How do you convince affiliates to put your banner ads on their websites ?
    Affiliate Managers,

I want to know, when recruiting affiliate outside network, how do you convince someone to put banner ads of your affiliate program. Do you offer them free giveaways ? Do you ask them for paid placement ?

In addition to giveaways and paid placement, do you need to convince them that your affiliate program definitely generate sales if they put ads for certain time ( say 30-45 days).

What are some effective strategies ?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You have to write a compelling recruitment template then customize it to each affiliate you sent to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    You have to write a compelling recruitment template then customize it to each affiliate you sent to.
    That's all.

Suppose, I am contacting a blogger whose site caters traffic of our interest. But why would he want to join our network when there are programs like Google Adsense, which pays him just for clicks and impressions.

You know, selling products is not easy. An affiliate can use their sidebar space for programs like Adsense or paid placement, rather than promoting our products.
    Last edited by ishank; November 19th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Yup, that's basically it. If you are making an effort with someone who uses AdSense, you might want to include in your compelling narrative that - "Affiliate Marketing and AdSense can compliment one another. Some A-B testing can prove that out - or disprove it, as the case may be. But the only way to find out is to give us a try."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

That's your job to convince them of the value of becoming an affiliate. Setup a tracking spreadsheet or use a contact manager to set reminders to follow-up. Once every two weeks if often enough and after 2-3 attempts stop as they are not interested or its going to spam folder. You need to be sending 100's of emails to get a few a week to join.

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Yup, that's basically it. If you are making an effort with someone who uses AdSense, you might want to include in your compelling narrative that - "Affiliate Marketing and AdSense can compliment one another. Some A-B testing can prove that out - or disprove it, as the case may be. But the only way to find out is to give us a try."
    Thanks. Hmm, that's could help. But, it would be a difficult task though. It's all about testing again and again.

But, how to compete with paid placement ads ? The only way I see is to purchase ads space on affiliate sites. Is this the only method affiliate manager use to acquire a banner space on affiliate sites ?
    Last edited by ishank; November 19th, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

You can offer them a commission increase (permanent or temporary) if they place your banner up within a certain period, say 3 days. Sometimes it is actually more effective to have them use text links within an article than banners.

Quote Originally Posted by sbizideasblog View Post
    You can offer them a commission increase (permanent or temporary) if they place your banner up within a certain period, say 3 days.
    In this case, I believe good landing pages and high conversion rate of merchant sites are very important factors for convincing affiliates sites to put banners on their websites.

Affiliates are smart and will figure that out quickly when they aren't getting any conversions from us...when they figure it out, they will go somewhere that has a better "offer". I believe (I may be wrong) that keeping affiliates in program is one of the most challenging part in affiliate management.

There is something I am interested to know, and that's why I started this thread.

In order to convince an affiliate (outside affiliate network), do you think an affiliate manager should buy advertising spot on affiliate site's sidebar, lets say for 30 days ?

Has anyone tried this before ? How good is the conversion rate for banners (say,25x25) on sidebar?

Quote Originally Posted by sbizideasblog View Post
    Sometimes it is actually more effective to have them use text links within an article than banners.
    From my experience, I also believe text links convert better than banner ads.

Check out AvantLink which has the ability to purchase ad space from affiliates.

Affiliates are smart and will figure that out quickly when they aren't getting any conversions from us...when they figure it out, they will go somewhere that has a better "offer". I believe (I may be wrong) that keeping affiliates in program is one of the most challenging part in affiliate management.
    I disagree, I see affiliates leaving if your payout, support or conversion sucks. Not because they are always looking for a better offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ishank View Post
    In order to convince an affiliate (outside affiliate network), do you think an affiliate manager should buy advertising spot on affiliate site's sidebar, lets say for 30 days ?

Has anyone tried this before ? How good is the conversion rate for banners (say,25x25) on sidebar?
    Click through rates will be higher in the header, which is why it usually costs more. It will also vary depending on your offer and ad as well as how well it is targeted to the audience.

I saw a webinar once on media buying. They said you should have at least a few thousand to invest. A lot of them will lose money, but you just keep paying for the ads that ROI and eventually buying ads can make you good money. Personally, it's not something I would try when I'm just starting out, but it's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ishank View Post
    Affiliate Managers,

I want to know, when recruiting affiliate outside network, how do you convince someone to put banner ads of your affiliate program. Do you offer them free giveaways ? Do you ask them for paid placement ?

In addition to giveaways and paid placement, do you need to convince them that your affiliate program definitely generate sales if they put ads for certain time ( say 30-45 days).

What are some effective strategies ?
    Simply offer him to put your Banner, with these guidlines,
    If i got sale from your site i'll pay you (x%) commission.
    If i did not get any sale than i'll not pay.
    Tell him benefits of selling banner space, you can change his mind by offering i'll bring more paid customers for banner/text Ads. etc etc

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread