Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    CJ just sent out an email stating that if a member web site does not generate sales for a six month period, a fee of $10 will be charged.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

Here is my response to CJ's letter....

Dear Jeff,

If Commission Junction is going to impose a penalty for not selling, then the company needs to make every possible effort to enable web site publishers such as myself to maximize the effectiveness of their efforts. This is not happening right now.

Specifically, the current CJ system does not provide a per product detail of what is being clicked on by web site visitors. In the case of my particular site, NetSweat.com, I cannot tell if visitors are interested in jackets, athletic shoes, or athletic bras. If this information were made available, I could tailor the products advertised on my site to maximize the marketing efforts (and thereby sales) for both myself and CJ's client, the vendor. Amazon and Performics provide this level of detail. There is absolutely no excuse for CJ not to provide this data and there is certainly no excuse to charge publishers a fee for lack of generated commissions when requests such as this are not being responded to with web site improvements.

I look forward to hearing what CJ is doing to make this much needed data available to all of its publishers.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

Good response, Netsweat. Please let us know what, if any, response you get.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

ABW Ambassador
    Just got that email too. While it doesn't effect me as I do make sales with CJ each month (although Performics is my main network), this new policy is a big hindrance to new sites and to people new to affiliate marketing.

I started my site in May 2002 and joined CJ in either May or June. Didn't make my first sale with CJ until November - just sneaking under their new 6 month cap on sales. For first time publishers who start new sites - especially large ones - and who want to "build in" the links as they build up the site - this 6 month cap is cutting things very close indeed by you factor in the time needed to appear in the SE's.

I understand CJ's reasoning behind this a little, I guess. It's an ok way to get rid of publishers who put up a one page site years ago, plopped up a banner on it, and have forgotten about the site ever since. Fair enough. But this new policy acts as a potentially big deterrent to new publishers since frequently time from concept to time of publication of a web site and its appearance in the SE's can exceed 6 months - and who wants to pay a 10 fee for trying to actively sell CJ products??? I know I wouldn't. Makes Linkshare and Performics and BeFree seem much more friendly to new publishers.

Anyway, my two cents.

Jim

quote:
    Makes Linkshare and Performics and BeFree seem much more friendly to new publishers.

Until they start charging $10

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Let me preface my statement by saying, my site is making 'lots' of money, well not lots, but this clause doesn't effect me at all.

Now that I think about it, this is a silly clause that doesn't mean anything. If you haven't made a sommission in 6 months, they probably don't owe you $10 anyway. But if they do, what they should just do, is send a check for any commissions and end the relationship. I mean come on, your a big company and this little website hasn't even earned $25. (if you had earned $25 they would have paid you) Just gicve them their money and part friends.

It also seems to me, that they want to close the accounts that haven't made a commission in 6 months, this is probably a good thing, but they also want to keep whatever commissions (which probably aren't anything anyway) legally.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow and horse gifts and collectibles

I also understand why CJ is doing this, it doesn't make sense to support a lot of dead weight. Maybe this will encourage a few publishers to become productive.

I also agree with Netsweat - CJ needs to restore the individual product linking functionality it removed! It is ridiculous to know little more than "Product Catalog 1" when someone clicks on a link!

If CJ truly wants its publishers to be more productive, they'll stop removing tools from us that are effective at producing results, and they'll restore the tools that they've removed.

Actions speak louder than words, CJ...when is the product linking information going to be restored so your publishers can be more effective at managing product links?

Andy

It occurs to me that this question has been posted repeatedly over the past few months with no response from CJ. I think it's time we get an answer.

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

As some of you have already said, this policy won't affect you because you are productive. It is designed to only affect publishers who are not generating commissions. I can't imagine that anyone could complain about this new policy. If you are generating at least one valid transaction every six months, you are not affected. If you are not able to generate at least one valid txn within six months, you are not providing any value to anyone (advertisers, your site visitors or CJ). Why would you even want an account?

The main objective of this policy is to get advertisers to pay more attention to the publishers that are generating commissions and not worry about publishers that are incapable of making money. Instead of looking for needles in a haystack, they can just focus on a pile of needles.

Any publisher that wishes to close their account and collect their balance can do so. Most of the accounts affected by this policy have a zero balance. They are not being charged anything - their accounts are just being closed.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    I have no beef with the fee either. But it does give me an idea.

Why not charge merchants an exposure fee if they do not convert a sale within, say, a few thousand clicks?

Rock On!

CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks!

Todd!!!

Welcome Back!!!!!!

Glad to see you are here responding to our questions and concerns!!!!!!!!!!

Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Two weeks in India and Thailand. I had a great time but it is good to be back.

I actually got married while I was in India. I married my long-time fiance (9 years). No she is not from India.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Congratulations Tod!

I'm blowing my train whistle. This is great news!

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Todd,

I understand why CJ is doing something like this - getting rid of the "dead publishers". However, you need to remember the effect this has on new publishers. It can take 6 months from the time someone begins work on a web site to the time it pops up in the SE's. So, here some guy might be working diligently on their site, but because the site is new and not established, sales may be slow to non-existent due to low to non-existent traffic - thus you remove them from your program.

