Unhappy CJ is "investigating" my account, what now?
    First of all, I've searched the forum and didn't really find much help, mostly just "contact CJ" which I've already done and I'm awaiting a response.

Okay, so today I got an email saying that CJ is investigating my account and they asked me to: "Please explain how you drive traffic to your site and how do you promote CJ advertisers."

I responded immediately with the truth which is that I get organic search engine traffic and traffic from back links.

I know what this is about, last month I got a HUGE surge in traffic, like 1000 views in a day versus my normal 50-80 views and I earned $300+ in one day. This was because I posted a link to my site in the comments section on a VERY popular financial guru's blog. The blogger had mentioned survey sites as a way to make extra cash and I posted a link to my webpage on my favorite survey sites. I wasn't spammy at all and several people thanked me for the link since the guru didn't really post the names of any and a lot of people were left hanging.

So I have told all of this to CJ and I am awaiting their response. Is there anything else I need to do? Should I provide screenshots of the link, my stats, or anything else? I haven't done anything wrong (I just re-read the TOS and PSA to make sure) but I'm really nervous about not getting paid. I've read some horror stories and I know logically that most of those are probably people who were breaking the rules but I can't help but worry.

If that's the truth you have nothing to worry about. They are just checking up.

Quote Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
    If that's the truth you have nothing to worry about. They are just checking up.
    Yep, definitely the truth. I was mostly just curious if I should go ahead and send them some proof of the reason for the traffic surge. I responded to their request almost immediately and they haven't replied yet. I guess I'll keep waiting and if I don't hear from them by this afternoon, I'll try to call.

Interesting that they would launch an investigation on such low traffic and dollar numbers.

I've often known that if I were to ever get a big traffic surge, I should be on the phone with all of my reps to explain what is going on, but I always thought it would be about 20x what you experienced. If this was lead gen, then maybe your merchant didn't like the quality of the leads? The merchant must not get much volume on CJ?

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Interesting that they would launch an investigation on such low traffic and dollar numbers.

I've often known that if I were to ever get a big traffic surge, I should be on the phone with all of my reps to explain what is going on, but I always thought it would be about 20x what you experienced. If this was lead gen, then maybe your merchant didn't like the quality of the leads? The merchant must not get much volume on CJ?
    I suppose that's possible since this would probably be leads that aren't used to surveys and maybe they're joining but not participating. My main affiliate on CJ is a major survey company and I've been sending them leads for several months. I had a few larger traffic months before the Google updates and my site traffic went down. When the traffic was good, the company even bumped me up to their highest commission because they liked the traffic I sent them.

Direct quote from the email the company sent me (with name removed):

"Since you have sent excellent quality leads that have generated ongoing panelists to {company name} via their affiliate program in CJ, they have decided to extend you their highest commission rate offered - $4.50 per lead."

This was back in August. Now this is happening. Do you think I should email them directly?

The thing that's really annoying is that I considered contacting CJ to let them know about the traffic surge but I thought it would make me look stupid. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it.

it might not hurt to send them more info and ask if they need anything else. keep communication going until they say it's all good. something similar happened to superCool and the continued communication helped iron out their concerns

good luck

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    it might not hurt to send them more info and ask if they need anything else. keep communication going until they say it's all good. something similar happened to superCool and the continued communication helped iron out their concerns

good luck
    Thanks for the advice! I will go ahead and do that. I also emailed the company that I got most of the leads for to see if they initiated the investigation and let them know what is going on. I've spoken with them before for a different issue and they were very helpful.

I have a whole list of affiliates they should investigate, but they won't because they make them too much money.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    I have a whole list of affiliates they should investigate, but they won't because they make them too much money.
    I'm sorry to hear that.

For what it's worth, my balance is now reflecting a payment. That's good news for me, right?

I heard back from the company and they said that my leads are fine and they didn't initiate the investigation. The manager also said that she'd contact CJ and give them positive feedback on me as an affiliate. Hopefully that will get things moving in the right direction.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Send CJ your phone number and offer to schedule a call, shows good faith on your part.

15. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Send CJ your phone number and offer to schedule a call, shows good faith on your part.
    Good idea! I just did that.

They did send me an email last night and all it said was "Thank you on you prompt attention and response to this issue." They really don't say much, do they?

EDIT: I just noticed the typo in that. You'd think if they're going to send such a short message, it would have proper grammar, lol.

17. Thanks From:

Less is more!

I sent my phone number and told me they could call me. I checked this morning and it was marked as solved. Hopefully they got what they needed.

Sounds like you are safe!

Quote Originally Posted by jersharocks View Post
    I sent my phone number and told me they could call me. I checked this morning and it was marked as solved. Hopefully they got what they needed.
    Hope you stick around ABW jersharocks it sound like your on the up & up and ABW is great place for honest affiliates.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

22. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Sounds like you are safe!
    That's what I was thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Hope you stick around ABW jersharocks it sound like your on the up & up and ABW is great place for honest affiliates.
    I plan on it!

ABW Ambassador
    I would try to stay away from leads with CJ as they get uptight with any increase in traffic or sales. I also went through the same BS once and you can find my old thread. It was one big headache and I never want to go through that again.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glittered View Post
    I would try to stay away from leads with CJ as they get uptight with any increase in traffic or sales. I also went through the same BS once and you can find my old thread. It was one big headache and I never want to go through that again.
    Well, I get the highest commission for this particular company through CJ. It's $4.50/lead here vs $3.20 at the next highest network. Plus, the other network has a lead cap and I have yet to hit a cap on CJ. Even with their annoying "network compliance," I think I'll stick with CJ unless I can set something up directly with the survey company or I find a better offer elsewhere.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread