sales overall, your affiliate program will probably not help. Reality sucks.

2. Do not set your program to Auto Approve. The majority of them will never bring you new customers or profit. Look at the descriptions and try to figure out how they will promote you. If they are relevant to your category, niche or product, approve them.

3. Full affiliates have earned money with other merchants. Limited have not. Approve both only if you are comfortable with their sites and promotions. Remember, full affiliates are not always the best fit for you.

4. Dress up your program description. Sell the benefits of working with you, not trying to sell them your products. Affiliates are sales people not customers. See how your competitors present themselves in their descriptions.

5. Be competitive with commissions, cookies, banners, newsletters and deals. This helps the right type of affiliates choose to join your program.

6. Work on your site conversion. Always. It's your responsibility to make sure customers actually buy your product. Affiliates send clicks. You need to always work to improve conversion.

7. Do not set them up to fail. Reversal trends and percentages can be seen by all affiliates. If you have to reverse sales, tell them why and find a way to reduce reversals.

8. Featured Placement - Yes, a $300 ad for one month on a network category page will bring you new affiliates that are relevant to your program. It's not high volume but if you approve some good ones, the ROI will be there.

9. Test the affiliate invitations under Tools - Featured Programs. Starts At $200.00 per Two Weeks (Additionally $5 per qualifying affiliate. $5 is refunded for each qualified affiliate that joins program through invitation.)

10. Don't worry about the aquarium.

11. Recruit externally. Google your category. Look for relevant websites that are independently owned. Contact them through the contact us page.

12. Hire an affiliate manager that understands affiliate marketing.

Here are 4 excellent articles on this topic written by ShareASale. Ask them for help.

Affiliate Recruitment Strategies

Best Practices Series: Recruitment

Building Blocks for Program Optimization

Recruitment Promotional Ideas

ABW Friends, when you see merchants asking about recruitment on ShareASale, please point them to this thread.
    Last edited by Hectic GHC; November 12th, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

If you want tips on how to build a strong and successful affiliate program, read this blog post on Sugarrae.com

Tips for Successful Affiliate Program Management
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks, akagorilla!

I will show this to merchant to prove what Im saying. You make my day awesome.

4. Thanks From:

Greg makes everyone's day awesome

6. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Awesome Advice!!!
    Great post akagorilla!!!
    I'm new to SAS and I've been having some recruitment issues. Your advice is on point with some of the advice I've received so far!
    One thing I think you missed out is contacting the members of SAS Client Services or Merchant Development Team. I emailed them directly to nag them about a few things and they responded within a day and their advice was very relevant!
    They also encouraged me to get involved in the ABW forums!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by designedbym View Post
    Great post akagorilla!!!
    I'm new to SAS and I've been having some recruitment issues. Your advice is on point with some of the advice I've received so far!
    One thing I think you missed out is contacting the members of SAS Client Services or Merchant Development Team. I emailed them directly to nag them about a few things and they responded within a day and their advice was very relevant!
    They also encouraged me to get involved in the ABW forums!

Cheers!
    I did miss that. You are correct. But I talk to them everyday so it didn't cross my mind that merchants wouldn't do that first.
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Great advice Greg - pretty much spot on based on my experience. I'd add as well that other than coupon/deal and some affinity affiliates that come through the network, I find a lot of my productive affiliates then bring them TO the network. You'll find your best affiliates where your customers are. Find the pages out there with content on what you do, or that focus on things your shoppers are interested in, then build a relationship with them and bring them into your program.

Networks are a tool that connects and handles the tracking and payment of affiliates and aren't the only place you should be looking for affiliates if you're looking for long term healthy growth of your program.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Great advice Greg - pretty much spot on based on my experience. I'd add as well that other than coupon/deal and some affinity affiliates that come through the network, I find a lot of my productive affiliates then bring them TO the network. You'll find your best affiliates where your customers are. Find the pages out there with content on what you do, or that focus on things your shoppers are interested in, then build a relationship with them and bring them into your program.

Networks are a tool that connects and handles the tracking and payment of affiliates and aren't the only place you should be looking for affiliates if you're looking for long term healthy growth of your program.
    Did you read #11?
    Greg Hoffman

A year later and I'm still sending this to new merchants.
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    The advice still stands... it's great advice for new merchants or managers. Merchants considering rolling out an affiliate program need to play especially close attention to point number 1. Affiliate Marketing isn't the solution for a poorly performing or brand new ecommerce site that needs sales now. It can be a great solution for a mature ecommerce site that is converting well to drive more qualified traffic into the sales funnel, but will only reach it's full potential if the strategy is well conceived and well executed.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

13. Thanks From:

Good advice
    Thanks for good advice. I think going to events is probably the most effective source as you meet people in person. However, not an option for international merchants.

15. Newsletter Signup