If Performics used your formula, I wouldn't even be in their program anymore. I joined Performics in April 2002, the day my site (all of 5 pages at the time) went live on a server for testing purposes. The site was finally "sort of" ready for publication by August (it's a large content site). It finally appeared in the SE's beginning in October and began to receive ok traffic in November and much more in December. My first sale with Performics occured in late November. Thus, I'd be out of their program now if your formula was used. Would be a bummer, too, since my site has generated 17.5k in sales for them this month alone. Hoping my CJ sales will someday catch up with these numbers!

Anyway, my point is this. Your 6 month deadline is in my own opinion arbitrary and will hurt new publishers (i.e - people new to the game like I was back in April 2002). What you need to do instead is to figure out how to weed out the old, dead publishers that have been with CJ for a long time while still be "inviting" to new publishers - giving them the time they need to launch decent sites that are capable of making sales. Not all new sites - especially large content heavy sites that take a while to build - will be capable of making sales within 6 months.

Think you need to build in some exceptions for new publishers - otherwise you may end up throwing out some potential "babies" along with the bathwater.

Jim

Jim,

1) I think 6 months is a very reasonable time period to generate at least one valid txn.

2) You can always create a new account and get another six month grace period.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

The notice sure sounded threatening when I first read it.

By the way, what is the minimum, a dollar or cent amount, or a lead that pays 1 cent? In that case it's not such a bad deal.

Maybe this will feel better to the affiliates after some time has set in. After all, sales online may not have fully recovered from last year.

I saw CJ sales at my sites go absolutely flat for six months and it may have been caused by scumware in some cases. Sales were starting to go up before that. Actually, sales are flat via several houses like CJ in my experience. I'm putting out the effort, but not getting any return.

Herb

quote:
    The main objective of this policy is to get advertisers to pay more attention to the publishers that are generating commissions and not worry about publishers that are incapable of making money. Instead of looking for needles in a haystack, they can just focus on a pile of needles.

Exactly! I think it is a fantastic thing that CJ is doing! It will not only allow merchants to focus in on the publishers that are productive it will also help in overall network quality.

The fee as I see it is just a way to legally close the accounts that do not requested to be paid out what was earned by that publisher and ends the nightmare of having to find the publisher also. This set up obviously will not affect publishers who are producers.

I think it is a great affiliate-merchant maximizing initiative!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ClickBank took my whole $10 from my account, $1 at a time. I didn't want to withdraw it, since they have a per-check charge. Wanted to wait for it to grow a bit. Now I'm back up to $10, and I think the minimum check is $10, which I won't have anymore after they take out the charge. So I guess I'll just watch them take away another $10.

Why do I bother with them, you ask? Good question.

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Two weeks in India and Thailand. I had a great time but it is good to be back.

I actually got married while I was in India. I married my long-time fiance (9 years). No she is not from India.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Congratulations!

I hope that was your honeymoon, not a reenactment of the Seinfeld episode, BTW!

ABW Ambassador
    Personally, I'm GLAD that these dead accounts will be closed that haven't earned anything in six months .

Six months is a real LONG time not to earn ANY commissions, and whatever is going to help CJ run smoother and process data more effectively is fine by me.

I do have a question though, which was not made clear in the email .

If one publisher account has several sites listed under it, and one or more of them are not active , but others are earning commissions daily, would a $10 charge apply to each inactive website site account owned by the publisher, or does this charge only apply if the entire publishers combined sites /commissions add up to ZILCH for six consecutive months ?

I have one site that I really should delete / close out with you guys, but every once in a while , by some freak of nature, it does make an occassional sale .

quote:
    I hope that was your honeymoon, not a reenactment of the Seinfeld episode, BTW!

They call it a "Wedding Moon" when you do both at once.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd,

For the benefit of those whose commissions hover on the brink of costing them their account, perhaps someone in your organization could program a little doomsday countdown box to show on their program manager view. Just for fair warning that the end of the (CJ) world is coming?

Then, at least something would be changing in their reports.

Herb

quote:
    If one publisher account has several sites listed under it, and one or more of them are not active , but others are earning commissions daily, would a $10 charge apply to each inactive website site account owned by the publisher, or does this charge only apply if the entire publishers combined sites /commissions add up to ZILCH for six consecutive months ?

Good question. The account is only inactive if all of the websites generate no commissions within six months. So in your example, you would not be affected.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

is this per site or per account? I have a number of sites on my account. One isn't even started yet.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Todd,

But somehow your reply wound up in another thread , glad I popped in here for the answer

Edited to say ...
    OMG, I'm so wrong, how embarrassing - right thread , good night all

Todd,

Sorry to be multiposting, but really have to ask -- will this clear the way for hybrid deals? That is, per sale/per lead/per impression?

After all, we are flogging their brands around and that has to be worth something, even if very little.

Just wanted to be the very first one to ask.

Regards,

Herb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast